1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Google: A new approach to China

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I support Google's decision to fight China.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-approach-to-china.html

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wow, this could really suck. I must say though, that for whatever reason, Chinese people are notoriously lacking in terms of spyware protection. And even softwares people normally use tends to be pretty shady. So I can see how these gmail accounts can be hacked. Really in cases like this, being more prudent with your own computer security is necessary.

As for google.cn pulling out, I don't know what would the results be. Most people in China uses baidu.com, which is a horrible search engine that let websites BUY placement on the search. I never use it and I think it's the devil. But it is by far the most popular search engine in China. Google doesn't even come close. So for that reason, I'm not sure google has enough clout with the Chinese govt to get this fixed. And google pulling out of China would IMO separate the country even more, creating more of a us-vs-them attitude.

Overall, this sucks.

3. Redneckinhtown

LOL, Google has been a pushover in China for a long time already.

People in Baidu are laughing their asses off and saying "don't let the door hit your heels".

The copycat will live well and better.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Wow google is actually sticking to its moto.

5. cdastros

cdastros Member

Cisco has been a pushover in China along with a lot of other U.S. companies.

6. DollarBill

DollarBill Contributing Member

It sucks! but, it's good to see Google has the balls!

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Not defending Cisco... it was either they build the Firewall or get their tech stolen from them to get it built.

8. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

it was going to happen sooner or later, we will see how this turns out, geez :(

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Hell ****ing yes. I just loathe how easily US companies play china's game.

10. lw449876

lw449876 Member

Business only care about money. I am pretty sure google will bend again sooner or later. It will be foolish to think businessmen have any real principles when profit is on stake. :)

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Except I don't think google's making money in China. Hence making it much easier to talk big.

12. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

This is like Hyundai announcing they're leaving the US market. They might be huge in Korea, but here they're still 3rd fiddle. I'm sure they're breaking out the world's smallest violin for this.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is an embarrassing loss of face for the PRC - MOFCOM, get your house in order.

14. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BIDU

Looks like their stock holders are laughing, too.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"Talk big?" What on earth does that even mean. They described what is happening and the steps they are taking to defend their company. So you are saying that if Google were making big profits in China, they would forget about protecting their intellectual property and the privacy of those many millions who use their service, not only in China, but around the world? Google compromised their business model to be in the Chinese market, with its heavy governmental censorship. The authoritarian government agreed to those compromises, and then proceeded to use Google to spy on its citizens regardless, making a mockery of the agreement. That is way I read it.

Do you care about that? Just wondering.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not if the business is getting attacked.

Have you seen Google's stock? I doubt that they are hurting. So their employees will have to drive BMWs instead of Benzes. Big deal.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is going to be an interesting battle between two heavyweights, Google versus the PRC.

While certainly Baidu is going to benefit in the short term from what I hear Baidu isn't that good of a search engine and in the global economy a primarily Chinese based search engine might not cut it. It will be interesting to then to see if Google will knuckle under to being out of the vast Chinese market or if Baidu can prove to be enough of a competitor to Google to make Google irrelevant as far as the Chinese are concerned. If Baidu can't will the PRC decide for the good of its economic development to agree to Google's terms?

18. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

But it's Great news for BIDU, Google's competitor in China.
    16% gain in 2 days.

19. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

The timing of Google's hint to exit China was suspicious to me when I first read it a couple of days ago.
    In case you are not aware, aside from this hacking allegation, China and Google are also in the midst of copyright infringement accusations about Google's practice of copying books written by Chinese authors w/o government's permission. This practice is akin to the Google book project in the US.
    Seems to me Google and China are having some bad bloods over some issues that might not be fully disclosed at this point. Google could have got China's blessing on the copyright issue if it were to comply with the Chinese government. And Google's hint to exit China could very well be a statement that Google will not bow to China's pressure.
    However, what's odd about this hacking allegation, Yahoo seems to be doing relatively OK in China, why Google couldn't things Yahoo is doing in China and why hackers targeted Google not other search engines (seems to be the case from the report I have read so far)