1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Explain your love for animals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pmac, Aug 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It's interesting to me as I really have no connections to them. I don't have any pets and am indifferent to them to the point that there are many things I don't understand. So I have plenty of questions but I'd prefer you just explain how you feel about animals in your own way. Rep for more detailed responses, especially those that attempt to answer the questions.

If you truly love animals, wouldn't you want them to all be free? (as in, not putting them on a leash and confining them to a defined space)
    How are your levels of love for animals separated. Do you care more about an animal depending on how smart they are? how much pain they feel?
    If you are vegan or vegetarian do you or would you eat animals that aren't necessarily proven to feel pain the way that we do? (insects, crustaceans, etc. )
    How do you deal with snakes, lizards, rodents, etc in your home?

I figured many of the questions in the meat eater vs plant eater thread were more moral based and it would be easier to just answer them in another thread.

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

They're cute and fuzzy.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think my love for animals came from my parents love for them.

I've always has a pet. A dog or cat, bird or turtle. I don't know a life where I didn't take care of an animal. My father loves his fish and my Mom grew up in a farm.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I can honestly say .. i am similar to you on the issue
    I have no pets nor desire any.
    I don't love them in that . . . we can share an ice cream cone way
    but
    I don't like the idea of being cruel to them unduly.

If you can prevent them from feeling pain . . .i say do it.
    If we can prevent them from living a *****ty existance . .then do it
    If it is a animal or a human . .. Almost always I will side with humans.

I think i recall a comedian making the statement once
    that some of these peta would step over a homeless guy to throw paint on someone wearing a fur coat.
    That to me . . is crazy

Rocket River

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

They taste great!

DD

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I love animals since i was little, I grew up with dogs. And have been fasinated with animals ever since (it made me study biology).

To answer your questions:

Not really, not being free is not the same as having a bad life. A dog that gets enough exercise and food, and social interaction will not have a bad life. The goal in every animal (and humans life) is to survive and reproduce. Our dog is able to do that, if she lifed in the wild she would be dead by now.

Also animals in a zoo are important for educating people about them , and making them care about animals (nobody cares for something they have never seen.

I care more about animals that I know (my dog). I also care more about animals who are more intelligent (I care less for insects and more for mammals, I care more for catfish than for snails).

I'm not a vegetarian. I do not mind eating meat or insects. I would never eat my dog.

I catch rodents, and release them elsewere, we have no snakes or lizards in the house (o would catch snake and release them elsewere, and I would leave Lizards alone, I love Gecko's). I also do not kill any insect in my house.

1 person likes this.
  7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Always have loved animals. But since I got my dog three years ago, its been life changing. Our little puppy is spoiled rotten and my wife and I treat him and love him as if he were our son. I can't imagine life without him anymore. Our whole life rotates around him.

I love the fact that he looks at us like his parents and taking care of him I'm sure in some ways pretty similar to an actual kid. Have to shower him, brush hit teeth, make sure he is eating healthy, getting excercise, taking him to the doctor, etc. etc.

Even since getting him, I realize how humans have to be more responsible towards animals.

1 person likes this.
  8. TheresTheDagger

[​IMG]
    The man in the coffin died in the crash of that helicopter in Afghanistan last week. His family brought his dog "Hawkeye" to the funeral. He laid there the whole time.

Picture says a thousand words.

Thats why I love animals.

2 people like this.
  9. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Wow, very powerful. Yes, thats why I love dogs.

10. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Who can say no to a...

[​IMG]

TEACUP PIG?!

On a serious note, pets/animals can be excellent companions. You love them, they love you, you take care of them, they put up with your talking to which both parties know they can't understand one another, etc.

11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Unconditional love and affection, unlike my girlfriend. *rimshot*

Actually it's just like humans. Some I love, some I hate, you grow an attachment to some, others you hope you never see again. So I love my dog, but I'll catch and move that lizard or spider to the front lawn.

And while I understand the freedom thing, you are providing a better life to pets in a pet shelter/humane society by adopting them.

2 people like this.
  12. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I've really never cared for dogs until we got a dog and now I can't imagine my life without him. He's much more than a dog. He is incredibly loyal to me and hubby and is our entertainment. He is so funny. Having a dog makes me to be more responsible and I've lost some weight because of walking/running him frequently (he is a high energy dog so needs exercise). If Bo had a chance to run away, he would not run away because he has a good life with us.

People who have dogs live longer and are less stressed.

BTW, that picture of the coffin and the dog made me to tear up. :(

1 person likes this.
  13. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I'm racist when it comes to dogs. I only like Labradors, and yellow labradors at that. Lol.

1 person likes this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

How could you hate these puppies along with their black owner:

[​IMG]

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've always had a dog. I grew up having a dog, one who was rather stupid, but much later, I was lucky enough to find a Labradoodle (no one knew there was such a thing as a Labradoodle at the time... I lucked out) at the SPCA, easily the most intelligent, loyal, and protective dog I've ever had. He could learn a trick, after seeing me show him what I wanted him to do, with just a couple of repetitions. He loved girls. He loved parties. He loved girls at parties, and he loved doing all his tricks for an audience. In short, he was a babe magnet, which I used to the fullest extent, I can assure you. I've had other great dogs since The Wonder Dog, but none who've come close to matching him.

Honestly, I feel sorry for those who don't "get" having intelligent pets like a dog, or even a cat. Perhaps they've simply never had one, but they are missing one hell of a lot. Things like unconditional love. Being ecstatic that you walked through the door. As was shown above with the image, loyalty. A willingness to literally die for you and those close to you, if that's what it takes, and a good dog knows who's important to you, and they become important to him. Countless other things too numerous to mention. I could reel off a ton of stories to illustrate what I'm trying to say, stories that happened in my own life with my dog, but I'll leave it at that.

1 person likes this.
  16. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

Second time I've seen this pic in two days. Linky for the backstory?

To the OP, I love dogs because they love me unconditionally. Can't buy that kind of love.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

my parents never wanted a pet, let alone inside the house. Yet a month after getting our dog they grew more attached then I did, to the point heit was like their own kid and they later testified saying you had to have a heart of stone to ignore something so loyal and loving.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

you sir deserve rep.

19. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

I love animals, especially dogs, but because I know I do not have the time or resources to care for one therefore I am currently pet-less. What's with people having a pet dog but only to cage it up for most of the day... I don't agree with that.

Confession, when I was younger, I didn't treat my cousin's dog very well, nothing overly abusive, but just drop the dog onto the bed from 3 feet high, the dog would cower and hide in the closet to avoid me... just reminiscing about it gives me grief.

I have made up my mind years ago that eventually I will adopt a dog and care for it with love and respect, though it won't right my wrongs, it'll offer me some peace.

1 person likes this.
  20. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

My parents never cared much for dogs. Maybe I'm wrong, but most Indians aren't too into dogs like Americans or Europeans.

Now they can't live without seeing our puppy a few times a week. They live about 25 miles from us, but will drive down anywhere to see our puppy, want to babysit him as much as possible and want him for the entire weekend. They let him sit on the dining table for dinner and lunch, he sleeps on their bed with them, share water with him from the same glass and all that good stuff.