1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giannis Antetokounmpo is a growing stud

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by kingkingston, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

They should have kept Brandon Knight.

2. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Why is their record so bad. Last year they were in the playoffs. What changed? Is Monroe one of those guys that make a team worse but gets lots of stats or was Jabari's recovery still a work in progress and he made them that good last year?

3. malakas

malakas Member

Last year there were vets providing spacing and good defence, while this year there is absolutely no spacing and the rim protection is awful.
    I dont' hate Monroe, he has very high bball iq but he needs to play in a more traditional sheme that parks him near the basket and doesn't have him move around doubleteaming all the time. Also the pf next to him can't be Jabari because right now Jabari is the worst defensive pf in the league.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

he's going full Morey. that clumsy slow sf is going to be your pg?

5. i3artow i3aller

6. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

But if he knows this NOW and has the whole summer to work on this game and his work ethic and attitude are correct...

On the other hand if your name is MCW or Tyler Ennis, there might be salt pouring out of your pores next year. (NPI)

7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

My question is, can he do the things he does now against elite level PGs? They will be much quicker and have (more often than not) better perimeter defense than SFs and PFs that he usually plays against. Also, I do not watch any Bucks games, so I cannot really say how he fairs against his opposition anyway.

8. cebu

cebu Member

he's liek a combo of Yao and Tmac.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Seems like an evolutionary Lamar Odom. Maybe I need to watch some Bucks games next year. Hell, I should've watched him this year since the Rockets didn't play.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

So he's always hurt ?

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Every time I see this thread, I think it says he's a 'growing turd'.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Personally I think Greek Freak is the only thing holding up the bucks, Monroe's ok but honestly he might be overpaid and Jabari is all flash no substance, he's like a poor man's David Lee not as good offensively but just as bad defensively at this point.

Putting greak freak at pg is a huge mistake, the other poster is correct he should be played as the next gen Lamar Odom all that length and athletecism is gonna be wasted if he has to guard quick pgs unless Kidd plans to field the tallest lineup ever in the NBA with nobody less than 6'8. He can still be played as a point-forward in the same way Tmac was the center of the team's offense, but he should be playing SF so he can also sky for rebs and he doesn't have to provide spacing because his shot is still a work in progress.

13. malakas

malakas Member

there's a big misunderstanding here.
    He never defends PGs. He also extremely rarely gets defended by them. (so far only Sam Mitchell put poor Rubio on him for one quarter and he got completely roasted).
    He is the primary playmaker and plays the "PG" in offence but defends sfs/pfs and gets defended by only sfs or big sgs because almost no pfs can guard him. (except Towns Green and AD).
    When they say "pg" they mean actually pointforward only most point forwards initiate the offence from the wing and are secondary playmakers and ballhandlers, whereas GA is the primary and has the offence go through him.
    And that's it. A guard is still needed to defend the opponent pg and be the secondary or third playmaker/ballhandler.
    That's the role Bayless, Mayo and Ennis have been filling only a better one is needed.
    Someone for example like Delly or Beverly or even Bradley.

And as for Jabari my main hope is that he is extremely aware of his defensive deficiency and it's his main focus to improve in his game. He has the needed lateral quickness to be able to defend sfs he just has horrible awareness. He's only 21 and there's signs already of some improvement.
    I dont' think that he will end up to be David Lee or Love because he has a different mindset. He already blames himself publicly for bad defence something those guys never have done.

And Monroe is a goner. He doesnt' fit with GA or Jabari because he needs the offence to go through him or to be fed in the post constantly which slows down the game and clogs up the paint. Plus horrible rim protection.