1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I was never advocating not wearing a mask. I was just saying it's extremely uncomfortable, especially for those of us who have bad allergies and can't take medication for it.

I was also pointing out that the examples of sunglasses, earrings, and hats is a poor argument. Those objects don't restrict in any way, and in the case of sunglasses make it easier to see when it is too bright.

#9161 STR8Thugg, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

This is not true. South Korea and the US announced their first official case of Covid19 on the exact same day - January 20th, 2020. Germany announced their first official case on January 27th. The UK announced the first official case January 31st. The US and EU (especially outside of Italy) were on similar timelines. We are not lagging the EU by a few months. We are leading the EU now with our 2nd wave (arguably just continuation of the first wave). The main issue is we stamped out Covid19 outbreak in the NYC metro area and it just migrated to other parts of the country that were more lax (ex. Florida). Without border controls between states and a centralized national quarantine, we will continue to fail.

Nook, Andre0087 and malakas like this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I dont think this is a supply chain failure. I think its more complicated than that. In a round about way, I believe the problem lies in our healthcare system. And I really want to b**** about how we gave so much power to the greedy insurance companies 8 years ago who control the flow of massive amounts of money in our healthcare system. The insurance companies have no motivation (NONE!) to fast track the testing process. Logistically its extremely difficult to test millions of people in a timely manner considering most of our health care does not have a system to workout side of this giant mammoth.

So if we really want to b**** about the administration, we should b**** about the lack of measures to improve testing. This is where the Federal Government could really help. Instead, we are still talking about masks. All of the other developed countries have improved on this.

Lets just keep babbling on about masks.

4. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

You are right but for the benefit of those that wear glasses, I want to add that there are some masks/respirators, such as the 3M Aura, that are designed to minimize fogging. They can be found on eBay from time to time.

5. Major

Major Member

Trump retweeted this *yesterday*:

“Everyone is lying. The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust.”

Today, the administration's own head of testing had to come out and say: "none of us lie".

When that is the messaging coming out of the White House, and repeated by the most popular news source amongst 40% of the US population, this is not the fault of the people. It's the fault of the messengers.

The way to get people to wake up and apply safe practices is by the administration telling people trust the doctors - not accuse them of lying - and to not repeatedly contradict everything the rest of his own government is saying. The ones that aren't listening and applying safe practices are literally the ones that are instead listening to Trump.

This is 100% not true. At this point, you're straight up lying or ignorant. The US is not a few months behind Europe - they had their first outbreak (Italy) in early March and we had ours in late March - a few weeks at best. And at no point were they EVER at the level of cases we are now at. We are in no way, shape, or form just "behind them". We are way beyond where they ever got, and most European countries peaked within a month of the initial outbreak. We are still rising 4 months later.

Nook, BigM and Andre0087 like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

There are many antihistamine medications that unlike Benadryl are second and third generation with less adverse effects.
    You shouldnt be allergic to all of them since their active ingredient have nothing to do with each other.
    Go see an allergiologist and you wont have to go through that hell.

I also have allergic asthma btw and in spring I could tolerate a mask for at most 30 minutes. It is hard.
    I watch how NBA players in the bubble can wear masks for hours and I am jealous.

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. Space Ghost

At this point we need to stop debating masks. Regardless of your stance on masks, if you are not wearing one, you should not be out in public. End of story. End of debate.

The municipals need to enforce the measure, not the feds. Not the president.

We also need to stop talking about the Administrations ignorant and absurd approach. He's not going to change.

We need to start talking about how to improve testing and results. We need to start talk tracing. Most of us have a device on us all times that have the ability to trace. Start using it!!!

STR8Thugg and Ubiquitin like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

This is nice and all, except that lots of people disagree. And because of that, it's still a debate. Unfortunately, one side doesn't get to just say "agree with me, and thus end of debate". If we could do that, this problem would have been solved months ago.

Municipal leaders aren't always allowed to enforce the measures. Many state governors have restricted that ability or provided mixed messaging to encourage law enforcement to ignore the orders. Those governors get their talking points from ... the President.

