1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dedicated Thread: 2008 Texas Longhorns

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

First of all I know this Houston sports only but the freaking Longhorns are NO 1 in the BCS and have a shot at their 2nd national title in 4 years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

We will GET RED but now its time to GET BURNT ORANGE

Season Analysis: So far the Longhorns have done an excellent job on both sides of the field but Colt McCoy's emergence as serious heisman level QB has really propelled the Horns to the national spotlight. He has some amazing numbers this season 160-197, 82% completion rate, 8.9 yds avg, passer rating of 190.8, numbers you don't typically see at UT. However the most important development is that McCoy is now capable of delivering on the game's biggest stage in rivalry games against OU and BIG 12 foes like Mizzou. I remember 2 years ago Colt had a sensational debut in first half of the season putting up similar numbers but then he got injured in the game against Kansas State and was never the same. We all know Texas always has great defense which keeps them in contention for 10 wins every season an then always fall short in big games but not this year. Longhorns are taking care business and bringing their A game when it matters the most.

Schedule Strength: Absolutely Brutal

Quality Wins: againt then #1 OU and last week #11 Mizzou.
    Upcomming ranked games: 10/25 #6 Oklahoma State and 11/1 #8 Texas Tech

Outlook: This 4 week stretch against ranked teams will define the Texas season. If they can keep their poise and come out unscathed to reach and secure the conference title then they're are a lock in the national title game and would be playing the role of favorite. Still a long season to go but Texas is now in the driver seat.

HOOK EM HORNS!!!
    http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/

2. msn

msn Member

Colt just wins. :D :D

(* ducking rotten apples *)

3. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

wrong forum. This is board is for Houston sports ONLY!

4. DPballer

DPballer Member

:cool: FIVE STAR THREAD. :cool:

Great idea. I'll do my part to keep this alive.

The line for the Oklahoma State I believe is Texas -10.5. My instinct says EASY MONEY! But Texas vs Oklahoma State games have been complete adventures of late. My heart says to avoid this game.

But I honestly believe this year will be an easy one for UT because of the Will Muschamp factor. Like Mizzou, I don't see them stopping Colt and our offense.

My early bird prediction (subject to change):

Texas 45
    OK State 24

[​IMG]

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yeah, I too would stay AWAY from that bet. Okie State has played us tough the last few years. Very glad this game is in Austin.

6. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

UT- 56
    OSU- 17

or

OSU- 27
    UT- 24

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Um, yeah. I'm a Horns fan and all, too, but this thread is definitely in the wrong forum.

8. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I agree.

But I'm glad OSU is ranked high, I think that alone will get the Horns attention.

9. A.J.

A.J. Member

Is there anything wrong with a Cougars fan cheering for the Longhorns?

10. DPballer

DPballer Member

As long as that Cougers fan doesn't happen to be a Cubs fan.

11. DPballer

DPballer Member

Reigning winner Tebow picks McCoy as Heisman front-runner

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3654525

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida quarterback Tim Tebow has picked a front-runner for the Heisman Trophy, and it's not last year's winner.

Tebow, who could become the first player since Ohio State's Archie Griffin in 1975 to win consecutive Heismans, said Monday that Texas quarterback Colt McCoy is his top choice right now.

"Being smart and just looking at guys who are having a good year, he obviously is someone to look at and would probably be my top guy I'd vote for right now," Tebow said. "He's playing extremely well and doing a great job leading his team and handles it with a lot of class, too."

As a previous winner, Tebow has a Heisman vote, and he used No. 5 Florida's off week to catch up on some of the hopefuls for college football's most prestigious award.

McCoy stood out.

The fellow junior completed 29-of-32 passes for 337 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran for two scores in the Longhorns' 56-31 victory against Missouri on Saturday. Texas beat Oklahoma 45-35 a week earlier and took over the top spot in The Associated Press poll.

Through seven games, McCoy has completed 81 percent of his passes for 1,894 yards and 19 touchdowns. He has just three interceptions and leads the team with 371 yards rushing and six scores.

Throw in McCoy's strong religious beliefs and it's no wonder Tebow, the son of a missionary who makes frequent mission trips to the Philippines, would be a fan.

"I think he's done a great job just handling everything," Tebow said. "His interviews after the game I watched, too. Just getting to know him a little bit, I was very proud because I think he represents college football really well and handled his faith extremely well, too. He is never ashamed of that, which I respect as well, so I think he is doing a great job with everything that he is going through."

Tebow threw 32 touchdown passes last season, ran for 23 scores -- he was the first player in NCAA history to have at least 20 touchdowns passing and rushing in the same season -- and became the first sophomore to win the Heisman.

Many expected him to put up similar numbers this season, but he's well off the pace after the Gators (5-1, 3-1 Southeastern Conference) endured an up-and-down start on offense. Tebow has completed 62 percent of his passes for 1,235 yards, with 10 touchdowns and one interception. He also has 179 yards rushing and three scores.

He might have put himself back in the Heisman mix with a 51-21 victory against LSU on Oct. 11. He was 14-of-21 passing for 210 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran for a score.

"Tim hit some plays," coach Urban Meyer said. "I think they had an edge about them because they did not play well early in the year. Statistically, they were all right. But we didn't feel like the offense that everyone expected, including our players. Tim played very well."

A week later, Tebow appeared on ESPN's College GameDay and said he was likely to vote for Missouri's Chase Daniel. But after consecutive losses, including a head-to-head meeting with McCoy, Daniel has slipped from atop Tebow's list.

"I haven't seen everybody, but I don't think there is anybody above [McCoy] right now," Tebow said. "I'd have to look to see if there is anybody else right now, but I haven't seen anybody that's above him that's for sure."

Certainly not the 2007 Heisman winner.

"Ah, no," Tebow said. "He's OK."

Tebow knows there's plenty of time for things to change, too. After all, Boston College's Matt Ryan and Oregon's Dennis Dixon were Heisman front-runners around this time last year, and neither ended up making the trip to New York for the presentation.

Tebow made a late surge and became the third player in school history to win the Heisman. Now, he has a vote.

"I think it's cool," he said. "You have a responsibility. To have a vote for the Heisman is a pretty cool deal and something you should do wisely and have a well-educated vote."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Damnit Tebow.

Vote for yourself.

I wonder if OJ can vote for Heisman in jail.

13. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I think this week is another blowout, if Texas can just win that game at Tech they will win another MNC

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I'll bet you that the Longhorns win as many MLB playoff games as the Cubs did this year.

15. msn

msn Member

The *best* factoid to come out was that the Astros have won more playoff games at Minute Maid than the Cubs have at Wrigley!

AWESOME!! I forgot who brought that out, but massive kudos go his way.

Oh, and go 'Horns. Any Texas team going undefeated is a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.