1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eat crow thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by whag00, Jan 4, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Because the Texans are so bad, in spite of their generational talent QB, they're basically even odds against a mediocre mistake a minute bills team

defying these these odds they won by 3. In ot. Time to eat crow!

If I had the same expectation set at work I might rumble in drunk at noon tomorrow after 2 weeks off. I still might, but still.

2. SamFisher

There's a literal chart that says "go for 2/kick XP" and you give credit to the coach for following it...why?

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why give him credit for going for two when every football coach in the universe would have gone for two in the exact same situation?

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sean Payton had a great day. So did Belichick. Carroll barely beat a 9-7 team without its QB. I’m sure none of that context matters though.

5. raining threes

Many HC's would've kicked the EP and gone into the 4th qtr hoping to score 10 pts to win the game.

6. raining threes

How do you define a generational type QB?

My definition is Brady, Montana, Elway, Staubach etc...

Watson may become like these guys but he's light years from them right now.

TheFreak likes this.
  7. bobrek

Doubtful. Considering the lateness of the game and the fact they hadn't come close to scoring, they couldn't expect two more scoring chances. Down by 10 at that point, two points made the most sense.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was merely correcting your understanding of Vegas odds.

philly was actually favored by 1 point vs Seattle when the lines opened. I didn’t check, but I’m sure enough people put money in Seattle to have them end up being the favorite.

also, the Bills were a solid 10 win team. As are the Texans. Both were always long shots for the SB (40-50 to 1). I never thought that matchup was one sided... oddsmakers were pretty spot on.

9. raining threes

I'm not disagreeing with you.

They still had a qtr left to play and I've seen plenty of HC's kick the EP in that situation. Look at Jason Garrett as an example.

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Those coaches have all had many great playoff days - and didn't need 6 years to get them.

Billy is still searching. He's still searching for a Top 10 offense too after 6 seasons.

SamFisher likes this.
  11. rugg31

rugg31 Member

Pete Carroll - 3-4 playoff record thru first 7 seasons, no conference championship games
    Sean Payton - did win SB in fourth season, 4-6 playoff record since, three straight 7-9 seasons during stretch since SB, one conference championship game in 9 seasons following SB win
    Bill Belichick - obviously in a league of his own in the history of the NFL, but only made the playoffs once in first six seasons as head coach with 1-1 record

This information isn't hard to find so saying these coaches didn't need six years is false, with Payton the exception but his 9 seasons since SB title not that impressive with a hall of fame QB.

I said it in another thread. Winning consistently in the NFL isn't easy. Winning consistently in the playoffs is even more difficult for almost every coach in NFL history. Andy Reid has a losing playoff record with one SB appearance in his first 20 years as a head coach, yet most people think he's light years ahead of BOB. Why?

houstonstime and TheFreak like this.
  12. SamFisher

I said they were +2.5 favorites.

I guess that's redundant, grammatical like, thanks for the correction.

Great team, great win, great BOB.

13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Pete Carroll has resided in likely the toughest division in the NFL his entire tenure. Props to him for reaching those playoffs. Well earned.

Payton, an offensive coach, managed a Top 10 yardage offense every season his first SIX seasons and was Top 10 in scoring 4x. His two previous seasons ended on a miracle last play and a completely botched PI by the refs (that led to rule change).

Bellichick, a defensive coach, spearheaded two Top 10 scoring defenses in his five seasons with Cleveland.

Andy Reid, an offensive coach, managed multiple Top 10 offenses his first 6 seasons in Philly, scoring AND yards.

O'Brien, an offensive coach, has had zero Top 10 offenses, scoring or yards. He has survived with his team's defense and a subpar division his entire tenure. Then, if he does reach the playoffs, he gets blown out of them every time.

What were you saying?

Gray_Jay and Frank Drebin like this.
  14. bobrek

When were the Cowboys down by 16 with less than 2 minutes left in the third quarter in a win or go home game when they had done absolutely nothing offensively for 40 minutes?

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Subpar? AFC has had 2 teams in the playoffs 3 straight years. 2 of those team have reached atleast the division round each time. 1 has reached the Conference finals.

You actually need to look up info before you spout it.

Bellicheat was fired in Cleveland.

Reid has been a CHRONIC underachiever with his teams.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When quoting the point spread, when you use +2.5, you're implying they are underdogs since they're the ones who get the points.

I see what you meant though... but in the future, -2.5 (or - whatever the point spread is) will indicate how much a team is favored by.

B@ffled likes this.
  17. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

The trademark of an O'brien team is to come out flat in the biggest games. The games the Texans have won have been in spite of O'brien. The team has had to overcome his shortcomings as a game manager. He's the other team's 12th man. Look at his play calling coming out in OT. Because there was no sense of urgency the offense was flat. It wasn't until #4 was put under a sense of urgency that the team was able to rise to the occasion. #4 plays big in big games. #4 wins in spite of BoB.

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

One of those South playoff teams made it after its opponent laid down the final game.

One CC participant is subpar due to numbers --- 6 ÷ 4 = 1.5

Belicheck led Top 10 defenses in Cleveland and Reid has executed his specialty basically every season since entering the league.

Again, Billy is still searching.

#98 Houstunna, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  19. bobrek

Regardless, from what I understand, you want O’Brien fired.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I wanted O'Brien fired yesterday. Today, I want him to atleast hire an OC.

raining threes likes this.