1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Shai vs. Luka as the Mavericks try to even the series in OKC. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think McHale is going to make this offense Exclusively PnR?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Chuck Norris, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Mr Chuck Norris

Or are we going to continue Iso Harden, Force feed Dwight etc? At least Jeremy isn't relegated to spot up shooter this year. But I think WE just need to build our entire offense around the pick and roll, and make it our primary option. It just been working beautifully. We used it in the 4th last game w/Lin and Harden and it looked amazing.

2. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Mr. Norris...I loved you in that movie with Bruce and I also enjoyed Walker: Texas Ranger. How's your health BTW?

3. bmd

bmd Member

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Not sure if we can win a title running nothing but ISOs and pick n rolls. Would be cool if we could though

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Utah did pretty well with it although they never won it all.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if we are going to make a run in the playoffs, he will have to add some wrinkles into the offense. the PnR is the bread and butter. when that is shut down, the have the option of iso. this year we also have the option of posting dwight. that's 3 options that will deliver results, even if the defense knows what's coming.

however, in the playoffs, 3 options won't be enough to beat the same team 4 times. maybe its enough to beat the first round opponent by talent alone. beyond that we will need a level of unpredictability. sure the fast break kind of counts, but deep playoffs become a half court battle against a team that knows (and will take away) option 1 and 2.

i'd like to see some down screens to free up chandler/garcia/casspi. they don't only have to be spot up or pump fake and drive guys. a down screen can force some open catch and shoots for them, and if the defense over-commits to the close out on them it may open up the pick man under the basket.

i'd also like to see our perimeter guys backdoor cut once in a while. it should be available when we have a small lineup with 1 center and 4 shooters spread out. we could post chandler and james against smaller 3's and 2's. or even iso them at the corner of the free throw line like we used to do with tmac. they would be one dribble from the basket to either post or drive. when tmac did it, it put a LOT of pressure on the defense to react quickly and forced some double teams which opened shots for shooters.

that's like 3 or 4 options that would be great for our team and really diversify our offense. i know with a young team that's not used to playing together, they are doing the right thing by keeping it simple, but in order to go deep in the playoffs, the 3 most basic options in basketball (PnR, post, iso) is too simple to beat the nba's elite in a 7 game series.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

A cleverly disguised thread lamenting Dwight's post game... 3rd game of the season and everyone wants to abandon it. You guys are acting like he isn't getting to the rim... Dwight just missing the bunnies in the lane. Once Dwight figures out where the Double is coming from the TO's will diminish and he will rack up more assists like he did in the preseason. Once the guards figure out where Dwight likes the ball the post-ups will be more successful. Once the guards start looking for Dwight when he has position early in the paint some of you will realize just how effective he can be down there.

1 person likes this.
  8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That shot me back to Adleman's offense and how easy they got shots .... That offense was a joy to watch.

I didn't realize Howard was a good passer until watching him as a Rocket. He's made some nice plays for Asik and others out of both the high and low post ...

I just don't know how all those cuts and screens would fit into the current philosophy of three's and points in the paint. All that movement and clutter of picks & cuts would put the shooters out of position and make spacing .... difficult. Tho they would likely end up with a lot of open looks those shots probably wouldn't be 5 footers or three's.

To be honest I don't think they have run the pick & roll enough .... especially with Howard as the pick man.

9. NotChandlerParsons

No, but he should.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Good stuff. Repped.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Fast break, early offense, pick n roll, post/repost, iso. That's a lot of options. Rather be the best at 2-3 things than be average in 5-6.

12. CONAN 888

CONAN 888 Rookie

That's because a MAN named Michael Jordan always stood in their way.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

I forgot to add the corner set offense. Even though Adelman is no longer here, I still see the Rockets use it in combo with PnR.

14. conquistador#11

we can have several variations of it

set one pick & roll left harden
    set two Pick & roll right harden
    set three pick & roll right lin
    set four pick & roll left lin

Iso package(only used when we can't buy a basket or harden is on fire):
    Iso harden left (never at the end of the half though)
    Iso harden right
    Iso garcia from threeville (fire at will)

^ genius playbook of mine.

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

16. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Exactly. And Utah was decidedly underwhelming in talent with just a bunch of good role players, a bit like a more talented version of the Linsanity Knicks.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Are you telling me Karl Malone and Stockton were role players or did you mean "roll" players as in pick and roll?

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The P&R is the primary option of every NBA team. It is typically incorporated with side screens and even a well executed screen can sometimes be categorized as a type of P&R without the ball trying to create mismatches. The P&R can be run anywhere on the floor, and many times is not easily recognizable by fans because the break to the basket often occurs before the play is fully run to the "classical", easily recognized conclusion. Or a defensive tag may be missed which results in a pass to a wide open offensive player.

Generally a P&R is run at least once or more in every half court set that is not a post up or a simplified classic offensive play such as DDMO, R&R etc. In many half court offensive sets it is run in its many varieties 2, 3 or even more times.

#18 jtr, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Probably. He does not have the tactical know how or X's and O's to add in different sets. How I wish we still had Adelman.

20. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

I think we need to incorporate some sort of off the ball screen and cut to the basket by Parsons. He seems to be good at those, more effective off the ball than with the ball in his hands.