1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard receives bone marrow aspirate injection in his right knee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Jesus H .... all these big words regarding medical procedures has me shaking about another Yao situation.

Is it something in the water around here that all our top sports stars have to do down with injury?

2. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I'll remain optimistic until I know more! I think the most probable result is we get Dwight at 65% and hope that it's enough to get us all the way.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>In talking with a surgeon, bone marrow aspirate procedure is to speed healing process using own stem cells, rather than plasma as in PRP.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/563035972758421504">February 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>In Howard's case, cartilage has worn down. Has never had it cut away. PRP &quot;not as good&quot; as bone marrow, which is better for regenerative.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/563036593255374848">February 4, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Depends on extent, area of issue. MT <a href="https://twitter.com/Rocketsbia">@Rocketsbia</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen">@Jonathan_Feigen</a> procedure seems like a good long term, short term idea? Or experimental</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/563037366349479936">February 4, 2015</a></blockquote>

4. blackistan

blackistan Member

I try not to buy into it but I really believe that Houston sports are cursed

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I remain optimistic for next season.

He is done for this year. This news isn't surprising to me or a let down. I was expecting him to be done for the year awhile back.

Hopefully they don't try to rush him back from this procedure because it sounds like there is a chance this might work without having to do microfracture and that it might actually be more beneficial than microfracture. I'm certainly curious about it.

1 person likes this.
  6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

no he isn't, we just need him to be right for the playoffs

7. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

I think Dwight's problem is more like wearing than tearing, so it's NOT Yao situation, which was the latter.

If this procedure works for him, I hope the doctors allow him to get another one in the off-season so that his knee has plenty of time to regenerate cartilage.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Any resident doctor on this board? Care to opine?

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the link but that is a different procedure, but it was a good comparison because it was in a judo athlete. That was actually a surgical procedure where they took the stem cells from the hip and grew them in a lab for a month and then added them to a collagen gel. When they did the surgery they put the gel on the hurt part of the knee and then covered it with a little "flap". The result looks like it was very good, but it took a year to fully recover.

That's the simple translation for anyone who didn't want to read that.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The doctor friends I have seem to be a little mixed about it. Some are saying that it could very well mean the Rockets window just shrunk to about 2 years. Others are saying that if they caught it quickly enough, there's a very good chance we could see Dwight come back strong. I guess we're in wait-and-see mode. I will say the comparisons to Amar'e are incredibly premature and completely unfounded with what we know so far. I'm not saying that might not eventually be the case, but based on what's happening RIGHT NOW, it doesn't seem like an apt comparison at all.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

There is a chance maybe they can push him to be ready for the playoffs, but we are hearing about a procedure that needs multiple injections and takes 2 to 12 months to see results. I'm also going to just guess he can't put too much weight on that knee while they are doing this procedure as well.

To me there is no reason why they should push him. It would be short sighted and probably ruin any chance of a full recovery for Dwight.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Well Dwight's contract has more 2 years after this year so I'd be happy with that. ;)

13. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Hmm, now that flexibility strategy Morey was talking about makes full sense.
    :eek:

14. Remix

Remix Member

And so continues the Rockets luck of injured players.

Looks like all we're going to get out of Dwight is one somewhat healthy full year. :(

15. hotdamn

hotdamn Member

Wishing for some Asik then that 1st rounder

16. RCPM

RCPM Member

Seems like everybody on this board is a doctor. :eek:

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Why didn't Dwight have procedures like this in the offseason? his knees could not have degenerated all in a few months of the season. Rockets doctors are slipping again. Never identify issues early.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nah, but the Holiday Inn Express was absolutely packed last night.

19. varughese.arun

Yes, yes... I see. Thank you.

Oh dear God.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

What's left but to be hopeful that he could be ready to go by playoff time? Get well soon, big guy.

Of course, I bought his jersey this past summer. :eek: