1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cops Gonna Cop] Austin police body-slam black teacher, officer tell her blacks have 'violent tenden

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Expecting ANYTHING from the public is asking too much, you have to realize that it's a bunch of idiots like CometsWin out there. Without significant improvements in education and overall IQ of the masses, you're just going to have incidents like this when people refuse to comply with lawful orders and get themselves arrested.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think we can a use a hug right now.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is it ok for cops to assume blacks are violent and therefore should be treated like criminal dogs even in routine traffic stops?

You ok with that. I guess I'm not surprised.

4. dback816

dback816 Member

Why did this make the news? The cop who pulled the trigger is Latino right, so it wasn't racism.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

He did not assume anything. From the get-go she failed to follow his politely issued instructions.

You failed to note the facts; I'm not surprised.

6. Dei

Dei Member

Man, those cops were loose. That boy could've grabbed their pistol and iced them on the spot. No hugs while you're on the beat yo.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm such an idiot that unlike you, I understand proportional use of force. You see when someone asks you to hurry up and doesn't put their foot in their car fast enough, ripping her out of her car and slamming her to the concrete is not what we call proportional use of force. There's no attempt on his part to de-escalate anything. He's a trained peace officer and he intentionally put himself and this lady in danger by flipping out and rapidly escalating this situation.

What's even more troubling is when the cop lies to his fellow officers about this woman taking a swing at him. Again, if it weren't for the video nobody would know about this guy because cops are professional liars.

8. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Nice way to rationalize your disagreement with the police chief.

We put our cops to a higher standard. This cop is a bad apple and people that continue to support bad apples is what slow down progress.

9. giddyup

With 4 little words you proved Bobby's diagnosis to be correct.

10. giddyup

Is there anything profoundly inaccurate in my rationalization? I do think this cop went a bit over the top, but this woman was non-cooperative for minutes on end.

You do realize that the cop doesn't even know that she's an elementary school teacher... which means WHAT I DON'T KNOW but people are sure putting it out there in her defense.

How can a cop do this to an elementary school teacher? I might retort "How can an elementary school teacher be so disrespectful of law enforcement?"

We do hold our cops to a higher standard... and he spent minutes trying get her to do what he wanted that was proper procedurally, i.e. get back in the car and close the door.

How long should he go on asking nicely-- ten more minutes? thirty more minutes?

11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Bull****. Not even a minute had passed you idiot. He asked her to put her legs in the car once then again after three seconds had passed before telling her to stand up out of the car, contradicting his orders to her I might add. After some car horn honking from his assault on her she agreed to get out of the car and asked him not to touch her. He then continues to grab her and throws her out of the car face first. Again I ask if this was your wife, daughter or niece treated this way for acting similarly as this woman, wouldn't you think the cop was overreacting? Her car didn't appear to be some clunker. Not as though she was wearing gang paraphernalia or some apparel she might possibly be a danger. She's a 100 lb. woman. Don't you think there are perhaps better ways to handle the situation than what the cop did?

#111 London'sBurning, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The second she refused to comply with a lawful order during the stop the cop had grounds to arrest her. A minute doesn't have to pass. She was failing to comply with orders from the beginning. The final time he asked her to get back in the vehicle, she refused, he asked again, she refused, then he asked her to step out of the vehicle because at that point she was under arrest. She then fought with him and he had to physically remove her. If she wasn't a complete and total moron, there would have been no problem and she'd have just gotten a speeding ticket and been on her way. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

13. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't said profoundly, but it's up there.

Her job function, like her race, doesn't matter. Police officers should treat all people first as human being and then based on their actions.

I think we value police very much and I think they were up there on the list of very respected public servants.... But, no, we do not put to even a high standard. The fault is with society, with police departments, with police union and with lack of training and resources. Dallas PD has shown what higher standard means. They are a good example of where policing can progress to.

In this case it wasn't even min as pointed out already. But to answer - as long as it take to do your job. Losing your cool and control isn't what we want of cops. That's a normal standard for any job functions, let along a function where lethal weapon is involved.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't imagine my wife, daughter or niece to be in this situation.

