1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Value-Oriented Rockets set to meet the Summer of Overspending

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

From #pursuit to #value.

Exciting times.

2. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Don't you mean the Cheap Rockets?

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

clutch confirmed zhou qi as les's personal selection? the last time les hand picked a big man was dalembert and we all know how that turned out...

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

#Pursuit at Ross

Maybe they can get a sponsorship deal with them.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Nice work, Gents. Had a chance to finally listen. It's like we have our very own Rockets version of The Ringer. (meant to be a compliment cause I enjoy listening to that podcast too)

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

BimaThug with the reverse-jinx on being OK with Lin at the right price.

7. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Max for Horford and 17M for Bazemore seems like a good plan. Thats like 40-42M there, then possibly resign Dmo using rights and fill out bench with MLE money.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Love you guys and your podcast HATE HATE HATE how the org goes about it's business.

With money to burn we hesitate and hope that scraps fall of the table....another year of Harden's prime out the window.

HURRAY ORG !

DD

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Hesitate? I wish that were the reason but I don't think the Rockets are falling short on money offers here. Who did they not offer enough to? I'm assuming they're offering the max to Horford.

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

With the crazy money being spent , a poor signing can turn into wasting the rest of hardens prime vs one year of it .

The rockets need to find a number 2 . I'm not sure if anyone left on the market outside of KD is .

We probably should rebuild, we won't due to Les .

Regardless we need to rebuild our image and our identity as a team . It's gonna take a season .

Maybe there are some players left that can help . Maybe not . There are players on this team that are also fully capable of having a better season this year than last .

It will be interesting to see how much dwights departure is addition by subtraction. James will have a lot more space to drive this year .

1 person likes this.
  11. DaDakota

Quality role players! Chasing Horford is fine, I hope we get him, but with 3 other teams in the mix, chances are not high.

Meanwhile there are 27 other players that have been scooped up, and pretty much all of them are better than Bazemore.

BTW - Bazemore just took 2million less to stay on the Hawks - that should tell you what players think of Houston.

I just believe that we are alway shopping in the bargain bin, after we miss out on the main guys we want. I would like to see us taking some risk with players like Joel Embid at Philly - guys that have been injured by show promise - as 2nd round picks are not going to cut it.

Just frustration Clutch, we used to be a place that STARS wanted to play, now we are a place with an owner everyone know is cheap, and a GM who flips too much that players are wary of coming here.

Just so frustrating - if we can't get anyone good, I am all for dumping Harden and going full on rebuild.

Wasting 1 year is poor management - and gets him closer to leaving on his own.

DD

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It's not over yet, but Dallas, LA Lakers are saying the same thing.

I think the Rockets have been frugal in the past and it has both helped them and hurt them at different times, but what I'm saying is I don't think that was the case here. I think their down season, loss of Howard, has really hurt the Rockets as far as being viewed as a team you can go to and win now.

Again, I hate to bring this up again, but it's one of the many reasons I did not like the the Rockets making the playoffs on the last day of the season, sacrificing that pick. That was a valuable pick.

If the Rockets strike out on Horford, then we'll see what happens with Ryan Anderson ... I would tend to think the Rockets get him at that point. But that's not a championship core or anything. It will be very interesting to see what Morey and company do with cap space after that.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Let's go fishing in the offseason instead.... :p

14. DaDakota

Interesting, I don't think players around the league respect Howard at all, but I do believe they are not enamored with our front office.

If I was a Free Agent I would not sign with Houston unless I had either a "No Trade" Clause or a significant Trade kicker.

And Teletovic would have been one of my top targets.

DD

#34 DaDakota, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  15. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Les Alexander and Mike DanTony is not an attractive couple.

This matters.

16. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm not saying you are wrong and that players don't think this way because it's certainly possible that they do, but i just can't imagine them being naive enough to think this way and let it affect their decisions. every single team in the league treats their players like assets and flips them as soon as they can get one iota better by doing it. and every player knows this. that's why they all say "it's a business." same as every player talking about loyalty and then leaving for one extra dollar from some other team. that's just how it is and everyone knows it. if a player really avoids houston because they think they'll get flipped and that their other choice will just love them and treat them right, i don't know what to say to that player. and as for stars, they certainly can't think that way because people don't flip stars. daryl morey doesn't make it his life's mission to acquire stars just so he can flip them. this guy held on to yao ming until the bitter end until he retired.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Seriously? Maybe the fact that he played for Atlanta the last 2 years, is familiar with the organization and the community and perhaps never really felt like leaving. We set a price for him and Atlanta got close enough for him to be happy. That's far far more plausible than your notion he didn't want to play for The Rockets.

Who exactly are we missing out on? I am honestly completely underwhelmed by all the guys that were available and overwhelmed by the money that's being thrown out for them. I'm not even sold on Horford but I'd take a shot with him.

You and most of this forum are currently filled with the my neighbor got a new toy so I have to have one too. I get that way too but if you look at the big picture we haven't missed out on anything. We all want something different and something to be excited about but let's not get stupid.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

EDIT: nevermind. found feigen tweet saying we offered $70M too. Did not know that and couldn't find it in the ugly heap that is the Bazemore thread.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Teletovic, Bayless, and Augustin all would have been small improvements at reasonable cost. Now we're looking at overpaying Anderson and restricted free agents.

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes, I don't think the Rockets have hesitated, flown under the radar, or have been cheap. Free agents just aren't interested in the Rockets.

This is a damaged franchise right now. Harden is a great player, and other players respect his talent. But, I don't think Harden is the guy other players really have a strong desire to play with. The firing of McHale eleven games into the season made Les and Morey look like amateurs. The hiring of D'Antoni looks like we got leftovers after all the top names wouldn't even consider the Rockets.

This franchise is broken. I think a proper rebuild is called for.