1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

'Electronic Dance Music' in America - what's the fuss about?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmc89, May 6, 2014.

1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I still consider myself young, however, some friends say otherwise because I am not infatuated with EDM as they are. I don't get it. I remember music that sounded like EDM being popular in Europe for the last 20 years, but not America. The people that used to listen to styles like drum and bass, techno, trance, and house were always on the fringe. It's everywhere now. Yes, some songs are catchy and creative, but the genre and its rave culture seems foreign to me.

For most people, high school and undergrad are the periods where music tastes evolve quickly. After that, other than music lovers, few explore new artists and genres other than the Billboard Top 40. Back then, my friends and colleagues of my age largely listened to RHCP, Foo Fighters, White Stripes, Maroon 5, and Nickelback along with hip hop like Eminem. Now, married men and women all listen to EDM and attend very expensive concerts. What am I missing out on?

2. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

You need to do more ecstacy. It will all make more sense.

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

EDM sux. IDM is legit tho.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Worst is when people say they are big into EDM and then mention that Skrillex is their favorite artist. It's not even dubstep, but rather bro step. The lowest form of the whole genre. Bro step is the bastardized Americanized version of dubstep while has been big in the UK for over a decade. College frat kids here in the USA lap this stuff up like it is something revolutionary.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lulz bro step. If you can picture some jersey shore roid rager fist pumping like a moron to it, then it probably sucks.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I've been getting into electronic/instrumental music a lot more lately. Some cools songs I have recently discovered that some people may already know about:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_kAztGa_Ew0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oFLItoOlY54?list=PLBdlRUjKO5msCvorNyyZ85YA6vDKSC8dt" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ew0AlzwyukI?list=PLBdlRUjKO5msCvorNyyZ85YA6vDKSC8dt" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. conquistador#11

I aint even going to lie, this is on my get "psych mix"
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YqArV6B173E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    He who is free of guilty pleasures may cast the first glow stick.

8. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Damn was I passed when armin came to Houston and I didn't go:mad:

9. Buck Turgidson

"Come ye lords and princelings of douchedom, hear my clarion call. Anointeth thyself with gel and heavenly body spray. Maketh the sign of the devil horns with thine hands. Let there be high fiving and the hugging of many bros, for this is the kingdom and the power." -- Anthony Bourdain, on the EDM scene

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah I definitely think drugs were involved.

it was popular here too.

Look at the thread about Numbers that folks are posting in right in this same forum:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=152250

Anyway I know it as techno but I guess I am old.

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Trance was my first love.. but into House these days as well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Vsy1URDYK88" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Good song.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zgdRxARv080" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Raver girls switching from outfits consisting of baggy JNCOs and puffy vests to bras and panties.

In all seriousness, the scene has changed a lot the production values of DJ sets are 100X higher. I've been listening to EDM since the early 90s and didn't go to my first EDM event until last year (Swedish House Mafia's One Last Tour) and it was freaking amazing. DJ events are no longer a bunch of people crammed into a dirty basement glow sticking in a circle of friends (which is what is was like when I was in college).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AwqCTZvgU3A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#12 Cokebabies, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  13. duwende

duwende Member

Been listening to house music since the 90s/00's. The genre has evolved, and I'm finally glad that EDM has finally hit America..especially Texas. You can hear all the EDM stuff on the coasts but Texas (like in other aspects of life) lags on what's hip by like 1-2 years. My personal favorites are Bob Sinclar and David Guetta in the mid 2000's.

Anyone remember this gem from the late 90's?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dCe6e23yIT8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. lean

lean Member

Pretty much this lol. Do some ex or LSD and listen to some EDM, you'll probably pretty much instantly understand and feel it. A good artist I would recommend is Haywyre, specifically his album "The Voyage." I'm at work otherwise I'd share a youtube link.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No thanks.

I don't want permanent brain damage.

16. SK34

SK34 Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't find it amusing. Its just "IN" right now. People are gonna move away from it by 3-4 years. People tend to do whats in style rather than what they want.

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think it's been popular for more than 4 years already.

18. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

I've been jamming house/euphoric-trance since the early 2000's.

only my best friends would be able to tell someone that I listen to that genre, because I only listen to things like that when I'm in the zone, by myself.

Just like anything else, it becomes annoying if you constantly put it in people's faces.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

EDM is an American invention.

basically a spin off of disco

(I'm a big fan, by the way)

20. SK34

SK34 Member

became extremely popular about a year or so ago tho..

You'd never see so many posts about EDM before this.