1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Texanstradamus

Only criticism I have for Watson is he is hurting himself with the O’Brien love fest after that 4-12 season when he got hurt he openly stated he only wanted to play for OB and O’Brien got another extension I get he like the guy but man if you want to win maybe he should of waited till he had a few seasons with him

Blatz and raining threes like this.
  2. raining threes

The Mercilus, Nick Martin signings are real head scratchers. Avg players who are overpaid lead to losing teams.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Fairbairn faints

4. bobrek

BoB needs to hire the guy that designed this play

RayRay10, arkoe, red5rocket and 4 others like this.
  5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Damn, that's the longest lateral sequence I've seen in my life. The other team got tired of chasing them and gave up. Good example of persevering!

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

A 10 point game minimizes what you all have to do to not lose the game at that point (TD+FG). Kicking the PAT doesn’t really do anything other than add another conversion on top of the TD+FG you already need. Yes there is a downside and either way you'll need a 2 point conversion. But think the idea is do what you can now to make a comeback as manageable as possible.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. bobrek

59 seconds. I was impressed with the discipline that no one tried to be a hero and there were always a couple of options to pitch back to.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, that goes on the short list of craziest HS plays I've ever seen.

RayRay10 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. Major

Major Member

That chart seems dumb.

If you're down 1, you go for 2?

if you're down 4, it doesn't have a preference? Why would you not get it to a FG game instead of risking needing a TD?

If you're down 10, you go for 1? What's the point of being down 9?

If you're down 18, you go for 1 instead of trying to make it a 2 possession game, but if you're down 19, you go for 2 to get yourself down 17? Why?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

Every defense this year is going to look terrible against KC, so I'm not sure you can take anything away from the game about the defense. The offense is supposed to be the strength of this team, though.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. bobrek

Personally, I'd always got for 2 unless it is in the last minute and a kick will win or tie. And the kick for a tie is debatable depending on how shocking a win would be.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

I got exhausted just watching. My favorite was the lady saying "What are we doing?"

RayRay10, Shark44 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Major

Major Member

I'd generally agree - you'll win more games in the big picture, but you'll probably also lose some games you would have otherwise won, potentially getting you fired. But I think there's a lot of 2nd half situations where you don't. For example, if you were up 2 and score to go up 8, take the XP to get to 9 instead of risking leaving it a 1-possession game. Also, if you're a sucky offensive team, you probably shouldn't do it unless absolutely necessary.

I really liked when Philly (?) would just always go for 2 on their first TD if they scored first, just to try to create a situation where the other team was always chasing that point.

DonnyMost likes this.
  14. bobrek

Right...i should have caveated that with having a reasonable offense and QB. Regardless of whole game strategy, I agree with going for 2 when you're up 6-0.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Can't remember which HS team around here had a coach (may still have him) who onside kicked every kickoff, went for it on any 4th down outside of, say, his 30, and went for 2 every time.

Saw one of their games and it was most entertaining.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Texanstradamus

They overhauled the offense and no camp cooks and Cobb barely practiced from what I heard so it is gonna take some time for the timing and chemistry to come together

17. Buck Turgidson

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

BoB fans want us to keep waiting soon just wait the offense will hit top 10. Just wait a few more years.

19. Texanstradamus

I’m just talking about sense it was an overhaul on offense like I said O’Brien has this and next season to put it together before he is gone and a new regime is in 2022 we will have all our picks again

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

What if he ends up trading 2022 and 2023 for special teams players? Then we have to wait two more years?

RayRay10 likes this.