1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ellen Pages confronts Ted Cruz on Gay Rights

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by what, Aug 21, 2015.

1. what

what Member

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ellen-page-confronts-ted-cruz-gay-rights-iowa/story?id=33231236

Pages seems very unprepared for any kind of debate with Cruz, who was able to fiend her off by drawing a comparison between the latitude the government affords churches and the regulations that business owners must adhere to to conduct business such as the florist who withholds their services on religious grounds.

This is fundamentally an issue over church and state. If a church wants to "conduct" business, (see Hobby Lobby and this couple from Iowa), they are no longer operating under the protection of the guidelines of church/state. Period.

So no Ted Cruz, you're wrong.

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I just have to say this...Justin Beiber was not well equipped to engage herself in a discourse with Ted Cruz, a master-debater...

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ellen Page. Just one page.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

"Don't do that" sounded dangerously close to "twisting my words," the universal eject button for any flustered or confused debater. I'll always support entertainers voicing their political views as they've always been a clear thirty years ahead on social policies, but popular and passionate is no match for prepared and professional. We should probably mix in a few more Thurgood and Ramsey Clark biopics.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

What the hell was VICE thinking sending an untrained actress to debate someone like Ted Cruz; a politician, world champion debater, and world class appellate attorney.

Regardless of the merits of the issue, she had no chance.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that was kind of a mistake. I largely agree with her on the issue but she was out of her league trying to argue the case against Cruz. As much as I'm against a lot of things Ted Cruz says, he's not actually dumb. An actual dumb person doesn't get multiple ivy league degrees with honors.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ted Cruz has a brain, but he is still an idiot for believing what he does.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You can still be fired simply for being gay in 27 or so states. But please tell me more about this mythical "war against Christians".

I agree that she stood no chance against a trained orator like Cruz, but it still doesn't change the fact that she brought up a valid concern and Cruz did nothing but spin it with this "religious liberty" nonsense.

9. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

well that was embarrassing

10. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Disagree with Ted Cruz all you want, because I believe you have that right, but the guy knows what he is doing. I am glad to call him my Senator, and I hope to call him my President one day soon.

1 person likes this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i hope you win the lottery soon and cure all cancer also.

12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Not sure if serious?:confused:

I hope you're kidding.

That would be bad for all Americans, liberal and conservative.

Luckily, it's not happening. Ever.

13. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I enjoy both of you expressing your opinions! But really, I think he is the best candidate from both the Republicans and Democrats to lead our country. Have a good evening.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

"Because he ain't afraid of saying what needs to be said like most illegal immigrants being rapists". That is how we save America, by having no wit and telling all foreign leaders they are 'losers'.

I said this before and I'll say it again. This country is two election cycles away from President Camacho.
    [​IMG]

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Yes, Ted Cruz has a brain, and THAT is why he believes as he does, certainly not as you and Ellen Page do in this and practically everything else.

Cruz is a little too far to the right for me, but my cousin, an Arkansas JP and GOP county chairman, talked privately with Cruz a few weeks ago and was enormously impressed with his charm and knowledge of the issues.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I honestly believe that Ted Cruz's pandering towards the evangelical demo is an act. I don't think he is that religious at all.

Hillary did the same thing when someone asked her what her favorite book is and she responded with "the Bible". Seriously?!?

17. Commodore

his father is a well-known pastor fwiw

18. Commodore

article about Cruz's reputation as a college debater

http://www.nationaljournal.com/2016...the-michael-jordan-of-college-debate-20150806

19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Rafael Edwardo Cruz is an anchor baby.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Well, tell your boy to start using his brain. At least on this matter.

I'm not saying Cruz isn't a smart man. Obviously, he is. But the fact remains that Page brought up a valid concern (valid as in real, tangible - something that actually affects people) and Cruz's response with this "religious liberty" crap was a total copout.