1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FISA manipulation] Nunes sending eight criminal referrals to Attorney General

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Invisible Fan and B@ffled like this.
  2. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Dems & Repubs: Here's a chance to open your eyes. The constant bickering plays into their hands.

The IC is finally getting called out by a liberal journalist. And if you've followed his recent trail of articles, it's hard to find an ounce of partisanship. For those keeping score:

• Origins of the dossier - IC
    • Sources (leaks) to the obliging press - IC
    • Whistleblower - IC

It's probably all a coincidence.

3. TheresTheDagger

"Experts" hired by obliging press who espouse the greatness of the IC every night on Cable television - IC

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Ok , I get it , Russia and Putin are the enemy ….

But someone answer me this - What if that "dirt" they had was legit ? Wouldn't we all want to know about that dirt on a person running for President ?! (we still don't know what that dirt was in full).

Why wouldn't the FBI extract that "Dirt" from those Russian sources and verify it rather than do their level best to suppress it ?

The source of factual information to me is inconsequential.

Same goes for the Quid Quo Pro with Biden recently …. Sure , Dumpster's wrong for asking a foreign government to "help him in the election" which exposing Biden does …. but does that somehow give Biden a free pass ?

Seems to me we should be going after a lot more than just Trump here. That would include both Biden's , Hillary and all these jokers who are found to have manipulated the FISA process.

Someone explain to me where I went off the rails ….

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The decision was "justified" and even the report's conclusion says it, but the bar for a FISA warrant is incredibly low. The report won't speculate on whether repudiating the Steele dossier and disclosing Page's contacts with the CIA would have caused any of its four renewals to be revoked but it does make clear that the surveillance never found corroborating evidence of Page being a Russian Agent and even went against the original claims.

All the bad juju you've heard about FISA since 9/11 is still there. It's forbidden fruit, and apparently it's incredibly easy to pluck. Low level FBI agents and lawyers will take the fall, but higher ups supervising and underwriting the warrants strongly felt the need to include the Steele dossier to tip the scales because of the "highly sensitive" political target. There was clear oversight from the chain of command that wasn't explicitly established. Reminds me of Curveball and Iraq.

Greenwald writes well, or so I've heard.

TIL what "predication standard" means.

#25 Invisible Fan, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's cool. I actually do hope that the FBI can get indictments for any wrongdoing, no joke.

We know how it goes in this country. In the courts, you are innocent until proven guilty, but the machinery of government is built to assume you are guilty and then go about trying to prove it. So, in the issuance of warrants everything is geared to say yes, and the only check is the fair-handedness of a judge, the full disclosure by investigators, and a transparent process. The dynamic will be especially bad in a secret court where transparency is difficult. I'm sure that the FBI did what they could to maximize FISC cooperation not just in Page's case but in all cases. The difference is that most of the targets of a FISA warrant don't have any allies inside government. Carter Page has allies, so his case enjoyed some transparency in the form of an IG investigation. Now, maybe more processes will be put in place to avoid excessive scrutiny of suspects that can be enjoyed by Chinese spies, Mexican cartel bosses, and jihadi terrorists everywhere.

But, this is all a very esoteric thing. It's about the FISA court. Folks want to conflate Carter Page and Donald Trump. Even if the FISA Court erred, it doesn't mean Carter Page didn't do anything wrong, and even if Cater Page didn't do anything wrong doesn't mean Donald Trump didn't do anything wrong. As a political matter, it's irrelevant to the presidential politics. FISA has been controversial and problematic all on its own; this whole thing should be divorced from the argument about Russian conspiracy.

In both the case of the dirt on Clinton and the dirt on Biden, the part you're missing is process. In both cases, Trump did not want an official investigation run by the FBI -- which would have been appropriate if either of those two were involved in some international corruption scheme. Instead, Trump wanted to hold it close to the vest so his campaign could use it strategically for an electoral advantage. Even if Clinton and Biden were truly dirty, he was still wrong to not use the established organs for investigating and prosecuting crimes.

The whole drama would have played out much differently if people's first exposure was not a whistleblower report but the announcement by the FBI of an indictment of Joe Biden for corruption. It'd still have been hot, no doubt, but knowing that the FBI was ready to present evidence in court would go a long way in convincing people. Now, if Biden really was guilty in the first place, he's going to totally get away with it because of what a mess Trump has made of it. Trump gave Biden a free pass by running the process through his unelected, unappointed, unaccountable personal lawyer instead of Christopher Wray.

Corrosion, NewRoxFan, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

TruthDig .....You are quite adept at linking some random blog to support whatever you want.

Remind which political party recently increased military spending? Remind me which party expanded FISA the most since 9/11?

More crocodile tears from an article that doesn’t even acknowledge that Russia meddle in our election and the elections of Western European allies....Try again.

