1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Free Agent] DeShawn Stevenson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JayZ750, Jul 11, 2007.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I know, I know, the Rockets need a PF badly. But, it is appearing increasingly like a potentiality that they may not get one in FA and could try and target one through trade. Joe Smith aside, I think that opens up our FA possibilities.

The latest on DeShawn through Washington Post is Wizards And Stevenson Reach Standstill. Deshawn wants 4 years, 18 million (with raises, probably starting around $4 million/year). Wizards offering 4 years, $15 million (with raises, probably starting around $3.3 million/year). He's unrestricted

When you consider Jason Kapono got a full MLE deal, I think even at $18 million, DeShawn would be a bargain.

Last year, his stats were:

11.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.7 apg, 0.8 spg, 0.2 bpg
    1.45 to/g, 1.9 fouls/g
    He shot 46% from the field and 40% from 3 point line
    He's a legit 6'5 and is strong

I'm sure its not on anybody's radar, but if we swept in and picked someone like him up, it would give us in the backcourt & SF positions:

MJames, Rafer, Brooks, JLIII, V-Span, Sura
    T-Mac, Bonzi, DeShawn, Head, Snyder
    Battier

Battier isn't really alone at the 3 because pretty much everyone but Head at the SG position would be able to slide over.

I think you start actively looking to trade Head at this point. Now you're tradable assets are for sure: JLIII, V-Span, Sura, Head, Snyder and Rafer.

You still have some of the MLE left and the veteran's minimum

This wouldn't be a plan A or B, but since those haven't happened yet, I think the goal should be to make the team overall better, and this does that. For all those out there who thought MoPete woudl be an interesting add, besides from being a little bit short, DeShawn is younger, more athletic, and most recently a better shooter. he seems like a good potential fit in RAdelman's system.

We still have the MLE...if not a PF/Center, we certainly could use some quality depth and need to use on someone. Anyway, just a thought.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks, but, respectfully, no thanks. Neither is he a very good player nor does he fill a need on the Rockets roster, nor is his performance worth his asking price.

3. battousai

battousai Member

before getting him, I would get SF. he would be cheaper and more useful to us.

4. JayZ750

Depends on your definition of very good.

46% from the field is better than our entire backcourt last year (Rafer, T-Mac, Battier, Head). 40% from 3 point line wasn't as smoking as Battier/Head, but was better than Alston/McGrady. It is probably above average for the NBA, though he only has 1 year of consistently shooting 3 pointers. His stats and size would make him the best 2/3 off the bench on our team if signed. Taller than Head, same/better stats. Bonzi is a mystery. Most definitely better than Snyder.

noted in original post. assuming we don't use the MLE on a PF, are you suggesting not using it at all?

Have to disagree there.

Kapono got the full MLE. He's not really a better player (better shooter, sure).

Matt Carroll got $27 million over 6 years. He isn't a better player.

This seems to be market rate.

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I apologize for being rude, but do any of you actually take a look at the roster and take notice we have plenty of back-up 2's, combo guards, 2/3's, etc. Why in the world do we want another one? Unless we are getting Stevie Franchise back, it doesn't make any sense to keep making these guard free agent threads.

6. JayZ750

see post above. DeShawn would be our best 1st option off the bench if signed.

The only player you could argue MIGHT be better would be Bonzi, but that certainly isn't a given.

Again, if the MLE isn't used on a PF, what do you propose doing with it?

And, not to be rude, but do any of you guys ever stop jacking off to Steve Francis? Aside from not being clear at all that he'd be cheaper (unless he's publicly come out and said now that he's gotten paid once he's willing to play for nothing), what about Steve's recent performance (which, over the last year is nothing to write home about), or style of play (which is a ball-dominating, offensive flow interrupting style), or size (at 6'3, he really only can play point), makes him attractive to Houston??

7. jethro5401

jethro5401 Member

I think the idea is that if we were to sign another Guard, we could make one of our other guards expendable (i.e. Luther) or trade the Guard we signed for a PF. I still want Darko, but Morey apparently said that we weren't interested. :rolleyes: Probably because he's asking for 8-9 Mil.

8. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I'd rather Steve Francis for the LLE :cool:

9. mcm1150

mcm1150 Member

Deshawn vs a One-handed Agent Zero in a 3 pt contest; and Deshawn lost.

With that being said I like Deshawn as a player

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The PF will come through a trade so who else are they gonna sepnd the MLE on? He sounds fine to me, they should also look into MoPete

11. JayZ750

I think at this stage of their careers, DeShawn is a better player. Granted, he's been playing on a Washington team that is increasingly having inflated stats, but DeShawn has nevertheless shown improvement, whereas MoPete been kind of going the opposite way. DeShawn is 4 years younger.

But yes, my point is, it seems more and more likely PF will come through trade, which means the MLE shoudl be used on a 2/3 wingman.

I see the choices there as DeShawn, MoPete, Matt Barnes, James Posey, Desmond Mason, Jumaine Jones

Of those, I'd have interest in DeShawn, Barnes, Mason.

I posted about DeShawn because it looks like there might be a negotiating roadblock with Washington...

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Whether Bonzi or Shane starts, those are the people who will be first off the bench following Chuck Hayes (unless we don't get a starting PF).

I propose we do nothing with our MLE. Like Morey keeps repeating, we will look at trading options. Just because we have an MLE doesn't mean we HAVE to use it. There isn't any good free agents out there; this class is rather dry and I don't see a purpose for using it.

Steve has not performed well these past few years because he went to the Knicks. It's ridiculous to think that four guys who have the same mentality wouldn't even co-exist (Stephon, Jamal, Nate and Steve). Three years ago he had the Magic contending for a playoff spot until he went down with an injury and his partner (The Kat) was later traded. I think with Steve is more a emotional issue. I'm willing to take a risk with Steve because I know what he brings to the table. He might not be as a explosive as he once was, but someone in this team needs to bring some fire to the court. Steve would serve that purpose. He might be 6'3, but heck he would give us an advantage to grab rebounds and drive to the basket with authority.

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I like Deshawn OK. One thing he or Pietrus would allow is the flexibility of a trade of Battier for a solid PF if we had to.

One thing is for sure, I like Barnes, Pietrus, and Deshawn better than the FA true PFs available.

That said, I would rather go for Barnes or Pietrus 1st (full MLE). Barnes (UDFA) can play some PF in addition to the swingman spots--many times he, Battier and Tmac could all be on the same court. While Pietrus is strictly a guard or SF, I just think has more upside than Deshawn.

But if Barnes and Pietrus just are not feasible for MLEs (I suspect GS would match Pietrus, but maybe not, they are loaded in swingmen and their Italian rook looks promising on the cheap), Deshawn at about 4/16 mil sounds reasonable.

14. holyman2k

holyman2k Member

back court is too crowded, we need to unload people not get more, get him if we can trade alston for a pf