Federal resources are required for testing and tracing. If the administration is not going to change, and there's no point in talking about things that won't change, there's no point in talking about TTI either.

Nook, ElPigto and arkoe like this.
  9. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

yep, pointless to debate about wearing a mask and its effectiveness. Everywhere you go require one, if you dont like it, simply stay your ass home.

Nook and Ubiquitin like this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

My friend was more unhappy with the press release than the actual study.

malakas likes this.
  11. Space Ghost

If 50% of the people say masks are useful and 50% say they are not but 95% are wearing them (properly), can we not agree this problem has been resolved?
    There are many things I disagree with, but our social contract makes me abide by them.

Google and Apple have already implemented the capability. Even if we can get 50% of the people to report their Unique Identifier when affected by COVID and the rest of the population only agrees to go passive, it will certainly wake individuals up to how often they could be exposed.

But in typical fashion, those who can make a difference are more interested in controlling the data than actually sharing...regardless of ones POV.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

CCity Zero, Ubiquitin and malakas like this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

"Man, that is a lot of adverse events,” said Tony Moody, a doctor and researcher at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute. He said it would be “unusual” for a vaccine to have this rate of side effects. On the plus side, he said that the antibody levels produced were “really encouraging.”"

Yeah..not going to volunteer to be the first to try that.

Nook, CCity Zero and JumpMan like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

new alert for Fort Bend County where I stay

Fort Bend County has moved into the red category which signifies High Community Risk for COVID19 Transmission, meaning outbreaks are present and worsening and that testing and contact tracing capacity is strained or exceeded. At this level, residents need to take action to minimize contacts with others wherever possible and avoid leaving home except for the most essential needs like going to the grocery store for food and medicine.

While daily activities are quickly scaling back up to status quo levels, we are entering an entirely different environment that places novel responsibilities upon each of us. Positive cases in our County and Region are increasing at alarming rates. Our hospital systems are preparing for additional capacity as the Texas Medical Center in Houston enact their surge plans. Regional demand on COVID-19 testing has grown exponentially due to uncontrolled community spread of this virus.

Please find attached a document designed to offer guidance to our communities as we navigate the new reality of life during the COVID-19 pandemic. Such personal accountability remains one of our most effective tools in the ongoing siege against the novel coronavirus. At this time, we are in the red “high risk” category. This is the highest possible level of risk.

Local medical professionals compiled the enclosed guidance in pursuit of their lone goal of containment of COVID-19 in Fort Bend County. Please read the recommendations not as infringement upon personal liberty, but as acts of solidarity that will protect the livelihoods of your loved ones, neighbors, and the local health professionals who endeavor each day to care for us. By adhering to these suggestions, we can solidify the progress we have made thus far and hasten our return to the life that we love – one of safety, wellbeing, community, and camaraderie.

Sincerely,

KP George

Fort Bend County Judge

JumpMan and Juxtaposed Jolt like this.
  15. Juxtaposed Jolt

Everyone should be made alert of this, even if you're in East Houston like Baytown or something. Very important to know what the status is for counties in close proximity.

Thanks, @Reeko!

Reeko likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

We need 100% of people to wear masks, though. 95% vigilance seems good and all, but any of the remaining 5% could eventually end up infecting any of the 95 percenters. All it takes is a few bad/ignorant apples.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Shoot I missed this during market, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (that's what I get for leaving desk). Hahah, mrna sure climbed after hours. I hope the news stays positive for the most part.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hope it pans out!

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

For sure, me too.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

I mean, we can debate the healthcare system of the US versus other countries until we're blue in the face. But let's say we want to change something regarding the current system. Changing anything in the system takes into account many factors. Manpower, money, motivation, time. In addition, people have to up and leave their house to go to a place to get tested - a place most likely where people with virus symptoms congregate.

However, something like putting on a mask is something one can do, today, that will most likely have immediate results. It's so elementary and common sense, and is a solid first-line defense against a respiratory bug.