1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cord Cutting] AT&T to launch streaming DirecTV service, no dish required

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Apr 8, 2016.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

After Apple's failed attempt, I'm cautiously optimistic. If it gives me the ability to watch on more than one TV at a time in the same house I'm all in.

LINK

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

if they don't have the advertisements that take up a quarter of the screen during the program i want to watch... then i'm in.

3. HR Dept

Wow... Who's service does that? SlingTV?

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think the fatal flaw in a lot of these services is the necessity of a third party to provide internet. Where I'm at, Comcast sans TV plus DirectTV is the same price as Comcast for all needs. Furthermore, the comcast deal I have has more channels. A la carte TV is still far too pricey for my taste.

5. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

comcast... any major network channel. for instance... i could be watching "sons of anarchy" on fx and out of nowhere i get a huge animated ad telling me that "the strain" comes on sundays. move that crap out the way! :grin:

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't entirely get the value add here. Is it going to be really cheap or the same pricing? If the same pricing, the only value add, I assume, is the ability to watch it where-ever you want. Eg. to make your subscription portable.

Except I can already do that with my dish subscription. It isn't as smooth as Netflix (what is?) but I watch live tv or recorded shows on my Dish app all the time...

Also, a big take away from that experience is that the "fast-forward" value is really hammered. You don't have to watch commercials on stuff you've DVRd... just that it is harder to fast forward. They have the skip 30 second ahead option on the app, too, but since I don't have fiber internet or anything it is painful....

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The value added is no contracts, no installation, no dish. Just sign up and watch TV. Many places are difficult to install a dish and others do not have HD available via cable.

Why wait for this when you can get Playstation Vue? Playstation Vue is much better than SlingTV

8. marky :)

marky :) Member

Agreed. Got playstation vue and it is far better than SlingTV. SlingTV's channel guide is pretty bad with the thumbnail views. I like also there's a 'cloudDVR' for Vue.

Also its 30$ for 55 channels which are all the ones I mainly watch and no cancellation fees.

9. body slam

body slam Member

does Vue offer shows on demand?

10. HR Dept

Absolutely.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Snack on content ?

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

apparently it's effective.

13. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Although unlikely, I'm really hoping that they offer RootSports SW since they technically own the channel. If that were to happen I would jump all over this (since the Rockets are the only reason I still have cable)