1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cops Gonna Cop] Austin police body-slam black teacher, officer tell her blacks have 'violent tenden

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Rocket River

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

With all this sissyfication of the police how can cops ever instill discipline upon the citizenry?

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

CH, you are so right. Especially when the second grade school teacher was obviously so "angry", heck so "uppity". You know how "the blacks" can get when good hardworking police officers are trying to work with them...

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Stating that blacks have violent tendencies, while insensitive, is a factually correct statement. Blacks represent around 16% of the youth of this country, and are responsible for over 50% of juvenile crime arrests -- from Wikipedia. Those are the cold hard numbers. Nothing enrages liberals more than hearing a truth that cuts against their narrative.

... if you want to upset a conservative, lie to them. If you want to upset a liberal, tell them the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts, but it must be known in order for improvement to be made. It is time to lay down our nation's guilt and political correctness and start calling a spade a spade.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Becky with the good hair wouldn't get half the **** shown on the video.

Yep... but we won't.

#65 Invisible Fan, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Are you implying that's police treat black differently and that treatment is justifiable because of this?

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's not the truth that upsets liberals, it's the intentional cherry picking of data without context to fit a racial superiority agenda. It's classic conservatism. No wonder so many minorities have stopped voting Republican. You can expect that trend to continue my friend. Keep up the good work!

POVERTY, NOT RACE, TIED TO HIGH CRIME RATES IN URBAN COMMUNITIES

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Violent crime rates have more to do with poverty levels in a neighborhood than with the race of local residents, new research has found.

A study of Columbus neighborhoods found that violent crime rates in extremely disadvantaged white neighborhoods were very similar to rates in comparable Black neighborhoods.

The violent crime rate in highly disadvantaged Black areas was 22 per 1,000 residents, not much different from the 20 per 1,000 rate in similar white communities.

There are still many people who mistakenly believe there is something about Black neighborhoods that make them more violent and prone to crime, said Lauren Krivo, co-author of the study and associate professor of sociology at Ohio State University.

Our research shows that neighborhoods with the most crime tend to be those with the highest rates of poverty and other types of disadvantage -- regardless of whether they are predominantly Black or white.

In this study, overall rates of violence were nearly three times as high in Black neighborhoods as in white neighborhoods. But thats because Black neighborhoods are much more likely than white ones to be highly disadvantaged, she said.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like what the Dallas police department has done in regards to training their officers in de-escalation techniques, community relations etc. The police chief came in there, and ended up firing around 70 officers, I believe. He took action to avoid problems like this.

No police department including the Dallas police department will ever be perfect.

If more departments put in the kind of reform efforts that Dallas has, the better our law enforcement departments will be.

It will take time.

Meanwhile, there is never an excuse for murdering cops. Most of them are there to serve and protect the community. They are working hard, sometimes risking their lives, and well-being in order to allow everyone else to live in a better society. They have immense amounts of stress and strain that many professions don't ever deal with. It will help if everyone can be empathetic to that.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Unfortunately, there won't be much done to either officer... as the "rules" in place seem to protect their wrongdoings... apparently police officers face a much shorter "statute of limitations" than the larger public:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local/violent-arrest-of-teacher-caught-on-video-officers/nr3W6/

But perhaps something may come in the form of a special investigations inquiry:

The Austin police chief was pretty direct in statements to the press:

Even the police union spoke about both officer's actions (though apparently, more so about the racists comments):

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

That's the problem! It's not the cops job to teach respect for authority and to understand the purpose of the police-- for the good of all.

11. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I think he is pointing out that this woman would have had the hammer put down on her regardless of her race. She ignored his instructions and insisted on carrying out her own agenda.

T_J can't help it if crime stats don't lie.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

An arrest of a resisting suspect never looks good. We went over all of this in the Bland case, but the cop can order her out of the car during a stop. Her refusal is resisting, so she can be arrested. None of this would have happened to her if she followed simple directions. Then you can see her fighting against his control while she is simultaneously saying she is cooperating. It's like some people have no idea how to act when they get pulled over. He probably gets some sort of discipline to mollify the whiners.

