1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CONFIRMED] - Rockets fattest team in playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

People still use the BMI?

I remember when I ranked in the middle of the 'Overweight' graphic.

Whilst running a 13.3 on the beep test.

Whilst at the School of Infantry.

Stupid metric is stupid.

s3ts likes this.
  2. macan

macan Member

nice knowing Rockets is the fattest team in this league. i'm now feeling a lot better being a fat man myself.
    fat supports fat

fattz likes this.
  3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

We don’t need to get any taller, we need to be able to make open shots. By now, after 4 years of this stuff, would you not think we would be the best 3point shooting team in the nba? LA could hammer down on Harden cause they knew we weren’t hitting anything from 3.

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it's about getting the most skilled guys on the court as opposed to wasting court time on an unskilled big just to have a big on the court. like we made the lakers do by benching dwight/javale. how you do it is a matter of whom you can acquire. might be small, quick guys who provide tons of offense and no defense. might be the types of players we had who aren't lightning quick on offense but still provide some defense. obviously, if anthony davis says he only wants to be traded to your team, then you take him as an ultra-mobile, multi-faceted on offense, great at defense "small"-ball center. but if you have $8M left to spend, you take pj tucker.

through guys we had already acquired in harden/gordon/tucker, the rockets had a critical mass of one type of small ball player you would want. shorter guys who can guard the perimeter but also stout guys who can guard the post and have really long wingspans that effectively make them taller than they seem. we just happened to have some of the better examples in the league of guys who couldn't be moved on post-ups. i don't think we specifically got harden or gordon for these body types, but tucker is probably a great example of someone who is more valuable than their contract precisely because he doesn't seem like a good defender because of his height but he is because of his strength.

from there the simplest way to go "all in" was so acquire another similar piece. covington has a very long wingspan and gives you good 3 point shooting. in a sense, everybody fits together well. i suppose you could argue that everybody basically being the same leaves you vulnerable to something like we saw with okc and their quick guards, but having a small/quick player might also be a weak (from a strength perspective) link for the defense to exploit after you've done so much work to have strength everywhere.

the fact we didn't win it all is no real surprise. we weren't close to winning it all with capela this year so the best you are going to do is make a trade for relatively equal talent but slightly better fit and hope it raises the level of the team. it was never likely to take us from where we were to championship level, it was just a bet on variance and catching lightning in a bottle. when the reason for making the trade (westbrook) plays the worst he's ever played, an already unlikely scenario was basically hopeless.

there is no team we could build where the stats wouldn't say to take a lot of 3's. good shooters or bad shooters, 3's are worth more than mid-range 2's for essentially everybody. the rockets have consistently chosen role players with good defense and average 3 point shooting over role players with average defense and great 3 point shooting. i don't know if that's the right idea and would kind of like to see this team with ~40% 3 point shooters taking 50-60 3's a game, even if they can't guard anybody, and just see if we can outscore people. it would be the ultimate version of what we are doing. but it's also hard to argue with the results of the tucker's, luc's, and ariza's of the world considering how good we were the previous 2 years and the fact we got to a WCF with guys like corey brewer and josh smith playing big minutes.

i would say it was mostly an example of james harden and chris paul disliking each other right at the moment chris paul's trade value was its lowest and us basically being forced to trade him for a way worse player, thus lowering the ceiling of the team, and then trying to make the best of it in an outside the box sorta way.

certainly possible that's the case. if anything, the end of the season largely seemed to say we weren't any better or worse after the trade, just different. considering clint's injury resulted in him not playing in atlanta, it's hard to argue making the trade was a bad thing for this season at least.

psaman17, kjayp and HP3 like this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Hard disagree bro. We had stretch a 4, Tucker. Westbrook was trash with Clint on the floor(and especially with Harden on the floor). Westbrook can't use a pick and roll because it will get exposed heavily in the playoffs. All you have to do is go under the pick and let Westbrook shoot and its a rap. What do you think happend to him these last couple of years. He's simply not a good shooter or decision maker. The fact that Westbrook got more efficient after small ball is the proof you need.

kjayp likes this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Thank you for the well thought out replies!
    I'll chew on what you are saying for a bit...

