1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giannis Antetokounmpo wins back to back MVP award

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Sep 18, 2020.

1. RocketRed84

RocketRed84 Member

I think Nash deserved his first MVP but that second one....nah

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

There's no reason to be salty about Giannis getting MVP again. He fits the criteria of everything the awarders look at.

Best player on best team, statistically? Check.
    Highest PER in NBA history (31.91)? Check.
    Stats? Check. (29.5p / 13.6r / 5.6a / 1s / 1b)

Homers for Harden, LeBron, Luka etc. can't deny those numbers.

pahiyas and blahblehblah like this.
  3. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Win shares
    Harden: 13.1
    Giannis: 11.1

VORP
    Harden: 7.3
    Giannis: 6.6

WAR
    Harden: 19.8
    Giannis: 13.1

RAPTOR
    Harden: 10.5
    Giannis: 8.8

If you want Giannis for MVP, you are in the majority....... but no, Giannis did not blow James Harden out of the water statistically or in advanced statistics either. Statistically Giannis didn't blow Harden out either....... James scored more, had more assists, twice as many steals and virtually the same number of blocks per game. Giannis had a big advantage rebounding and about a half a turnover a game less.

If your criteria is the best player on the best team gets the award, that is fine...... I think that the best player period should get it. I don;t think people like Derrick Rose and Steve Nash and Russell Westbrook should have won MVP's simply because of media narratives.... Jordan and James should have more MVP's than they do, and Harden should have 3 right now as well.

Yung-T, lilbird20, B-Bob and 6 others like this.
  5. BigTex

BigTex Member

They gonna give it to him again next year lol? He's likely to put up the same numbers & Bucks #1 seed again.

I bet they give it to Doncic if Mavs seeding is high enough. Or Bron/Davis. Curry if warriors bounce back.

Ramo$e likes this.
  6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think the sad state of affairs as far as NBA awards voting goes was made evident by the all nba selections.

The ancient holy trinity of points, rebounds and assists plus name recognition still seem to win out over the much more informative stats we have to show who played better. Efficiency and overall impact metrics just aren’t widespread enough amongst all the voters.

Nook likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

8. JW86

JW86 Member

WOW couldn’t even get Damian’s name right. And this explains his bias against the Rockets.

Rocket River likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't even know how he won DPOY

Rocket River

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Seriously . .. .
    MVP = I like this player and hate this other player of the year

Rocket River

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

He was the best role player in an MVP Team... making him MVP? Switch him out with the Rockets... would you be saying the same thing?

Harden won a scoring title and led the league in steals with a broken Russel Westbrook and having to adjust his game with his main scoring partner - Clint Capela. They should have given Clint his money then add on some real shooters. I really miss Capela's D and pnr ability in the playoffs- where he really excelled. I could have seen Capela really peak in this year's playoffs. Then, no one could really match up with harden/capela pnr coupled with the shooters we got on the outside. Just really sucked. The heart of the rockets are/were James/Capela/PJ tucker... and EG on the bench. Alas.

Rocket River likes this.
  12. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Lebron was robbed, just like Harden was robbed last year.

Not sure why the NBA loves Giannis so much. He's such an overrated player. He's also such a boring player to watch.

Richie_Rich and Rocket River like this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I never really care about the awards and the All Star voting. In sport, you should win by playing, not by getting votes.

And this is not the first time the MVP got spanked in the playoffs. It's pretty embarrassing because playoffs performances get more attention. They should include the playoffs for the awards.

14. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Nothing to see here........

Move along.

15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Only on Rockets and Lakers boards is there even any discussions of Giannis not deserving the MVP. At least with the Laker/Lebron fans, Lebron is a multi-time champ and widely recognized as the best player in the NBA for the past decade +.

16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

he might even need 2 championships, much less 1, to get another mvp. granted, lebron managed to get his 3rd before winning (he won that same year) and that was even following his worst playoff moment ever against the mavs, so maybe he could get another one without a title, but lebron was also basically seen as the no doubt about it best player and giannis isn't right now.

17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Media Valuable Player

Criteria
    Good Looks, Light Skin, Can be in any Commercial or Promotet, Jersey Sales, Nike Promoter, Offensive Foul Dunker. #1 Seed with a First Round Exit.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

well deserved. he's prolly a top 3 goat, so much skill.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Color me contemptuous. Not of the player, but of a system that produces a result like this one. It lowers the value of the award, in my opinion.

20. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Zzzzzzzz......zzzzzzzzz......