1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[David Frum] Why Trump Supporters Think He Will Win

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/davidfrum">@davidfrum</a>'s view of the election from the mind of a Trump supporter is very worth a read <a href="https://t.co/rgCPAuDWKs">https://t.co/rgCPAuDWKs</a></p>&mdash; Jon Favreau (@jonfavs) <a href="https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/759270023538016256">July 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

David Frum, an anti-Trump Republican and a former GWB speechwriter, interviewed Trump supporters and advisors about why they think Trump will win. Very interesting read (at least for me, who doesn't live in Trump world).

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, you have to wonder why Russia is more scared of Dems than Republicans (well you don't but...).

I am surprised that Republicans here are not bothered by this.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Would have been easier to just say "because they are r****ded", but I guess it was an interesting article anyway.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I really doubt most of them think that much about it.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Does it have something to do with the 'gut'?

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It's not what they think, it's what they feel. Ask Newt.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's about that 'gut feeling'.

It's very simple. Many Trump supporters are white middle to lower class individuals who fear they will eventually turn into a minority which is catch 22 position since those same types of people state that minorities are treated fairly which begs the question... why are they afraid of becoming a minority?

2 people like this.
  8. Dei

Dei Member

Interesting how everyone so far's dismissed everything written in the without making any actual arguments. Liberals keep themselves sleeping at night by intellectual smuggery.

1 person likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

To Trump supporter - is this horse***** or is this fairly accurate?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Trump spent his entire life as a liberal until he thought he could fool Republicans into supporting him gaining political power. Honestly Hillary spent more time as a conservative in her life, she was a HUGE supporter of Barry Goldwater, basically she was as into Barry as the Bernie bros are into Bernie. Of course she's gone pretty far to the left since then, but at least she can say that at one point she was a conservative, Trump can't say that.

Trying to make this seem like a conservative vs liberal argument is wrong since the closest thing to a conservative that is in the race is Gary Johnson.....who isn't a conservative either. Among the major party candidates it's a decision between which liberal you like more.

11. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's been party over country for a long time. They aren't gonna back out now.

I have so much more respect for those republicans refusing to support this clown.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've never actually met a Trump supporter in real life, but I'm not so sure they're actually as ridiculous as those quoted in the article. Are there guys who are seriously complaining an insufficient number of damsels in distress in superhero movies? I mean I can see it from those self labeled beta-males (like that one young guy who went on a killing spree) but there can't be too many of those.

13. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't know the numbers, but the internet has quite a bit of space occupied by folks who think that way. Especially in gaming and science fiction spaces where there has been quite a bit of conflict stirred up by these people these last couple of years or so. (I am of course referring to the puppies and the gamergaters.)

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Another smug liberal reply.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">12. What separates the pro-Trump from the anti-Trump among them are their attitudes toward African Americans, Muslims,and immigrants</p>&mdash; Phil Klinkner (@pklinkne) <a href="https://twitter.com/pklinkne/status/759489784855355392">July 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Interesting Article
    I cannot argue with it. . . .if it is true it is true

Some part I can say are a stretch . . Trump doing well with black men will be a surprise
    If what they says about the Cops being ProTrump
    then Black men probably won't support the candidate that is Pro Cop
    The last few years have been disasterous for black men . . .
    Cops have minimal oversight and almost non existent accountability
    (Cops being arrest and prosecuted is rare . . esp when the victims are minorities)
    At the very least that is a common perception among the African American community

The primary issue is .. . . the loss of privilege. . the loss of their 'special' place in society.
    Equality is their greatest fear. . . . so it seems.

Rocket River

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure, under Obama the black community has been hit hard when it comes to poverty worsening and the income inequality between blacks and whites is worse now than it has been in nearly 30 years. Real median income declined in the black community and over 4 million more are on food stamps today than before the Obama administration.

Of course, it's not going to make them vote any differently, that's one community that is ALWAYS loyal to the donkey even if that community ends up worse off after they vote them into office.

Not saying Trump would do any better, and I'm sure as hell not going to vote for him, just stating the facts.

18. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

As long as the Republicans control the Senate there's not a who le lot the president can do.

People keep forgetting that part.

T_Man

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even when Obama controlled both the house and the senate, he did nothing positive. That said, you are showing exactly why some continually talk themselves into supporting people that do nothing for them. There's always someone else to blame for getting nothing positive accomplished.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I scanned through the article and if I have time later will read the whole thing but from what I read I agree with it. I know a several Trump supporters (almost all of them I know through Judo) and for the most part I think the are good people and have no problem considering most of them my friends. All of them are white males and most of them grew up and live in either rural or in the exurbs (fringes of the metro area). Most are also lower on the socio-economic scale. They are the same people who post things on Facebook about how Obama isn't an American, very arrogant and the worst President ever. They are also very pro-gun and very much believe that Democrats are out to take their guns.

My own impression, largely based on Facebook postings since I don't have personal political discussions with them, is that they get their info from a very narrow range of information sources. I think for they genuinely feel afraid for where the country is headed and also feel very confused and uncertain about the rapid pace of social changes. I think much of their views are not shaped by inherent racism but by limited life experiences and limited exposure during their formative years to different view points and now an unwillingness or inability to accept different world views.