1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Oct 15, 2020.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

haha yeah used to be when morey lit someone up now it will be becaused we got torched..if he goes to mavs 2020 will be worst year ever and i will quit rockets and basketball entirely

Zergling, HP3 and daywalker02 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

House did worse and outlasted Morey.

plutoblue11 and D-rock like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought Cuban was co-managing the Mavs.

4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

But then again I'm sure Hong Kong and Taiwan have their own lucrative laboratory firms. Ethics are loose when millions of scientists want to work.

#44 Sanctity, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    daywalker02 likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Appreciate the heck out of you, Mauory.

We were relevant in the national basketball conversation for just about your entire tenure here. A lot of smart moves kept us in the mix.

Basically, your run here was successful, with everything but the trophy. Going up against the W's and also Lebron's career was going to make a 'chip an especially tough climb.

6. BonziWellsGOAT

Found the CCP sleeper cell

7. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

Not a CPP cell buddy. I have relative in HK, Taiwan and Singapore. Just because the narrative doesn't fit yours means I am CCP mole?

8. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

What is sorta infuriating is these drive by posters don't fully appreciate nor understand the entire scope of the NBA. The politics of officiating etc....

D-rock likes this.
  9. BonziWellsGOAT

Lmfao drive by posters. Go to sleep pal

10. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Really sucks, say what you want but, our team currently has the longest playoff streak in the NBA under Morey.

https://www.landofbasketball.com/statistics/playoffs_active_streaks.htm

We didn't win a ring but we were very successful under Morey after the post Yao days as a 8th and 9th seed.

It may be China pressure or disagreement with ownership, or just ready to move on after 13 years. But he was an outstanding GM and will be missed.

Good luck Daryl, thank you for all your hard work and what you did for the team and city. We appreciate you

plutoblue11, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  11. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Ryan Anderson....yes it's that simple.

12. MettaWorldPete

For teams outside the glamour free agent destinations, nothing but a combination of high level front office skill and luck will result in a championship. (unless you're Cleveland, then you just needed Lebron to want to win one there). Under Morey, we had the former, but not quite enough of the latter. Without him, we surely would have been one of the vast majority of teams that never even contends. Thanks DM!

francis 4 prez, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sleeping yes.

14. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

No two ways around it: this sucks. Morey has been the best thing going for this organization for over a decade. He has been playing with a short deck and consistently has put this team in position to make playoff runs. He has discovered pieces in the G League and open market that no one else wanted and had them fit into this offense as meaningful pieces and managed to build a team around supermax contracts. I sadly don't see anyone filling his shoes competently.

slothy420, D-rock, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  15. opticon

opticon Member

Silver will ever admit it but this is due to China pressure. Morey is getting hush money so he will be quite about the real reason for leaving. When pressed he will chalk it up to looking for a new challenge and spending more time with family.

16. caneks

caneks Rookie

Morey tried, worked hard to pursue championship, but in a direction parallel to the right path. Time to move on. I like him as a person, not GM.

17. adoo

adoo Member

wtf were the nerd-ball stats when Morey made this stupid move

• kicked out a young proven point guard in Goran Dragic in order to
      • gift a poisoned-pill FA contract to JLin, w 3+wks of NBA playing experience whom, nary any nerdy-ball stats, Morey compared to Iverson, CP3 and LBJ

18. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I love Morey, but I also don't think it's the end of the Rockets.

Why Morey is great:
    • The best in the business at finding players that other teams didn't even consider
    • Would move Heaven and Earth to make a trade happen if it benefited the Rockets, and it paid off many times
    • Recognized that Harden could be even greater than others imagined
    • Probably has the highest IQ of any NBA GM and could juggle more balls than any of them as well
    • Pushed the Rockets to the extreme and changed the way the NBA plays
    • Had likely the best long-range planning skills and foresight of any GM the NBA has ever seen
    • He Tweeted, entertained us, and was extremely open about a lot of things, while other GMs are invisible
    • I like his philosophy on coaching hires, putting the Rockets first (as opposed to coaching regimes), and treating assistant coaches as a team decision rather than head coach decision
    Why the Rockets will be OK:
    • We had a chronic problem of predictability on offense during the playoffs, which manifests itself in bizarre ways; This has happened with Yao, McGrady, Harden, Paul, Westbrook, so I feel like it must come from the GM and not the coaches
    • He doesn't believe if flexibility (we got beat by Lakers that played our own game for just 1 series)
    • I always felt the coaches were being controlled too much by the front office
    • Pure charisma apparently makes a difference in the NBA when you're trying to land free agents and he lost to other GMs that had a lot more
    • He tweeted and wasn't invisible, drawing a lot of criticism to the team

THANK YOU DARYL MOREY! WE'RE GOING TO MISS YOU. I THINK WE MAY HAVE SOME FACE-PALMS IN OUR NEAR FUTURE BECAUSE OF YOUR ABSENCE.

daywalker02 and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

There are definite low points during Morey's tenure that can't be forgotten and there are times we can remember where a player transaction just didn't make sense. That being said, Morey made the most out of his time and available resources (aka assets) to get this organization and this city a contending team. Look at the teams that have won an NBA championship since our back to back:

Chicago has been in ruins for some time now with the last real good team being the Derrick Rose MVP team.
    Detroit had a significant drop off after their last NBA Finals appearance.
    Miami had to go through a period of time post LeBron before returning to the Finals this year.
    Cleveland ain't even a real time since LeBron left again.
    San Antonio's days of being a powerhouse looks to be over.
    Toronto might lose significant players this offseason.

Only Golden State and the Lakers have or can sustain an elite team. Morey continued to tinker--sometimes good, sometimes bad--but we could always count on him to try and make this team better. If Yao's foot had held up, if McGrady's back didn't take away his prime years, if Paul's hamstring would have held up for 2 more games...who knows what legacy Morey would have left? But, of course, injuries are a part of the game and that's the reality we have.

I hope that we don't end up like the Chicagos, the Detroits, or the Clevelands of the NBA and we probably won't because of Harden but once Harden's gone...dark days are ahead...if they haven't gotten here already.

daywalker02 and HP3 like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

Les wanted Lin....yall are just

Richie_Rich and D-rock like this.