1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gameplan Win

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coyotetex, Aug 3, 2020.

1. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

Last nights victory against the Bucks was the epitome of a game plan win. The Bucks give up the most 3 point attempts in the league because they pack the paint. The Rockets won because they didn't force their inside game and they put up a record 61 threes.

We didn't get a monster game from Harden or Brody. This was a team win all the way anchored by defense and a grind it out mentality where the Rockets kept on putting up 3s even when they weren't falling early. Great commitment to winning or losing by executing their game plan.

If people are going to hammer D'A for what they perceive to be bad coaching when the Rockets lose, then they need to give him credit when his game planning works. Especially when it works to beat the team with the best record in the league.

The Rockets won despite being out rebounded by 29(!!!!). The guts it takes for a head coach to ignore every ounce of conventional wisdom from the entire history of organized basketball and to believe in his players, his game plan and his data is extraordinary.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think we can make it pretty easy.

This small ball concept was approved by the FO so it was 'ride or die' the whole time.

All in, so they kept saying, one should just evaluate it by results and that would be Championship or bust.

Why should the Lakers be the only franchise rejoicing with the title or disappointed without one?

This is the high standard people should start holding their ballclub to.

I doubt MDA is holding anything back, it's going to be 8 man rotation or 9 to the bitter end.

He is 69, so it would have been his last big gig unless he can Zen deliver multiple ships.

All glory to MDA and the team.

#2 daywalker02, Aug 3, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Hakeemtheking, fattz and amaru like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love your takes @coyotetex !!

Looking forward to more analysis from you.

fattz likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly anyone that complains about the Rockets offense with MDA gets an eye roll from me. He is likely the best offensive mind in 40-50 years. The Rockets have the best or second best offense in the league just about every year with the supporting cast changing.

If someone wants to criticize MDA for his lack of preparation or deferral on the defensive end... so beat it, although most teams defer one side of the ball to an assistant (and MDA has quietly been very involved with defense this year).

Concerning winning titles, there are no years where he should have won and did not win the title. He had the Rockets in position to win a few years ago but lost due to injury.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Excellent take coyotetex. I questioned to myself why Westbrook was taking so many mid-range shots; but I believe
    you are correct. It was by design. We all know that the Bucks pack the paint,

I’ve documented the Bucks defensive 3P%
    above the break and each corner after a game that we lost to them......along with their defensive FG% of each player within 5 feet of the rim. Might as well shoot over those paint packers that go too deep only to get the ball blocked or partially tipped like previous games against the Bucks.

The tip the ball or block it and then get a running fast break down our throats. Nice catch O. P.

Edited: if I recall, the Bucks were poor defensively above the break and one of the corners....but excellent
    defensively in the other corner.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Twitter, game thread posters, even media were literally begging D'Antoni to insert Tyson when Lopez, Boban, fill in blank center were posting up Rockets for "easy" 2's.

But Mike never flinched and neither did the Rockets players, every single one has bought into and fully committed to the system, offense AND defense.

Rocket ball is a thing of beauty!

Who knew math could be so much damn fun!!!!

Patience likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member