1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Forbes: Safest bet for the Rockets this offseason is an Eric Gordon Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Sep 28, 2020.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Can someone in the league office step in and ban the Rockets from trading away every future pick. I miss the NBA Draft.

Little Bit likes this.
  2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Agreed. There is no point in trading Gordon unless you can get someone back in return that is of equal value or you can get multiple rotation pieces that can provide at least as much value.

Trading Gordon to save salary? Might as well trade Harden and dump Westbrook as well and start trying for top 4 picks in the lottery for awhile...our pick is top-4 protected at the very least except for 2025

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Gordon has been part of the core and loyal for the years he's been here

Disappointing year for him, but I'm not too down on the fat contract..

Pat likes this.
  4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I consulted a psychic and she told me Eric Gordon is going to explode for us next year with only one minor injury. Don't do it. ;)

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nwaba then, is that okay?

6. Nook

Nook Member

No, Nwaba has a chance to be a big part of their rotation.

D-rock, Deuce and treyk3 like this.
  7. lloyde8

lloyde8 Contributing Member

But Gordon is a veteran shooter that the Lakers would love to have

8. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

EG has good value to contenders who need a 3rd scorer or a bench scorer. I could see Milwaukee or Philly jumping on him especially if Philly gets MDA. Big question is what we'd get back. He's not who he was a few seasons ago but I'm sure he's not as bad of a commodity as people think.

clos4life and treyk3 like this.
  9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I'm not arguing against the all in philosophy, but just pointing out that we are hitting up against an ever-lowering ceiling. The next step to raise the ceiling is a savvy coach

D-rock and Nook like this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Please trade him. PLEASE!!!

I can't stand this guy how some can't stand Westbrook. Dude needs a fresh start on a new team.

11. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

The alternative was what? Not sign him? You have no cap either way. There’s literally no downside to signing him. Terrible take.

clos4life and D-rock like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, the hope is that the Rockets keep the positives that they learned from MDA and add something from a stronger Head coach and staff.... plus a return to health by Gordon and Nwaba..... and hopefully another key rotation piece for the MLE.

Either way, this experiment has likely one more year unless it proves very successful. If the Rockets fail to make the Finals next year, this thing will likely be torn down. Either Harden and Westbrook will want out or TF will want to begin the process of a rebuild (he has said he will never rebuild but also said he could be talked into it).

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

No downside? He gets injured or plays like trash and becomes unmovable or a huge negative asset. That’s the downside. Now if we want to move him, it will require assets because he’s on a sh*t contract. The real bad take is thinking we should just keep handing out garbage contracts like it’s no problem.

topfive likes this.
  14. xaos

xaos Member

Thanks Forbes for your basketball take

Sean Dr34ms and Haymitch like this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Frazier or Clemons.

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  16. lionaire

lionaire Member

Playoff EG always ends up convincing me that we should keep him. It'll be tough for us to get fair value in a trade.

jcmoon, HP3 and treyk3 like this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Good logical answer.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't get the logic that if you sign a player to a big contract, you can trade him in the future. That's only true if the player performs up to the contract. If he doesn't then he is a negative value. Look at Ryan Anderson. Look at Chris Paul. We had to get worse in order to trade their big contracts.

As for his fit with the head coach. Didn't they have doubt whether MDA would still be our coach after this season?

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If we dump EGo and a pick to save money, that would be the worst move yet in the Tilman era. EGo's stock is at an all-time low. I think he's better than he showed last season. Might as well keep him for at least one more year.

Really, the Rockets should just play out 20-21 and see what happens. This team ain't bad and if nothing else can make an interesting regular season. Then, inevitably, many Rockets fans will talk themselves into thinking that the Rockets are real playoff contenders.

But then we will get eliminated. And that's ok. But at that point we should then enact the tankiest tank in tanking history. We need to tank so hard that Sam Hinkie even thinks we should chill.

jcmoon likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So basically they can grab their own G leaguer.

Other teams do not view Ego as a good contract.

It also isn't near its end and not big enough to considered an albatross contract that young teams can just let it expire and save tons of money with.

#40 daywalker02, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020