1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Environmental tragedy] 2nd train derails in 2 days, spilling oil

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Nov 9, 2015.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Trains are a vastly inferior way to carry crude oil and natural gas liquids vs. pipelines. However, trains are increasingly transporting oil as pipelines are not built. The negative environmental impact of trains carrying more and more oil doesn't get much run in the news.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/second-train-derails-in-wisconsin-spills-oil-1447023575

Associated Press
    Updated Nov. 8, 2015 11:19 p.m. ET

WATERTOWN, Wis.—Canadian Pacific Railway said less than 1,000 gallons of crude oil spilled after a train derailment Sunday that prompted evacuations in southeastern Wisconsin.

Thirteen cars derailed, and 35 homes near the site were evacuated. Canadian Pacific said in a statement that one car was punctured and it leaked some oil. The company was working to determine the exact amount but estimated the spill was no more than 1,000 gallons of oil.

Canadian Pacific said the leaking car has been sealed, the spilled oil was contained and siphoned off, and no oil reached a waterway.

Trains are used to transport nearly 100,000 barrels of crude oil a day in the U.S., according to the Energy Information Administration.

The derailment Sunday was the second in the state in as many days. On Saturday, a freight train derailed near Alma in western Wisconsin, spilling thousands of gallons of ethanol.

BNSF Railway said railroad crews stopped the leaks from five tanker cars and placed containment booms along the shoreline of the Mississippi River. One tanker released an estimated 18,000 gallons of ethanol, and the other four released an estimated five to 500 gallons each.

BNSF said crews continued Sunday to transfer ethanol from the derailed cars and to get the cars back on the tracks.

No one was hurt. The company said it expects the tracks to return to service Monday morning.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Rejecting Keystone is a train wreck, literally and figutativy

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Doesn't sound like this was oil that would have been on Keystone anyway. Are there other rejected pipeline projects I'm not aware of?

4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You're right, it's way past time to transition away from fossil fuels.

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

There is something like 100k barrels of Bakken oil reserves for the Keystone XL. Tar is too viscous to flow in a pipeline, so it must be cut with a lighter oil - in this case Bakken. The K-XL would definitely take a lot of that oil off train tracks but I'm sure there are some politically relevant points won by stopping the pipeline.

For one, it boosts the investment into U.S. oil in politically relevant states like Ohio. Also, it may or may not give benefits to railroad companies who transport the oil and are competing with pipelines. And it also may be shifting the focus of refining operations to the east coast US but I really don't haven much to back that up.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Oil's on the way out.

7. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

This bit is spot on. Per an offline article rail shipments of oil in the US have increased from 9500 cars in 2008 to 493000 in 2014. And rail usually goes along side riverbeds.

Doesn't mean Keystone was a 'good' pipeline, and I'm hopeful this means much more stringent environmental and safety guidelines -- but oil is moving, demand continues and pipelines are the safest means to transport it.

8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a another example of why we need to move away from fossil fuels.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i hope i live to see when the world is at a point that it uses most of its energy from the sun and wind.

10. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

SMH. While other countries are working on 2nd and 3rd generations of high speed passenger trains that are nearly completely green and simultaneously slowly replacing airplanes as the primary method for long distance transportation, we're still using fossil fuel to transport fossil fuel. Thank you conservatives for literally trying to conserve 1950.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The conservatives don't want to use trains. They want to use pipelines.

As far as passenger trains they would be nice but what cities would you connect?

12. Buck Turgidson

I love certain peoples' very, very selective definition of an "environmental tragedy"

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Passenger trains only work in dense corridors. Like the Northeast US, Japan, and parts of Europe.

I've worked extensively in Europe and nobody would consider taking a train from say Paris to Moscow unless you're a broke hostel student traveler. I wouldn't say they're replacing air travel at all.

14. The Boz

The Boz Member

My thoughts exactly. I work for a full service environmental company in the Houston area. Although the official numbers on gallons spilled is always much less than accurate, those numbers do not equal an "environmental tragedy".