1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Agents that are left! Power Forward and Centers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tested911, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Why not pick up Justin Williams who has a boatload of potential and has already been proven to be a solid rebounder and shot blocker? He could use the rest of this season to be groomed by Deke to eventually take over as Yao's backup when Deke retires. It just doesn't sound like that bad of an idea to me. I hope he's at least on Morey's radar.

2. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Finding a backup center for Yao

Now that Yao is out, we might as well discuss about finding a backup for Yao next season.

Deke will be gone, Scola can play some but is at disadvantage especially defensively at center position. Chuck can't get it done either.

I believe finding a good backup for Yao is essential to Rockets success. Playing Yao close to 40 minutes a game in regular season doesn't do anybody any good.

So, where do we find that guy? Who would be your target in terms of FA/Trade etc?

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm on the Justin Williams bandwagon. Pick him up and you've got even more options for next season. And he will help out this season.

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I gotta admit, the kid numbers (per 36 minutes) ain't half bad. We should pick him up just based on youth and potential.

[​IMG]

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Justin Williams very efficient player. With 20 mpg or so, he will get you 10 boards and 1.3 points per shot or so. Another Carl Landry with defense and height, less offense. I like it. Git 'er done.

6. Casper

Casper Member

In my opinion we should focus on a solid defensive backup that will protect the paint...or at least make the opposition think twice about attacking the rim.

Ratliff, Elson and O'Bryant will all be free agents next year. I'm not sure about any rights their current teams hold over them...but all of these guys would be serviceable in the aspect that I've mentioned.

As far as a backup big with enough smarts to gel with the Adelman offense...that may be a different story.

7. Sooner423

Yeah, it's really a no risk move. I would even cut one of the Steves to get it done. I just don't feel comfortable having a 41 year old as our only big taller 6'9". That 5.2 fouls could be an issue though. :eek:

8. SilentAssassin

How about Shawn Bradley???

:D

9. kcagbor321

kcagbor321 Member

I wouldnt pick any of those scrubs on my team in a pickup game at the y

10. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Happy Birthday just turned 40 years old
    [​IMG]

11. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

12. Sooner423

I'd take Vlade over some of those guys. I wonder if he stayed in shape.

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

If we're going to go out and spend some money to bolster the frontcourt, why would we opt for a project or a green, inexperienced player?

What's the point? If they cannot make an immediate impact and help us now to make a playoff push and/or help us get past the first round, then I say skip it. Keep what you have, hold onto the salary, and play the guys we have now (give them some experience).

14. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Wow the lack of big men in this league is sad. Maybe Rockets should pick an offensive SF that can spell battier sometimes.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Is there one available?

16. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Maybe Bobby Jones can play the role.

17. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

From what I've seen of him, he's purely a Chuck Hayes on offense. :( I think we signed him to defend taller SG/SFs. My hope for him is that he can develop into a Bruce Bowen type of player.

Although, Adelman has done surprising things to players, so who knows.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If Green does better than expected he will get the role on offense while Jones will get minutes on defense.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Or the fact that all they have at center now is Dampier with Diop shipped out. But who cares about common sense.

20. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Hey man, cut them some slack, Battier is a tricky word to spell.