1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ginobili's future with Spurs uncertain?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by worzel gummidge, Dec 31, 2009.

1. worzel gummidge

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...8vLYF?slug=jy-spurs123109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

As much as I can't Ginobili. I think he would be the perfect two guard in the Rockets system.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Ginobili, Scola and Lowry would be a triple flop threat. :grin:

4. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

I hate Ginobili but it's only because he plays on the Spurs and he's a pretty damn good player. I would love to have him in Houston, I don't care what his stats are. He plays pretty damn hard out there when he's out there, unlike McGrady where even if he was a 100% healthy he'll still coast. Ginobili? He'll play his heart-out each and every game, healthy or hurt, He'll go out there and play.

5. worzel gummidge

http://es.eurosport.yahoo.com/30122009/47/nba-manu-ginobili.html

Translation via Spurstalk:

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I remember Manu saying something before the season about how if the Spurs choose to go a different direction, he wouldn't mind finishing his career on the same team as Scola.

If Manu is willing to take an MLE type contract, I'd think the Morey would be interested unless he got an elite 2 guard from a McGrady trade.

7. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

dude will be an awesome fit with the rockets.. despite being injury prone.. if we get him for 5-6 million for 3 yrs.. it wil be a steal. and it would also depend on whether Scola would sign here.

8. BrooksBall

If Manu was available and willing to take the MLE, I'd say Morey would be more than interested.

He'd probably look like this:

[​IMG]

Ginobili is the kind of player you hate seeing the Rockets play against but would love to have on your team.

Even with his injury issues, it would be more than worth the risk for MLE type dollars. I don't think he'll come that cheap but you never know. His work ethic would fit right in with this group and he'd instantly give us a stud on the perimeter.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't want to underestimate Manu but he isn't the same player. Like the OP implies, his heart is in the right place but the body can't do what it used to do. Giving him a long-term contract (even the MLE) at this point in his career may not be wise. It's possible he could be very effective for several more seasons if his minutes are limited. He's the kind of guy a contender might be interested in, but not the Rockets.

10. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Agreed, I always agree with your posts . ;)

11. BrooksBall

I hear you but I'd say it's worth the risk for MLE type dollars.

I could live with a rotation along these lines in 2010-11 given the fact that landing Wade or LeBron is a pipe dream at best:

Lowry
    Ginobili
    Battier
    Scola
    Yao

Brooks
    Budinger
    Ariza
    Landry
    Hayes/Andersen

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Given he's 33, I think MLE-ish dollars for something like 3-years (which would end up being about $18 mil overall with annual increases) might be enough. Andre Miller got a bit over MLE money for 3 years. I think Manu's had a better resume and Miller, but also has more of an injury issue. Miller is practically an ironman in his career.

I believe the Rockets plan on being contenders next season.

13. BrooksBall

He's still a beast. Ahead of B. Roy in PER.

I do agree with A_3P0 that his age and injury risk need to be considered but I imagine Morey would be willing to go up to 3 years if Manu would take MLE dollars.

14. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

Exactly, and MLE to me isn't that much anyways. I mean, Does anybody really think we'll get Wade or LeBron? Ginobili wouldn't be the wrong guy to sign out of all the guys in the 2010 sweepstakes.

15. BrooksBall

Yea, but we're just talking about the MLE in this thread. Who knows what Ginobili will actually command if he puts himself out there?

I guess Carl Herrera's idea was that maybe he'd take a discount to play with Scola and that Morey would be willing to take the risk for that kind of money.

16. Entropy

Entropy Member

Ginobli on the rockets ? Everyone's eyes would burn in their eye sockets at the display of ineffable HEART.

17. devin23

devin23 Member

Would make an interesting relationship with manu and scola...

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I'm not sure if he'd be willing to take the MLE. If he wants market value then we may have to renounce Lowry and Chuck Hayes to get him. Still...

Brooks/Conroy
    Ginoblattier
    Arizinger
    Scolandry
    Yaodersen

Top 5 team...

19. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Team ArgenChina

Manu Scola Yao. Somehow obtain Yi.