8. dmoneybangbang

Lol.... you don’t think this was addressed post 9/11 with the Patriot Act and expansion of FISA by a liberal journalist? Come on.... you’re embarrassing yourself.

Trump had information sharing with Russian linked contacts during the campaign. Seems like something that should be watched...

9. cml750

cml750 Member

I have seen you mention the part in bold in multiple post. What exactly are you referring to?

10. dmoneybangbang

With the process as Juan put it...

So instead of a transparent investigation into Hunter Biden... Rudy Giuliani is sent in secret.

11. dmoneybangbang

The Mueller Report and it’s conclusions. It would be wrong to conclude that because collusion didn’t meet the “legal threshold”, Trump’s campaign didn’t have contact and information sharing with Russian linked associates per the investigation.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. cml750

cml750 Member

Please explain exactly which contact you are referring to. Just saying the Mueller report(or more accurately the Weissmann report) says something does not tell me much. What specific part of the report are you referring to?

13. dmoneybangbang

If you had taken the time to read the report instead of listening to political commentary, you’d know this.

Be clear with what you are asking for... do you want to know which volume and section I am referring to?

14. cml750

cml750 Member

lol, that is a comical claim. I have actually read the report. If you had you would be able to cite what I am asking. You do not have a clue other than what you have heard from the talking heads in your echo chamber.

15. dmoneybangbang

Lol.... And yet you seem to be ignorant of the findings.... I don’t have the exact location memorized of report that is several hundred pages, shouldn’t you remember reading about this?

I just wanted to see if you were serious, but it appears not. This is where you should start... the full report is in there if you cared to follow along:

Why ‘numerous links’ between Trump campaign and Russia didn’t add up to conspiracy
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/w...ampaign-and-russia-didnt-add-up-to-conspiracy

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

The Mueller Report also found that Trump and his campaign deleted communications...

Nook, B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Concerning the dirt from the Russians, that was released through Stone and Assange before the election. I haven't heard of there being any other dirt.

As for Biden.

What proof is there of wrong doing by Biden in relation to the Ukraine?

In 2014 the State Department did an investigation for a conflict of interest and found nothing.

The Ukranian Prosecutor General said there is zero evidence of Biden doing anything wrong.

When the elections were held in the Ukraine, the new Prosecutor General said that he looked into the case (as required by law) and found no evidence of Joe Biden having done anything wrong.

In October of 2019 Lindsay Graham said he is under tremendous pressure from the White House to open an investigation into Biden but he would not do so because it would be a sideshow. Now, suddenly he has changed his mind.

Even former Trump Envoy to the Ukraine Volker said that there is no evidence of any corruption by Biden and the call to look into it was a self serving wish by the President.

The claims of Biden corruption came from a book written by someone associated with Breitbart News and has no proven factual basis to it. It has become popular in Russia though on their state news.

I cannot stand Hunter Biden, and I know he is the son of Joe Biden....... but Joe defends him too much. Biden was offered a spot on the board of the company when he had little background in the field. My understanding that Biden held several roles in the corporation prior to becoming a board member.

Did they name Hunter Biden to the board in the hope that it would be looked positively upon with the US government back in 2014? I think the answer has to be yes, otherwise there was no reason to name him to the board. It wasn't his area of specialty. Is there any evidence that they ever communicated that to Hunter or Obama or Joe Biden? No there isn't. It is a lot like donations to politicians and lobbying. There isn't a standard please help us, but they still give money hoping their voice will be heard.

I agree with some of those in the Obama administration at the time that felt it was classless and did not look good. However there is no evidence that I am aware of that supports what the Breitbart backed book claims. It has now been investigated by two separate Prosecutor Generals in the Ukraine. It has been investigated by the State Department and nothing has been found.

18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

New Records Bare Extensive Links Between Devin Nunes Aide And Lev Parnas

"The information is particularly problematic for the GOP congressman — the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee — because of his role in the House impeachment hearings concerning Donald Trump’s pressure on Ukraine to announce an investigation into the president’s political rival Joe Biden. Nunes participated in the hearings and strongly defended Trump, even though the records indicate he may have been involved in the operation. Nunes has denied any role in the scheme to press Ukraine to investigate Biden.

But text messages released Friday between Parnas and Harvey indicate that Nunes’s office was aware of the operation at the heart of the impeachment inquiry and that he sought to use the information Parnas was collecting. Texts show that Parnas was working last spring to set up calls for Harvey with the Ukrainian prosecutors who were allegedly providing information about former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter to Giuliani, Trump’s personal attorney."

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/devin-nunes-lev-parnas-trump-aide_n_5e2285e8c5b632117613ed0d

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clinesmith pleads guilty to falsifying email.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's good the Hillary shill is convicted but nothing is being done to reform the underlying problem of an insanely powerful yet secretive FISA court prone to easy abuses.