1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Derrick Mason cut; roster spot going to special teams

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Cat, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Precision340

Precision340 Member

that's one of my gripe about his return game.. he tries too hard to juke people and ends up going laterally... he should just go upfield as soon as he catches the ball and then try to make a move.

2. HPD

HPD Member

3. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

I guess coach is finally ready to give me a shot. See you on the field guys, wish me luck!

4. makman

makman Member

I hated the Derrick Mason trade from the start, I'm guessing it was a 7th rounder we gave up but other younger, more talented receivers could be had for a 5th or 6th such as Brandon Lloyd.

As far as the kick or punt returner, we've never had anyone even decent back there, Jacoby runs sideways after he waits a few seconds to let everyone get close to him. McMannis runs into his own man every time and looked like D. Manning was ok but can't risk him injuring himself. Trindon Holliday has had too many opportunities and is just too small. They need to let Keo, Brandon Harris, or someone with vision give it a try.

5. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

His returns seem to follow a flowchart.
    Catch ball-> Stand still -> Sidestep, did that work? -> If yes, then stand still and get the spin ready, if not run east/west and out of bounds for that sweet one yard gain.

Trindon is just as bad as a KR, I don't see why you guys want him. He's had one good return out of dozens of attempts. He's too small to be used anywhere else, not sure-handed, and he has no vision. All that speed does is get him crashing into the wedge faster. And damn is he fragile, he's just another IR waiting to happen.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It was worth a shot if he had anything left in the tank. Clearly, he doesn't. Either that, or he just doesn't give a s***. He has been with 2 contenders this season and neither of them wanted him. Those drops yesterday were a joke.

He's cut and it's time to move on...though I don't see why they're giving Holliday yet another chance. There has to be a better kr option somewhere.

7. makman

makman Member

I def understand why, he's a vet, been productive, hoped he taught young guys well, but the issue was he wasn't going to be around past this year, but oh well were division champs who cares about him now.

I hear ya on the Kr thing, anybody can be better than what we've had.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I hope it doesn't go to Holliday. Time to give up on that failed experiment once and for all. He brings NOTHING to the table.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You guys are being waaaaaaaaay too hard on Jacoby and/or your expectations are wildly out of whack. He leads the league with four 40+ yard returns; he hasn't fumbled; he's scored a TD; and he's 10th (among regular punt returners) with a 10.7 average. I don't think there's a thing you can legitimately complain about unless you start splitting hairs and extrapolating a poor return here or there, which they all have.

As for KORs, I suspect Manning will be back there once the playoffs start.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. SacTown

SacTown Member

Once again. We should have gone after Brandon Lloyd when we had the chance.

12. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I thought Jeff Maehl was black? I thought I saw him in the papers and in the preson and I thought I saw a black guy lol.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The money thing held it back, but YEAH. Yeah back then Texans were sitting pretty with a HEALTHY Schaub and Andre. NOW look.

Kinda apples to oranges but in Dallas, Laurent Robinson emerged and is making it a big time WR trio with Dez Bryant and Miles Austin, especially after Austin went out. Think they care if Robinson is "obstructing" touches away from other players?

Whats the difference if Dorin Dickerson or Jeff Maehl EMERGES into that kind of player, and just acquiring that kind of player?

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It's extremely aggravating to see his brain farts especially on those coffin punts. Fair catching over his shoulder in traffic, fair catching instead of letting it go inside the 10.

You can use the stats to defend him, but it's undeniable watching the game that he tries to look for the home run return way too much. He goes east/west first, starts off his return by standing still way too long. He leaves 5-6 yards on the field just about every return. Field position has slowly become a problem again this year, and even Kubiak brought it up in a conference/interview I think. And he loves defending his kids with stat factoids.

Hope you're right regarding D.Manning and kickoffs. We all know how he puts special teams in the back seat as far as giving starters double duty.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I haven't seen too may issues this year. But keep in mind - I believe (thanks to our defense) that he leads the league in punt returns. So you're talking about a top 5 guy in average and attempts - he's doing it right far more often than wrong.

I can't fathom why that's a bad thing.

Again, while he might do it here and there, generally-speaking, he's been very effective. That's exactly why you break out the stats - to eliminate anectdotal analysis and/or small sample sizes and provide a much bigger picture perspective. Leaving 5-6 yards on the field on every punt would put him in the Devin Hester category of punt returners, meaning, again, you're setting way too high a standard. In fact, Hester only averages 13.1 YPR for his career - so a 15-16 YPR average is pretty robust and not wholly realistic.

I heard the press conference and his radio show and it was specifically focused on kick returns. Jacoby and punt returns were never mentioned.

The Texans average starting field position this year is their own 31-yard line, second-best in the NFL.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

17. Sman2k10

Sman2k10 Member

I am sorry but how many of yall have returned punts or kickoffs here? I am going to go ahead and assume Jacoby has more experience than all of us combined. He is a pretty good returner and specials has improved from last yr.

18. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Do not know if this has been answered, but do we keep our 7th rounder?

I know there was some stipulation that if he caught 30 passes or less we could keep our 7th rounder?

19. liljojo

liljojo Member

I'd be pretty surprised if he caught more than 30 passes.

20. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Would have made a great story if he could have retired at the end of Houston Super Bowl win but yeah, he wasn't producing and we don't have the WR talent to have a really under performing spot.