1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets and Warriors run historic offenses in wildly different ways

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by watashi315, Jan 4, 2018.

1. watashi315

watashi315 Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...s-run-historic-offenses-wildly-different-ways

I didn't see this article posted but feel free to merge if it's there. Nothing earth shattering in this article ahead of tonight's showdown. However, a couple of stats in the article points to our Achilles' Heel I want to highlight. In half court offense, which is something we LOVE to run, the Rox don't pass the ball nearly enough. A lot of our half court offense revolves around Harden and Paul creating opportunities either for themselves or for a shooter/Capela. Although both teams shoot and make a historic amount of 3s, the ways we generate our offenses are different. This points to Warriors' "invincibility" - everyone can score, so if you take one out of their game, the others step up, and our weakness - if you take Harden/Paul out of their game, our offense bogs down dramatically. In the playoffs, if a team locks down on Harden and Paul, we will start to have trouble generating offense. We saw this in the Boston game, where defenders like Smart can get into Harden's head. In order for us to go deeper in the playoffs, we have to solve this problem. The numbers below are alarming. We're kind of like the inverse of the Warriors.

Half-Court Possessions With FGA (%)

0-1 passes: 58 (ROX) 36 (Warriors)
    2-4 passes: 38 (ROX) 53 (Warriors)
    5 or more passes: 4 (ROX) 11 (Warriors)

#1 watashi315, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    carib, D-rock, Louka and 2 others like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The solution is to have both Harden and Paul healthy.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly the article doesn’t telll is much.

Pen15clubber, DonKnock and MVP4THREE like this.
  4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Different systems have different ways of scoring points. The solution is not to pass more as that is simply not our system. The solution is simply for Harden and Paul to stay healthy. When both are healthy, there is not a single team that can stop our offense. Someone get in Harden's head, that's fine. He will still score 30+ and when his offense stalls out, CP3 will be there to pick up the ball.

Hopefully, MDA will expand our rotation with Green and we can pick up an extra big by the trade deadline.

Remlap and Ozzy like this.
  5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The template for defending the Rockets over the past month: big man defender stays at home, do not allow the pass to a rolling big man under ANY circumstance, grab a jersey if necessary. The defender who gets picked off chases around the pick, flailing arms in an attempt to draw offensive fouls when tasteful to do so. The defenders of corner threes hug the line and never come in. And then the defender of the opposing wing three reaches in on Harden, because if you slap wrist but the ball comes out a little bit too then that's A-OK! Just make sure you hit hard enough to make the ball move.

Harden then loses the ball, flails arms, doesn't get a call, users on Reddit rejoice, Harden is Literally Hitler, rinse repeat.

6. rocketseagles07

The thing I hate is everyone says it's the, "way the warriors play" that makes them so great. Yea that's true, but it's also the personel. We could pass the ball a hundred times it doesn't mean our offense is going to run like there's. We're playing to our strengths but it's needs to be less my turn your turn with harden/Paul. That's going to work against most team, but not the elite ones

7. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Wow.. the fact the Warriors can score so many points while passing so many times each possession shows their ability to score efficiently. They are finding good makable shots.

The Rockets score off a pass. Our P&R offense usually leads that single pass shot to a good shot, but it's not as consistently good as the warriors who make a habit of finding a good shot. Rockets keep the pace fast.

Warriors playing fast, but not as fast as the Rockets-- they are finding better looks.

Their offense is ran better. I love my Rockets, but ours is the 2nd best in the league.. warriors doing it right.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm wondering if a swap for Serge Ibaka would work with Toronto for Ryno. He has done some crazy stuff this season to show he's possibly been disgruntled up there, even to the point where he's been suspended.

Even if we need to add a 2nd rounder I'd make a deal for that. His rim protection would be prime if we stagger him and Capela the way we planned for Harden and Paul if they're both in the starting 5.

Sorry not trying to turn this into a random trade thread... just a thought.

9. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Passing more times in no way relates to how efficiently the ball goes into the hoop, nor how open shooters are when the shot is taken.

In fact, the warriors actually get fewer open shots then the rockets, so if anything, we could assume the exact opposite (which we shouldn't).