:)

7. psaman17

psaman17 Member

I mean we have Harden so obviously we're gonna win this game. That boy is THICC

8. rockets13champs

This chart has no correlation to anything significant LOL

9. kjayp

Sure I agree that having the paint totally empty benefits WB... but c'mon you cant find a way to utilize WBs skillset without totally bastardizing your entire rotation and game plan? Personally, I think the whole small ball approach had long been MDAs desire - and WB just provided a somewhat justifiable excuse to embrace it - rather than tinkering and finding ways within a conventional set to better utilize WB. Clearing the paint may allow you to maximize WBs contributions - but at what cost? If opening the paint for WB = diminished rim protection + no alley oop option for Harden + putrid rebounding + whatever else... at some point you hit the point of diminishing returns where the cure is more devastating than the illness... Imo if we could have found a way to maybe get 75-80% of WBs potential benefit without sacrificing all we did - that would have been a better route to explore...
    and for all the accommodations made, WB was still crap in the playoffs... as we gave up to 62 pitb and got our butts constantly abused on the boards... so theres that... lol

Harden managed to drive to rim and be effective with CC there... couldnt he have worked with WB to get similar results? As you stated WB is not a good decision maker - that was the correction to make... not rearranging everything so he didnt have to make a decision... imo...

HP3 likes this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

Right, there is nothing wrong with what you are saying, I think its great, in fact I think Harden would probably benefit from a more skilled big(Harden can be good in any system). For what its worth if we never do that Westbrook trade, and we found a way to keep Clint while getting covington, it would have been amazing. O r the very least we could have gotten a cheap big to replace Clint with the picks. The problem here lies in the fact that I dont believe there is another way to utilize Westbrook. Maybe I'm wrong(you'll see with the new coach tbh) but I simply dont believe we can win with him as our second best player. Do you you see it? Im asking because Im in pretty low faith of the guy at this moment. Like...I dont know how to utilize this dude in a way that gets us a championship and maybe Im looking for positivity haha.

kjayp likes this.
  11. psaman17

psaman17 Member

This is a fantastic post. This is the team and our season in a nutshell.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Three of the four teams that are still playing are in the upper right hand quadrant. If that's not significant, I don't know what is.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wait doesn't BMI already take height into account?? If so then height is being double-counted here. This is just penalizing us a lot for being short.

14. kjayp

Keeping Clint while acquiring Roco would have been ideal... adds a whole nother spectrum to what we actually trotted out. Jockeying back and forth between small ball and a conventional set based on circumstance is all i was ever looking for... lol
    Imo... Russ is pure dynamite! The dude epitomizes many traits you want - the heart, the passion, the energy, the sheer explosiveness! These are traits we desperately need as Harden can sometimes be more low key. WB is filling the GG void - lol! Just as everyone said you paying CP3 for 'leadership' i believe the same can be said of WB - just in a different way... Prob is when WB is off - he's pure crap and painfully so! We just have to learn to mitigate those occurrences. Harden has had the occasional game where his shot is pure crap, thankfully he's learned how to contribute in other ways in games when his shot is off.
    We simply need multiple options and the ability to ride the hot hand. Our downfall was painting ourselves into a corner with limited options... and then the defense limited our options further with the double teams... and next thing you know we're living and dying based on whether or not Russ is on tonight - which can be a very bad place to be - lol.
    It was similar to before Harden learned how to contribute in other ways on nights where his shot is off... Then we just lived or died on if he was making em or not that night...most often it was good - but some nights sucked. lol
    Its all about having multiple options and adjusting the game plan based on whatever you're encountering on any given night - whether its the defense or somebody's off or an injury or whatever else... the game within the game...
    The right coach is going to be able to harness the greatness of 2 former MVPs and hopefully build a solid support system around them.

HP3 likes this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's why it's about t h i c c, not about fat. ;)

16. HP3

HP3 Member

See I can agree with some of this. But the problem is that Russ leadership....really doesnt mean anything tbh. Cp3's leadership actually led to tangible results. With Cp3 weve never gotten blown out like chumps like this. He plays with heart...but he lacks the IQ and that "heart" quickly just turns into recklessness. The problem here is that the guy is not a former MVP player anymore and he hasnt been for 3 years now. ...Its unfortunate by I dont see any of his positives leading to high level winning.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Did you lift a lot? Because that's the only time when BMI isn't indictive of whether you are overweight.

18. fattz

fattz Member

The Rockets are my people

Easy and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  19. rockets13champs

BMI is Kg/m3 that is Weight divided by height.

yeah that what doesn’t make sense about this chart

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

BMI is a terrible measure of fitness for athletes.

That being said PJ and Harden dummy thicc.