The one in the car talking to her is making hyperbolic statements (no, black people are not responsible for 99% of violent incidents), but the statement that black people have violent tendencies is accurate. Black people are 13% of the population but commit more than 50% of violent crime. That is the definition of violent tendencies.

The lesson, as per usual: don't run from the cops, don't fight the cops, listen to and follow the instructions of the cops. If you do this, 999,999 times out of a million your encounter with the police will be entirely peaceful and you can sort out any issues in court.

1 person likes this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

True, the other fact (leaving aside race as a potential factor) is that he told her twice to put her feet in the car and she didn't immediately comply. I suppose this is what you're referring to?

My position is that he said it twice, in quick succession, and then immediately tried to arrest her when she responded with "could you please hurry up?" That is, he didn't grant her a reasonable amount of time to process the command and comply. If she said nothing, took half a second, and then put her feet in the car as he requested, I assume the arrest wouldn't have occurred. This is why I say, in effect, he was trying to arrest her for asking the question, which he took as a sign of disrespect. To me, that's not just. I don't believe officers should be arresting people for being mildly discourteous while getting written up for a ticket.

I absolutely agree. If all people said was, "Her not immediately complying with the police officer was not a smart decision on her part," I would agree and leave it at that. But, you have posters here who are trying to cast her as an "*******", "b****", "trash", etc.

I find that way over the top, and I can't help but wonder if such epithets would still be used so freely here against her if she wasn't a black woman. We know really nothing about her, whether she was in a hurry to get somewhere, whether she had prior experiences with officers that made her feel that she was being targeted, etc., and people are still so quick to judge her on such a personal level. I'm glad you're being at least more reasonable and level-headed than that.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This is a reasonable take. But, he didn't simply order her out of the car and she refused. He tried to physically pull her out of the car. That's a key difference, in my opinion.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're one of the biggest racial bigots on this board. We should live in a world of gray but the likes of you choose ONLY to see black and white.

You chose to quote 4 people, all who agreed on one thing; She was resisting compliance that would be given to any other person, regardless of race. You then felt the need to bring up the color of the persons skin and compare them to Nazi murders.

Rocket River, I have come to the conclusion you are an extremist. You have the psyche that believes any white person who disagrees with you on race is the same as a Nazi. Do you really believe a typical white conservative really wants to round up all black people and exterminate them? Clearly you do.

The real question is, in your extremism, do you have the urge to take up arms and start shooting down these racist cops? After all, they are like the Nazi's, right?

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Exactly. RR is a hateful, racially motivated, lazy-thinking dunce. His post above is just absolute trash.

1 person likes this.
  17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think it's time we stop thinking like this when it comes to the public's relationship with law enforcement.

The police should be trained and expected to, from the outset, deescalate scenarios. Especially during simple traffic/pedestrian stops.

Going into the situation with the attitude of "obey all orders or eat dirt" sets a very, very low bar for police conduct.

I side with the police more often than not on this BBS, but I fail to see why such a routine and clearly non-threatening situation necessitated such violence.

Officer needed a lot more patience, restraint, and situational awareness. That's a huge part of the job.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He got disciplined for being overly physical and he should have been, that said the woman was refusing lawful orders given during a stop and as such should have been arrested. When she refused to get out in order to be arrested, she should have been physically removed. The officer did it too physically because she was being such a b**** about the whole thing, but that's the only thing he did wrong.

Look, I generally despise cops. I've had to deal with tons of really bad cops in my past and as such I know what people can do and what they can't do when they are dealing with cops. Anytime someone refuses lawful orders they deserve to be roughed up a bit and arrested no matter who they are. It's basically poking a bear. That said, just because they deserve it doesn't mean that giving them what they deserve is without consequences. If the officer has a long history of roughing people up, then he should be let go. If this was just one incident where an entitled little millennial got under his skin and he was a little too rough while rightfully arresting her, then write him up and see that he doesn't do it again. End of story.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The million dollar question.

I'm going to make a prediction: we are going to discover in the near future that manipulating the sound in this kind of footage is not as uncommon as we expect.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bahaha. Ha. Classic.