1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

That's bc there's no such thing as data when it comes to 70k people protesting, rioting, looting etc.. Covid apparently doesn't exist when it comes to that. And we don't hear about it for a reason.

its funny how that works as i've said before. in no way is it consistent and adds to the current mess where nobody knows what to actually believe anymore. and people seem to be under the assumption bars are all this closed tight spaced enclosure. the common bars these days are outdoors/patio accessible. many of them are purely based outdoors, especially the modern day bars. The masks especially the ones that provide the absolute minimal protection is severely overused as a valid excuse why protesting is just fine but somehow being on a beach is frowned upon and needs to close.

#8681 YOLO, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Turbo, malakas and Sajan like this.
  2. Major

Major Member

Except there is. There have been studies done using cell phone and mobility data, as well as testing results and comparative studies between areas with different levels of protests. There's a whole field of science dedicated to this kind of stuff. All of this has been pointed out to you - you just choose to ignore it and repeat your own arbitrary opinions that are literally based on nothing except what you want to believe.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's no such thing as data being able to track 70k people and everything that comes with it and thats completely valid science. you claim everyone else is doing this and that and yet you do the same exact thing. don't kid yourself

Data please track all of this and be valid. numbers where they were and what they did before protests even began. Whether any of these people were already covid positive and asymptomatic. then gather together shoulder to shoulder, yell/scream, many with no masks for hours and hours. Then where and what they did after these protests stopped. All the people and things they've come/been in contact with. All the respiratory particles exerted in that time span

science though they said. How many people sneezed or coughed during this time? science and data studies have all that down.

#8683 YOLO, Jul 1, 2020
    malakas likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Any credible studies out there that note where the most common places people caught the disease are? Churches, gyms, etc?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

peleincubus and Kim like this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If there is then I can't find it. I did see that one mobile data study that tried to determine the racial demographics, age, and origins of the protesters, but it was only from 4 cities.

I can't even find up to date age demographics of the new cases in Texas or Travis county specifically.

YOLO likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't think there is anyway I could be convinced that large protests across the country didn't play a significant part in the increase in cases -- I do believe opening up too soon was the main factor, but a mass gathering during a pandemic is going to cause the virus to spread.

Nook and malakas like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

I posted an article about one study a few days back in this thread, but NewRoxFan did a better job here:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/as-we-start-to-re-open.304840/page-81#post-12993301

Literally a dozen or more links come up if you google "BLM Protests Covid 19". Here's the referenced study that used cell phone data:

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27408

And its summary:

Sparked by the killing of George Floyd in police custody, the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests have brought a new wave of attention to the issue of inequality within criminal justice. However, many public health officials have warned that mass protests could lead to a reduction in social distancing behavior, spurring a resurgence of COVID-19. This study uses newly collected data on protests in 315 of the largest U.S. cities to estimate the impacts of mass protests on social distancing and COVID-19 case growth. Event-study analyses provide strong evidence that net stay-at-home behavior increased following protest onset, consistent with the hypothesis that non-protesters’ behavior was substantially affected by urban protests. This effect was not fully explained by the imposition of city curfews. Estimated effects were generally larger for persistent protests and those accompanied by media reports of violence. Furthermore, we find no evidence that urban protests reignited COVID-19 case growth during the more than three weeks following protest onset. We conclude that predictions of broad negative public health consequences of Black Lives Matter protests were far too narrowly conceived.

Nook and OmegaSupreme like this.
  9. Major

Major Member

The simple explanation: protests caused spread to increase. Everyone else staying home to avoid the protests caused spread to decrease. Net effect: zero. This is borne out by actual evidence and scientific research.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Do we really need studies to show that gatherings of thousands of people standing next to each other for hours inhaling and exhaling aerosols spreads virus and bacteria?
    Dont make me laugh.

It could be much worse without masks but no masks can stop a super sreading event like that.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

malakas likes this.
  12. Pringles

Pringles Member

Anyone know of COVID testing places in Houston that will give same day results? And if so, at what price?

Kim likes this.
  13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Some people who said nothing while ‘anti mask’ protestors were yelling in people’s faces and who were riding at least one of the cars on that ‘overblown/fake/media panic’ train are suddenly very concerned about protests and virus spread. Funny that.

Protests and mass reopening was happening at the same time. plenty of people and media knew that protests could contribute to virus spread. But damn, A significant chunk of society can’t even be convinced the problem exists and did jack **** to mitigate it. it’s all part of the equation. Not surprising certain folks would decide to hone in on (1) of the protests primarily.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That study is fine, but it would probably be a lot easier if we could see the change in cases in the demographics that were mostly at the protests. I can't find any up to date age demographics for counties or states where we are currently seeing spikes.

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Got cut back 3 days a week at the plant back in May. Mask order in effect for all common areas in in mid june. I havent heard many complaints.

If they cut my hours any more I will wait until the study on the looters infection rate is completed before I participate.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

ROLL COVID PAAAWWWLL

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students have been organizing "COVID parties" as a game to intentionally infect each other.

She said the organizers of the parties are purposely inviting guests who have COVID-19.

"They put money in a pot and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense," McKinstry said. "They're intentionally doing it."

#8696 J.R., Jul 1, 2020
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I hope for Abbot’s sake there are less than 5000 cases tomorrow. Homeboy needs a break. I’m sure he hasn’t been sleeping too well.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Roll Tide... of Infection

J.R. and davidio840 like this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I disagree that it makes no sense

IF you think that youre gonna get it anyways , best time to get it is early before all the beds fill up

not that im advocating for this .....

but there is at least a LITTLE rationale