1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gerald Green gets a technical foul for stare down after dunk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pmac, Dec 22, 2012.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y0mb897OE8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is there a precedent for this type of tech?

I see these stare downs like every month by someone throwing down a highlight reel dunk.

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

dumb technical

3. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Of course. It's considered blatant taunting and therefore a technical foul is assessed.

If anything, the refs have been letting this stuff go this season more than they did last year.

4. Pringles

Pringles Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IebhPrKQGzs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, taunting calls are quite subjective. And, that's probably why I don't really care to debate whether this is illegal or not.

I'm more wondering if there is a precedent of it being called. I've seen Wade do this literally his entire career and never get called for it.

EDIT: Thanks, Go_Korea. But, that's still slightly different. Yao, got in Ratliff's face and hollered as opposed to just staring. If this is a legit rule, they need to call it all the time. This isn't something that's difficult to call like a block/charge.

6. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Yeah, no, I understand your question. Of course there's "precedent" for it to be called. Watch more NBA basketball. 9 times out of 10, if you stare somebody down for that long, it is a technical.

They are subject to the referee's interpretation, but every year, the Rules Committee meets and discusses the things they want the officials to address during the upcoming season.

One year it was hanging on the rim. This year it's been stuff like the rip-through moves. And yes, one year it was stare-downs after dunks. The NBA was filled with bewildered players who were learning it was no longer acceptable.

What I'm telling you is that from that point on, it has never been acceptable, and if anything, officials have been giving players a longer leash (i.e. 1-2 second stares) than they have in the past.

So I don't know what you're really asking here. You're trying to assess some value judgment to taunting your opponent? Is taunting your opponent cool? No, it's not.

7. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Like I said, pmac. Just watch more NBA basketball, and this won't be such a shock and surprise to you. Players get whistled for this stuff all the time.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

Depends on the player. Gerald Green has a better chance at getting a tech doing this than LeBron James.

9. Pringles

Pringles Member

What you are saying is true. But also pmac is right in that the call is subjective. Premier players like Wade, LeBron, and even our own T-Mac back in the day would make spectacular dunks and stare down. It is rare to see these superstars to get called for taunting technicals.

It's just another part of the superstar treatment for better or for worse.

10. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Fellas, we're in agreement. It just means that the Gerald Greens of the world need to be careful about things like taunting because it's a whistle every time.

Meanwhile, league officials have made it very clear that players like LeBron James can do pretty much whatever they want in comparison. Taunt, hang on the rim, slap the taste off a man's mouth and it's a foul on that man. Like it or not, this is the money-making machinery David Stern has built.

11. VBG

VBG Member

It depends on the player.

Dwayne Wade does this after every one of his big plays and there is never a tech.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You can't tell the context of the call by just watching the dunk. If Green was bickering with the defender or just showing attitude, then the ref needs to call that to keep his head in check.

But yea, it's happened many times before. it just depends on whether it's a "I am the man" or a "fck you" stare.

13. SK34

SK34 Member

Its getting pathetic. he deserves to be able to stare down the player after he dunks on him like that.

14. amaru

amaru Member

quoted for truth.

15. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

No, players don't "deserve" the ability to be able to taunt others if they do something positive on a basketball court. This ain't streetball, this is a professional league.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Doesn't Blake Griffin do it all the time?

17. VBG

VBG Member

should players in the NFL be allowed to celebrate after a sack?

So you're saying you shouldn't be allowed to celebrate after you do something good at work?

18. gah

gah Member

Light taunting is part of basketball culture, if you did that on the street a full court stare down would follow. On the other hand, it is unsportsmanlike conduct. Also, if you're a rookie or seen as a knuckle-head, you'll get those ticky-tacky calls. I hate those fouls they've been calling on Motiejunas and Greg Smith but at least it cleans up their games.

19. Awesome

Awesome Member

Thing is Blake Griffin doesn't scream at the other player like he lost his mind when he dunks on people.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm sure I've seen this called as a technical before, but its not consistently called. Probably the expression on his face had something to do with it as well. Dwywane Wade tends to just blankly look in the direction of the opponent or into the stands.