1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Dwight Howard's a Rocket, is LaMarcus Aldridge next?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

What room? Dwight, Harden, Aldridge + extras = max cap, removing Lin doesn't give any space, it just lowers our team salary and removes a player for nothing.

2. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

its not only Lin. u moving Lin (8M)+ Asik (8M) + Donuts (1.5M) going out sal is 17.5M and coming in would be LMA (14.6M) + leonard (2.2M) coming in would be 16.8M so if u look at it it does lower our team salary not by much.

and we dont need to involve leonard. if we dont get Leonard we can offer LMA something in range of 16M / year for couple years.

3. Aleron

Yes, so you're sending Lin out for nothing, and getting nothing back and not gaining any salary space since we'd still be at the cap.....Why the hell would you do that? (and Leonard is worse than Cole Aldrich, why would we want that? lol)

4. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

thats the reason why its a 3 way trade. u cant expect something good from both teams. and if ur getting a all star player in this trade for a good C and decent PG. than i think its a good deal.

5. Aleron

You're sending Lin to Milwaukee for nothing, why does Portland (you know the guys sending out Aldridge?) care about what Milwaukee gets?

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This Gif is good luck

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we can trade Asik for LMA straight up with draft picks and maybe some young talent like a DMO from a cap perspective, then obviously we'll do it. Portland doesn't want Lin and they will give up on trying to pry a starter away ultimately as their leverage decreases and they realize LMA is out the door anyway.

The fact that LA got nothing in return for DH will sit on their minds. Should be an interesting Feb!

8. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

How does this three-way trade everyone is talking about work in the context of the Potland, LaMarcus Aldridge situation?

Does Portland say something like, if you're not going to give us Parsons then we want Harrison Barnes. Houston then trades Lin for Barnes and then sends Asik and Barnes for LMA? I just don't know how a three team trade comes together in this situation? What are the steps? I have a feeling it could be fantasy.

If we get LMA at the deadline, we will have trade something more than Asik + PFs to make Portland bite.

9. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Beat me to it, but THIS.

10. Manos

Manos Member

Why would Portland do that? They have no need for a PG, it's not like they would want to sit Curry or Thompson in favor of Lin. Plus the salaries are not even close.

11. autoprt

autoprt Member

interesting but i don't see this happening.

12. gamor

gamor Member

can be happening if it is three team trade.

portland don't need lin, that's obvious, but portland has to trade LMA since they are rebuilding and LMA request a trade.

13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Wonder if Eric Gordon could be had for Asik, and if we can flip Gordon to Portland.

14. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

That's why you have to trade Lin, to bring other assets to Portland. