1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Enron executive found dead in apparent suicide

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MoonBus, Jan 25, 2002.

Tags:
  1. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Former Enron Exec shoots himself in the head!

Ex-Enron executive Baxter dies in apparent suicide

An Enron Corp. executive has been found dead in a car in Sugar Land of an apparent suicide, police said.

Enron officials confirmed the death this morning of J. Clifford Baxter, 43, former vice chairman of the embattled Houston company.

His body and a note were found at 2:23 a.m. today between two medians in the 5200 block of Palm Royal, near his home in an upscale residential area in Sugar Land. He was in the driver's seat of the vehicle and a police officer stopped to check on him after noticing the parked car.

The officer discovered what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound in Baxter's head.

Jim Richard, a Fort Bend County justice of the peace, ruled Baxter's death a suicide mid-morning today.

"We don't have any other indication other than it being suicide," said Sugar Land police Capt. David Marcaurele.

Baxter was vice chairman of Enron when he resigned in May 2001, several months before the energy company's collapse.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I wonder how many times he met with Dick Cheney last year.

This was no suicide.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

That guy will be played by Russell Crowe in The Movie.

5. RocketMan Tex

And Ken Lay will be portrayed by either Tim Conway or Don Knotts.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

So you're saying Bush had him killed?

I'm not trying to shoot you down because I'm open to all possibilities here .... I'm not 100% sure it's a suicide either, but I'm not ready to say the White House is responsible. After all, he was an executive of Enron, did make 25+ million dollars on this deal and probably would have been subject to legal action like the rest of them (even if he was against what was going on, he still sold knowing)

7. RocketMan Tex

No Clutch, I'm not saying the White House is responsible. What I am saying is that it is way past time for the White House to release all information pertaining to their meetings with and connections to Enron. If they are not guilty of anything, why are they suppressing information? Blocking the information makes the Bush Administration look like it's hiding something. And I believe that it is.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm sorry this happened but at least this guy had a conscience. Apparently, it was too much for him to live with cause he knew something was up. I would have preferred he testify about what he knows and live. Give some money back to the victims of the Enron debacle. I'm curious as to what his suicide note said.

In the end, I hope there are no more suicides and the guilty parties end up in jail and forfeiting their money over. They pulled a scam; it's now time to pay the piper.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Ahh .... well I'm with you.... I definitely think they should be coughing up what they know.

One thing that makes me suspicious is this happened in a car. I really don't know, but I wonder how common that is for suicides to happen in cars. Just seems like if this was a murder being covered up, it would be easier and "cleaner" for someone to do that to them in a car. I guess we'll learn more later about where he was that day.

Wow... there was some seriously crooked stuff going on at Enron. Every day it gets worse....

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

That Ft. Bend J P sure "ruled" that it was a suicide quick. What happened to an investigation? At least an autopsy - that's standard in case of a suicide.

11. RocketMan Tex

From what I know, suicides do not happen very often at all in cars, unless the person commits suicide by crashing the car on purpose or leaving the motor running in an enclosed garage. This entire fiasco is getting slimier and slimier.

12. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Gunshot suicides don't happen that frequently in cars....I think carbon monoxide poisoning would be a bit more common.

One of my friends from high school purchased a gun on a Sat and pulled off the freeway on his way to work the next Monday morning...shot himself in the head:(

As for this dude...it's got Vince Foster written all over it. Sad thing about it is....there's wayyyyy too much money floating around for the real truth to ever be known about this and probably a lot of details of the whole Enron collapse.

13. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

sniff... sniff...
    I smell a conspiracy

rH

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Did the guy have family? How sad.

15. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

"You know how many gunmen there were in Dallas? None. Kennedy's head just did that. I call it the no-bullet theory."

Nothing I love more than a good conspiracy theory.

16. Princess

Princess Member

I live about 5 minutes down the road from where all this happened (although, I'm at school right now). It's a very family oriented area, so I would tend to think so. But I could be wrong.

So sad. :(

17. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Rocketman Tex,

Its Ironic that almost every statement you make goes back to your anti-Bush/Republican sentiment. Your comments about releasing all information is fine, but your constant barrage of assumptions about Bush and Enron's demise is based on ignorance and not on fact.

The FACT is that most Enron employees/executives had little to no idea what was happening until it was much too late. In my professional opinion ( I have met with most officials on many occasions including Clifford Baxter ), Ken Lay really didn't have that much of an idea of the complexity and direness of the situation created more by Jeffrey Skilling and Andrew Fastow, who changed Enron from simply Energy and Gas to a trading, asset unintensive firm that funnelled debt to pay for losses in non-core assets.

Enron's policy in regards to Energy, IS NOT THE PROBLEM WITH THE COMPANY, it is its investments in India and its Broadband operations, that caused the funnelling of debt.

We all know that Bush is a financial genius and figured out the complex wave of financial webs to determine Enron's adverse situation when all of Wall Street that met with the firm weekly and the best finance professors in the nation could not.
    (PLEASE NOTE THE SARCASM)

It is simple ignorance to imply that Enron would not be consulted on to formulate Energy policy. Based on last years (QUESTIONABLE NOW) revenues, the company produced a revenue stream of close to 200 billion dollars making it number 7 in the nation and the architect of the deregulated energy model that is being used by Reliant Energy, Dynegy, Duke among others and is even seeping its way globally.

Of course they would be consulted, and with the Republican party having a record of pushing de-regulation to promote better prices for consumers, whether in the Airlines, Phone companies or Energy, the bulk of Political Contributions will go to the Republican party.

"I'm sure Bush also caused the Exxon Valdez to have an oil spill" though that statement is ignorant in nature, with my knowledge of energy policy and Enron in particular, that is how your statments sound to me.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

F.D. Khan, do you feel that the Enron executives who sold their stock high shortly before the collapse should give their money back? Did they violate any laws by pumping the stock and then dumping it shortly afterwards?

Do you feel that Ken Lay should have resigned earlier?

Do you feel that there was any illegality at all in the conduct of Enron managers, officers or directors?

Do you feel that it is desirable for corporations like Enron to make contributions to politicians and then lobby those same politicians to make laws and regulatory changes that benefit their business?

Shouldn't some of them take personal responsibility for their actions?

19. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

I heard a radio report that said Baxter had a wife and two teenage children.

20. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Sorry Khan, whether you like Bush or not he has to release the information. Whether he was part of it or not it has to be released just so we can have all the information. It's pretty sad that so many people got screwed out of their money. And even if some of the employees didn't know, some of them should have been able to protect the people's investments.