1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anybody here know what exactly the problem with Dwight's knee is?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. bmd

bmd Member

We have heard that he will be sitting out half of the back-to-back games this year because of his knee.

But what is the problem with his knee?

I remember hearing it's an issue he will deal with for the rest of his career. I also remember hearing that the cartilage isn't worn down, so it's not "bone on bone".

So what exactly is this chronic issue with his knee?

1 person likes this.
  2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I think we are just trying to prevent Dwight from getting to that situation. Alot of big men have leg issues and the only way to prevent that is to be very weary of the minutes he is playing on the court. We need him fresh for the playoffs.

3. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

The choice may not actually be there, but hypothetically would you rather Dwight play 22-28 MPG in 80 games this season or miss the B2B situations and play 35 MPG?

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Dwert could be Orlando-beast again, but he took an arrow to the knee.

5. malakas

malakas Member

osteoarthritis of the knee. (I think)
    Its degenerative can cause bone spurs and even though it wasn't bone on bone yet doesn't mean that in Dwight's future the danger of resulting in that is not real.
    Noah also has it but it is likely much worse than Dwight's.

6. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

We need him at 100% when the playoffs come around. I have no issue with resting him on b2b nights. We have proven that we can win without him in the regular season but there is no way we can win in the playoffs with him.

7. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Well, I for one like to see more of Capela this season in the regular season.

If he develops, perhaps we could be better off letting Dwight go rather than signing a 4-5 year long term contract with him if he opts out. That would be pretty scary considering his current health issues. We could be wasting most of Harden's prime with Dwight unhealthy.

8. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Will DMO be right for the start of the season? I'm guessing he'll be playing the majority of minutes at the 5 when D12's sitting out?
    Surely they wouldn't give all those minutes to Capella.

9. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

It keeps being said about Dwight sitting out back to backs.

No where have I seen a link that provides any proof.

10. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I have been saying this, then in another thread I was told Mchale mentioned this on the season ticket holders recent address.

11. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

bone on bone

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Quote? Do they specifically say it's because of his knee?

My understanding is, that it's just a precaution and a way to be careful with him. After all, not resting him earlier is what made his knee worse last year.

13. bmd

bmd Member

14. malakas

malakas Member

I can't remember exactly nor will i go waste time searching for quotes (you are welcome to try it yourself) but I think also cyber said that he did a specific therapy- with good results and they feared bone on bone.

This means knee osteoarthritis.

15. bmd

bmd Member

Osteoarthritis means the cartilage has worn away. I specifically remember them saying the cartilage in Dwight's knee is fine.

So it can't be that.

16. malakas

malakas Member

No. It doesn't mean that the cartillage is worn out. It is degenerative. Your cartilage doesn't wear out from one day to the next.
    Especially when we are talking about a pro athlete with super doctors monitoring him and pay attention in the first signs of pain.

17. bmd

bmd Member

Right, but I thought the pain came from bone rubbing on bone.

Here is what his doctor said:

Okay, so it sounds like his knee problem was temporary.

So it doesn't sound like osteoarthritis, and so I do not know why he is still going to be sitting out back-to-back games.

18. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

Whether it was a temporary issue that was initially misdiagnosed or a real issue to keep an eye on, the general truth is that big men age quickly. If it's not his knees, it will be his feet, or his back, or any other random body part that breaks down from being pounded on more than what the human body can take. So if resting him throughout the season results in "Playoff Dwight", then I'm all for it. It also keeps his career going longer and lets us develop Capela more. Weird to say, but I'm actually optimistic about the possibility of Dwight missing time in the regular season

19. bmd

bmd Member

I was just curious as to what the reason is.

It just randomly hit me that I really don't know why he isn't going to play back-to-backs.

I don't know that we've ever really been given an answer.

20. malakas

malakas Member

Why? First the loss of cartilage is little like the MRI showed on Dwight. He likely was injected hyalouroid fluid to promote the cartilage grow.

Repetitive stress injuries leads to OA, that's why so much young ppl like Dwight sadly develop it. It is for the best to have as much rest as possible.

I'm not a doctor but I have some knowledge on the medical field.
    More importantly this is only a guess based on the symptoms that are known to us and based on the treatment we know he had. Only he and the team know.