1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I am willing to give Bill O'Brien much more leeway...He had two seasons with mediocre QB play...and found a way to get it done in the division. That doesnt excuse him for a weak approach to start the game Thursday night... The wheels really fell off when we spotted a Rookie QB a ten point lead at their house. They had a poor defensive game plan that allowed them 3 points to start. There was zero reason for that. If a rookie QB is taking a chance at read option...I as a defensive player would have laid his ass out...

I cant reiterate this enough. We lost because of special teams...two TOs on kickoff returns that gives the ball to your opponent inside the 20 on the road are disasters anywhere...regardless of our opponent. When the special teams sets the offense back...and puts tremendous pressure on a defense...the whole team fails. It is what happened in the first half of the game. The second half they just played power football against a bunch of pansies...

The special teams coach would be on a very short leash for me.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Double post

#62 DonkeyMagic, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt the strategy was questionable at best but you can't blame coaching for interceptions and fumbles and those turnovers were what got this team on tilt

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

BoB is a young coach. It would be downright silly to fire him. We're gonna win 11 or so games. He's had a great start to his career

5. IBTL

IBTL Member

benefit of doubt states to let it slide. the warnings signs are there -
    think back to mallett playing better than using the wind getting knocked out as excuse to put in hoyer. that whole scene was creepy and mismanaged. screamed of amateur hour.
    did you see his deer in headlights look in his interview at halftime against pats. he looked like he was completely over his head and had just gotten his girl stolen.

he oftentimes when in tough times looks genuinely dumb. I know that might not be fair as its his look and how can someone look dumb? then ask yourself if you feel like he 'looked smart' when he had to have lechler coach him. yes the freaking punter is more on it than this bozo and his team of clowns.

this guy should have a super short leash but he fits the mo and thats conserviak version 2.0
    I think this guy is looking like he is WAY over his head.
    then again I was always surprised conserviak himself could even tie his shoes and he has a ring. but BOB? mediocre treadmill but thats exactly along the lines of taking of this ownership group. this is par.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's like nobody realizes he took over a 2-14 team.

7. dookiester

dookiester Member

A 2-14 team that just went 12-4. It was a miserable season but it wasn't like O'Brien stepped into a dumpster fire devoid of talent.

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Those player mistakes did put the team into a deeper mess, yes no doubt. Mistakes like that are terrible, but its not like Texans haven't had multi-turnover games before. The Texans still had 10 other offensive drives past the miscues, and did nothing with them. And not only did nothing they looked incompetent.

Totally SHUT OUT (twice) for first time in 13 years is a big deal.

Even when Schaub became a Pick-6 machine, at least the team was in some position to still compete within the games. It seems when it goes bad for BO'B strateg it goes really bad.

I have no doubt the Texans will still win games with BO'B. Though the mark of a team is how they show against the GOOD teams if you're serious about winning. Its not even if you win, its do you give them any scare, any threat. Texans look like the old expansion team coming out of preseason in those situations.

You can't go into those matchups knowing you're going to wilt. It simply adds up to "NO TRUST" until proven otherwise.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Time to fire BOB. He'll never win a Super Bowl just like Kubiak never could here. Time for him to go win it somewhere else.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member

its like nobody realizes this excuse was used before. same old spin.

for longest time they clinged to the 'expansion teams aren't supposed to be good' that was a horse they beat way past its expiration.

its amazing how long they have gotten away with this ...with such a forgiving and almost depressingly sad fanbase in terms of undying loyalty and belief in this ownership group. I dont get it and never saw quite the same passion for the oilers.

its just weird to me and this ownership group get a big pass around here by people that are so homer and brain washed it feels more like sea org than it does nfl org.

lechler calling challenge flag and obrien fumbling around like a baby in diapers was nothing short of scary.

indy and jacksonville imploding actually makes caring about winning even less important to this ownership group. almost validates half assing it. be a 'playoff' team backing into it every year until they finally change the rule on seeding. mcnair will go around telling everyone about our winning record at 9-7 and 'playoff'team. something to hang your hat on kinda thing and the homers will eat it up..lap it up. .the proverbial fat daughter with the winning smile.

tmactoyao and mick fry like this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

This loss is the BEST thing to happen to the Texans. It is like that Miami game last season. It is the wake up call that was needed. Luckily, it is earlier in the season and the Texans are in a better position record-wise.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If anything fire Godsey.

Crashlanded19 and mick fry like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Well if BOB doesn't work out:

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

Baby Shan anyone?

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Uh... they lost to the 49ers, 34-3, and the Rams, 38-13, in consecutive weeks before he was benched.

And I guess everyone has just conveniently forgotten how the 2009 season opened. Everyone is acting like this team has never laid an egg before...

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

UUUUUH....:rolleyes:

The first game of the Pick-6 streak where they WON vs the Titans.

And the 3rd game of 4 where they could have won, but lost in overtime to Seattle

Competive-Dud-Competive-Dud. That's still having a chance within games

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Texans have been blown out in every game in Foxboro and as bad as it was last week we were closer than the past 2 appearances up there.

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

BO'B.....nah. I generally like what his vision for this team is.

George Godsey however, if his offense suffers another shut out or 2 FG game I think it would be well past time to say goodbye.

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Since people are going to blame BOB and Smith not bringing in Sullivan:

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Will JJ on IR buy BOB another year?