1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Russ look like a “square peg in a round hole” to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Nov 19, 2019.

?

Does Westbrook fit?

1. Yes

131 vote(s)
    78.0%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Yeah I don't mind him shooting the occasional 3. It keeps the defense honest, and helps him get in rhythm and set up his drives. Even a 27% 3-point shot is like a 0.400 mid range jumper which is not bad at all. I don't even hate the occasional open 10-12 footer if he can get a nice fade away in the paint. But those pullup 15-20 footers, a lot of which are contested, are tilting AF and really hurting his and Rockets efficiency on offense.

Relativist likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Westbrook’s dramatic impact on our pace and his desperately needed rebounding are winning me over. It’s still early days, but so far, the record speaks for itself. Yes, James has played even better than last season, which is hard to believe, but Russ seems to have taken some of the attention, the load off of him, and I like what I’m seeing when he’s with the second unit and Harden’s getting a blow.

DD makes a good point, though (he does every once in a while). Assuming the team can hold itself together and is relatively healthy for the playoffs (fingers crossed!), will Westbrook’s shooting have improved enough that he can’t be ignored? Will the impact he’s having now, still learning to fit in with a new team that’s learning to fit in with him and other changes in personnel, translate to the playoffs? It’s a good question, one we’ll have to wait months to get the answer for. In the early going, I have to say that I’m very encouraged.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

And yes I agree with others that now we at least have another option, who is entirely different than Harden, when things aren't going well. When Harden ISO dance moves weren't working, and/or our guys weren't knocking down the 3 point shots, the confidence drops. But Westbrook can single handedly change the momentum of the game with his one man fast breaks.

And his defensive rebounding really helps. I got so frustrated watching teams get 2nd chance points game after game as we had a bunch of short, relatively unathletic guys getting pwned on the glass. Russ plays like a SF or PF equivalent rebounding wise which is great for our defense.

Relativist, joshuaao, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  4. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Golden peg in a big hole. Russ is exactly what the Rockets needed.

Notice all the 'we really miss CP3' threads? No, you don't. What about all the 'This Westbrook thing is the disaster we all thought it would be'? Nope, none of those either. Even though its still early in the season, before anyone should have expected them to figure it out yet.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

at least Westbrook will be on the court unlike Paul

juanm34 and harold bingo like this.
  6. Vivid

Vivid Member

I think the polling data might be unreliable ;)
    You polled "does Russ fit" but asked in the title:
    Does Russ look like a “square peg in a round hole” to you?

7. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

:eek::eek::eek:

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This is a very smart post. Russ
    Westbrook is really good at creating easy shots for others. They can't double team Harden all the time, and in the moments their defense is really pressuring him hard, Westbrook either will fly to the basket or someone will be wide open for a 3 or a cut to the basket.

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Pet peeve: when the question in the title of the post is worded so that it has the opposite answer the question in the poll.

RudyTBag likes this.
  10. ch44

ch44 Member

It's not a perfect fit, and sometimes he goes off script and plays his way, but you have to love what he brings to the table.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

when defenses lock into the rockets in may/june, the fear of harden being "worn out" and the "others" will once again be a topic. westbrook will never be a good shooter. no matter what anyone says, despite being in this system. that's why he was never the ideal fit. he's going to get open shots but when the time comes, all anyone can ask is if he can hit them at the key moments.

westbrook tried to get toyota center fired up last night. the crowd basically said nah we're good lol.

apollo33 and harold bingo like this.
  12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They're still trying to push that narrative.

It was obviously a great move.

We're just getting started.

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This. When he gets the ball and has just a sliver of space to operate, Russ takes it to the hole and gets buckets. We sorely needed/need that to be a change of pace on this team, especially when Harden sits. Westbrook, as seen last night, can make passes if need be as well.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

To me there's only one issue with Westbrook, whether he can hit an open jumper. That's really it. In the playoffs, if he can shoot, then we can beat anyone. If he can't then he will be gameplaned to death. He is perfectly fine in everything else except that aspect of his game.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Historically, they got to the finals together, actually. (And it was James who choked, If we are being honest)

FrontRunner likes this.
  16. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

You are getting the OKC Westbrook.

He’s at .497 TS% with a stinky AST/TOV ratio.

Honestly the team is good and winning so it doesn’t matter right now to anyone but WB sucks. He no superstar, or even all-star. CP3 is clearly better. But again with winning who cares.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yuppp my bad y’all.

FrontRunner likes this.
  18. marky :)

marky :) Member

He may not be a perfect fit but he sure as hell tries to make himself fit.

FrontRunner likes this.
  19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

When he’s playing with energy and going to the basket he’s tremendous.

We’ve lacked that so much with the walk it up, pound the rock, pnr, stepback 3 and pray offense. Which would get ground to a halt in the playoffs and inevitably Harden would look tired and disinterested.

Russ gets you second chance points from rebounds and easy buckets in transition.

We desperately needed that the last several years so while he doesn’t fit the scheme he adds so much that MDA and Harden do not.

Relativist and FrontRunner like this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He’s a great fit when he’s attacking the basket.

He’s a terrible fit when he’s shooting jumpers.

Simple as that

slothy420, alethios, Zboy and 2 others like this.