15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

That's the problem.

16. giddyup

I watched the timer on the video. At the 55 second mark (not the 3 seconds that the OP suggests) that it starts to escalate.

He had asked her to get back in the car-- a couple of times. Then he had to ask her to put her feet in the car. When he asked that the second time and she did not comply is when it went off rail The whole struggle runs a bit over 3 minutes.

She TOLD the officer not to touch her after apparently he first tried to pull her out of the car when she did not get out as he had asked.

If she is not resisting why does it take a couple of minutes to get her into handcuffs? With a compliant person, it would take 10 seconds or less.

Are you saying that she was compliant during that entire time? Did the officer cause the delays?

I would not want this to happen to anyone but she has first responsibility for how this went down. She made it difficult for the officer and it's not the officer's job to interpret that. His life is often on the line in these situations when someone is non-compliant-- even with a 100 pound woman. Who knows what weapons she may have?

17. giddyup

What was inaccurate-- even if not profoundly?

It's her defenders who are throwing out her job as some kind of defense, not me. I totally agree with you.

Police officers are humans first working in a stressful job and it is worse than ever. As citizens, we owe them our respect and compliance when called upon-- even, maybe especially, when being arrested. It's best for us and for them. No one wants to be arrested but she wasn't being arrested for speeding; she was being arrested for resisting the officer... even before the wrestling match began.

She had an easy way out and declined to take it.

18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

It's the officer's job you're using as a defense for his assault on her. His violence towards her is condoned even though she posed no threat physically to him whatsoever.

If a person dives into my car like he did, I'm probably going to resist. If that person has my arm bent awkwardly like the officer did to her, I'm probably going to be in pain and resist. If a person ragdolls me face first on the pavement like he did, I'm probably going to be in a state of shock and very defensive. It's not as though cops aren't above kicking someone's ass and "losing" cam footage when it could be used against them. I mean it took a year after the statutes of limitations had passed before this was released to the public.

The thing I don't get is if this officer didn't have on an APD uniform and pulled the same stunt, we'd all be in agreement it was assault on his part. She didn't throw a strike. She wasn't shouting expletives at him even when attacked. The officer noticed she didn't have her wallet on her. I think it's safe to assume he'd noticed if she was packing heat or had another type of weapon on her. Being a cop has got to be one of the only jobs where someone doesn't begin a violent act but you can retaliate with violence and get away with it. No repercussions that follow other than a nice paid vacation with city tax dollars and a slap on the wrist most of the time.

And again maybe my perception of cops is warped. An APD officer pulled over my oldest sister some years ago and molested her when he suspected she had narcotics on her. She was driving a minivan with my two nieces that were toddlers at the time in the backseat. She's never done drugs. Yet she got pulled over randomly by an officer who claimed he had reasonable suspicion she was carrying narcotics on her. He then decided to pat her down, being a bit more generous with his touching in other areas. He didn't follow procedure and get a female officer to do the procedure. He got to molest her uncontested in front of my nieces with zero punishment that followed. Again, only with an APD uniform could a person get away with bull**** like that.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, I would be incredibly ashamed of my wife, daughter, or niece if they caused a situation like this. I guess some just have expectations that their loved ones will be intelligent people and some assume that their loved ones would be just as stupid as the woman in this incident.

All she had to do was comply with the lawful orders of the police officer and she'd have just gotten a speeding ticket and been on her way. Thousands of people manage to do this every single day, but some people aren't intelligent enough to be pulled over without turning it into an arrest.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

And you're going to get your ass handed to you like she did. If you resist an officer, you are going to get arrested. If you resist arrest, you're going to get your ass handed to you. End of story.

What the hell are you talking about? What if pigs could fly? In what world do you live in that any person can stop another person and detain them? The woman was stopped and being given a citation, she wasn't stopping at McDonalds to get a big Mac. Who else would be pulling her over?

Nobody is advocating molestation. Did she file a complaint?