1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Russ look like a “square peg in a round hole” to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Nov 19, 2019.

?

Does Westbrook fit?

1. Yes

131 vote(s)
    78.0%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

Our potential is through the roof.

There is no question that James Harden is a better player playing with Russell Westbrook and we have an advantage against most teams in the 4th quarter.

Since harden doesn't have to bring the ball up the court against double teams all game and can take plays off watching russ run the break, he has more energy to expend on defense and is fresher in the fourth quarter when other teams are worn out.

Having said that, in a seven game series against a contender, we are going to win or lose based on Capela's missed layups and hook shots, and Russ' missed jumpshots. As the season goes on, I hope that Russ learns not to dump the ball off to Clint unless he draws both defenders when driving to the basket. If the dunk is not there, I hope that Russ can kick it out to the perimeter.....

We are watching a work in progress.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

He hasn’t changed his shot selection.

Of the 43 players taking 15 shots per game he’s 39th in efficiency

His assists per 100 are down significantly

And yet I still see why he is helping us. His help is vastly overpaid, but it is what it is.

Relativist, DaDakota and harold bingo like this.
  3. Handles

Handles Member

Just gotta hope Harden can get the ball to Russ without a turnover. Russ is a threat to drive hard in that situation unlike current, slow CP3. Russ can finish at the rim, kick out for 3, or alley to Capela.

heypartner and D-rock like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure it was overpaying him or overpaying CPaul......and he scores a ton more than Chris.

Resting him on back2backs is a tad too much to my liking.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think we will be great in the regular season and fall apart in the playoffs....because of his poor shooting, and teams focusing on Harden.

Westbrook is a very poor shooter, he hustles and pushes the pace, but that dies in the playoffs......

I pray, I am wrong - I just think you need to be efficient in the playoffs - and Westbrook isn't.

DD

saleem likes this.
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think CP3 before his decline last year was the better fit. He was a better defender and shooter and I liked the way he ran the second unit while Harden rested. But Russ brings strengths of his own that CP3 did not. We played at a slow pace with CP3 on the floor when we really should have played faster and taken advantage of opportunities in transition. We were 26th in pace last season, we're 2nd now. We also had issues with defensive rebounding. While that is not CP3's fault we benefit with Russ in that regard.

Ideally with Russ we can get the best of both worlds. Easy offense in transition when it is available, with Harden doing his best work in iso in the halfcourt when we can't. At the very least Russ takes playmaking pressure of Harden. The only major issue is whether Russ can space the floor for Harden. If Russ can hit 33-35% of his threes in the playoffs we can do some serious damage.

joshuaao, D-rock, Vivi and 2 others like this.
  7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Then you need to find another joy in your life because Russ and Harden are going to be playing together for the next 2-3 years. I don't see Russ getting traded even if they don't make it to the WCF.

D-rock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  8. Remlap

Remlap Member

Russ is Ying to James' Yang.
    They knew before the season started that they could compliment each other and make it work.
    Russ provides pace and speed and transition where James is the halfcourt master.
    [Clyde voice]: "I LIKE IT"

[​IMG]

Hakeemtheking, D-rock and Plowman like this.
  9. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

My Question is did we get the 100,000 miles version of Westbrook?

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

James Harden is a great fit when he plays defense.
    He’s a terrible fit when he doesn’t.

Clint is a great fit when he finishes around the basket.
    He’s a terrible fit when he doesn’t.

PJ Tucker is a great fit when he makes his corner threes. Etc...

That John Madden analysis. :p

(Of course YOLO likes your post, haha...)

Hakeemtheking and jiggyfly like this.
  11. gotsis

gotsis Member

Right now, he is exactly who we thought he would be.

He was (by eye test) being more selective with shots at the start of the season, now he has regressed to taking some contested mid range shots. The thing is, if he can hit 3s at a little bit better clip and continue being aggressive as he was last night, the positives will outweigh the negatives.

12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Westbrook has had some of the greatest playoff runs of all time by any metric, so there is precedence. His playoff +- is through the roof...

When he is on the court, his team is winning. (Even last year this was the case, which was by far his worst playoffs)

D-rock likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah because its true. Im glad you noticed

RudyTBag likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I would love to see him get back to playing how he did in the first 7-8 games in terms of shot selection.

Regardless, Westbrook (like Draymond) making shots is just a bonus. It is everything else that he brings that is exactly what we have yearned for.

11-3... You “wait for the playoffs” clowns sound like Max Kellerman.

15. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Poll should read-
    So does Westbrick need more help?
    Y/N

16. cml750

cml750 Member

The question becomes can they double Harden and still clog the lane? It seems Russ will have a field day driving to the hoop if they always have a help defender on Harden. That is not to mention Harden routinely sees double teams during the regular season that barely slow him down.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agreed, Russ brings rebounding and athleticism, both things we really needed to upgrade.

Like others said, what i don't like are those mid range bricks, but if he can keep those attempts low, all things considered i think we're good.

Relativist and D-rock like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets fitting in Westbrook like...
    [​IMG]
    :D

Zboy, cml750, Heartdoc and 2 others like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

First of all, double teaming Harden is not as effective as you believe.

But double or triple teaming Harden is suicide with another MVP on team.

Westbrook will be clear for take off down an unobstructed runway to the rim. I will take it, just like vs. Blazers.

Your hot takes suck.

Erbnwarfare, BamBam and Hakeemtheking like this.
  20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Westbrook net rating in the playoffs

18/19 : NEGATIVE 9.7
    17/18 : NEGATIVE 7.4

Last two years have been terrible in the playoffs. When he’s on the court his team has been losing big time.

DaDakota likes this.