The warriors are actually better at making less open shots. The stats bear this out, and really, the only conclusion we can reach is that the warriors have better personal.

If Steve Kerr and Dantoni were to switch teams, whos offense would improve? If the difference wasn't negligible, it would almost certainly be the warriors.

DonKnock likes this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

With those extra passes the Warriors do have the 2nd most turnovers in the NBA.

DonKnock and Remlap like this.
  11. watashi315

watashi315 Member

While passing more times don't always equate to higher efficiency on offense, it does do two things. One, it keeps the defense honest. Let's be real here, Harden and Paul are two ball dominant players. They like to have the ball in their hands and initiate the offense through them. Defenders can use this to their advantage by trapping them up top or play hard defense by switching various defenders on them once they inbound the ball. This was the strategy used again the greats back in the 90s and 2000s on players like Jordan and Kobe. It didn't stop them but the hope is to slow them down. Two, passing the ball gets the other players involved on offense. When you stand around waiting for the ball to come to you, you get cold offensively and tend to "ball watch". Players need to constantly move around making cuts and setting screens in order to prevent stagnation on offense. Whenever Harden starts playing hero-ball, our shooters just stand there doing nothing. This will kill us in the playoffs.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

It's the key to have ANY hope of getting out of the West.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Cupcakes are passing more around. If they had Capela, it's already GO, good thing they have old Pachulia.

14. Nivos

Nivos Member

Nice article, but I don't agree with your conclusions.
    There is no real correlation between the amount of passes to winning, or even to get better EFG%.
    Actually if you look into it you'll see that out of the top 10 teams in EFG% this year, most of them not only passing less than leauge average, but even Assist less than leauge average.
    There is no indication that iso and Picknroll are less effective tools to win a game.
    In the end, its all about talent.
    GS have plenty of it. Rockets a little bit less, but more than the rest of the league when you have Paul and Harden running the show.
    Like you said that stopping Iso and PicknRoll is easy(ier) in the Playoffs, same can be said about transition offense which is 20% of GS offense.
    Both teams are amazing offensive teams, but the Rockets needs everyone of the 8 man rotation to beat the best teams. GS can get away with injuries and that will be the key factor in the Playoffs.

DonKnock likes this.
  15. OTMax

OTMax Member

The lack of scoring on off-ball screens is concerning. This confirms the eye test: one guy goes to work, others pretty much stand still. Ryno, Gordon and even Harden if he would work of the ball are deadly from what I’ve seen even if very little.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I would definitely love to see that and it would allow us to play Capela and Ibaka together. That said, such a trade would kill any ability of ours to get someone like LBJ unless CP3 and LBJ sign on for huge discounts.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

One is a system that is more sustainable against elite defenses or when your superstars are tired or injured the other abuses their strengths like a kid playing 2k and it falls apart when an elite defense figures it out.

The biggest disappointing for me for me in regards to D'Antoni is his utter lack of creativity in half court offensive sets. I see nothing different from Mchale. Everyone is mostly stationary besides the primary ball handler. Surprising for someone who is considered an offensive genius.

I trust Steve Kerr way more than Dantoni. He seems to be far more confident in not relying on on gimmicks.

#17 fchowd0311, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  18. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Bottom line, warriors have more players capable of creating for themselves or others than we do. THAT is a huge thing for a team to have. Curry, KD, Klay, Draymond, Iggy, Livingston, even Casspi. They can all put it on the floor comfortably and attack and or pass when the defense helps. We only have 3 players that can do that for us. (Green is a new half right now)

I have always said we need a PF or F that can do it, in order for us to be real contenders. I know Ryno stretches the floor with his shooting but if he could be a threat to fake that and attack we would be even better. Same with Ariza, but both of those guys can only dribble twice before they have to pick it up and pass it back out to CP or Harden....

19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Kerr has 4 all star players who are very good at the game. He doesn't have to do too much for them. We don't have that luxury. Kerr just has to keep those guys focused and motivated a little bit. They run themselves out there.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You see Warrior offensive sets brah? They don't run on sheer talent alone. Their guys constantly run off the ball with elaborate successions of screens and curls.

Mathloom likes this.