1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Game of Thrones' Book 6 'The Winds of Winter' Won't Publish This Year

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BigDog63, Apr 25, 2018.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...-wont-publish-this-year/ar-AAwkA3W?ocid=ientp

This naturally comes as no surprise to anyone who has been following this at all. it was originally supposed to be published a few years ago, although it has taken 6-7 years for each previous book from its predecessor.

My question is: If you had been reading the books...are you all that interested in reading this one now? I was before, but now that the show has surpassed it, the mystery and needing to find out what was going to happen has worn off. I'll probably read it, but I'm not nearly as interested in it as I was before. I am also fairly disgusted with the constant missed publication dates. JRR also intimated that the final book might well need to be 2 books, so readers won't actually find out how things end for...15 years? That's a long time to maintain much interest. Clearly the book will diverge from the show. There have already been the kind of 'that couldn't happen' moments in the show that didn't exist in the books (one of the reasons it probably takes so long to write them).

Who has been reading the books, and what are your thoughts?

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I blame Trump.

With that out of the way, yes I'm still interested in reading it. Mostly because I'm so disgusted with the writing for the TV show that I'm interested to see how the story goes with good writing.

No Worries likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Clearly it is Obama's fault. The policies he put in place with the regulation of too long books have come to fruition. Time for Trump to exert executive privilege and lift that inane order.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  4. conquistador#11

lock HER UP!! The north, If you're listening, I hope you find the missing Raven messages.
    [​IMG]

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think GRR just trolling now

I don't think he even bothered to finish it now

Rocket River

Nook likes this.
  6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think I've watched about three minutes of Game of Thrones. In that time there were like six brutal murders. I'm like... eh. Moving on.

7. TheresTheDagger

I stopped reading after book 3. They are great, but the slog to read them makes Tom Clancy's reads look positively brief.'

The show is giving me the ending I need, and lets face it....the odds of Martin finishing this given his age and lack of dedication is pretty slim.

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, I'm of a like mind. I'll still read it...I'm just not clamoring for it as I was a few years ago. I do think the actual outcomes might well be different, as well as the actual path to the end.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The first 3 books took 4 years to come out, book 4 took 5 years to come out, book 5 took 6 years to come out....and it has been 7 years since then.

I'm not expecting this guy to finish the series at this point, so I don't care if he ever puts another book out.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I've been waiting for GRRM's stupid deadlines for years now. I wouldn't mind it as much if his last two books weren't complete trash and 50+% of it wasn't filed with useless material.

He has gotten into the mindset of pages for the sake of pages since SOS.

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

I watched a few episodes of Breaking Bad within the past decade, despite that, don't ruin this stuff for me..:D

12. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

After HBO utterly jumped the frikking shark in the 2nd half of last season, yeah, I'd prefer to see how the author will finish the gigantic story he created. But like many here, I have doubts he can do it before he dies. Hopefully he'll leave some manuscripts behind so we can see where he aimed things to go.

But after all the waiting and HBO overtaking him, my enthusiasm is reduced.

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

He clearly had other primary interests.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Don't blame me - I supported Ron Paul (in '08).

Anyway I never thought he'd publish another in his lifetime, so I'm not surprised. We'll see what happens after he passes.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not holding my breath (obviously). The author's history with deadlines speaks for itself. Having said that, I will read it when it does come out. Since this topic is in D&D, for some reason I can't fathom, I'll add that of course it is all trump's fault.

16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Ya, should probably have put it elsewhere (didn't even think about it actually).

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not as eager for the books. I do still look forward to it because they are generally well written, and provide depth and detail that the series is missing. However, it's kind of like a waiting for a girl you met. At first, your mind is racing with possibilities, but if she blows you off for too long, you move on and get on with your life. It's possible when she finally gets back to you that you'll give her a chance, but it won't be with the same level of expectation.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Good for you. Glad you stopped by in yet another thread in which you have no idea what you're talking about.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

o_O:rolleyes:

#19 CometsWin, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think he's written himself into a corner honestly and doesn't know how to finish. There is a ton of pressure on him to finish, moreso than usual because usually a book series is completed before it is turned into a TV Show or Movie.

I look forward to the book though.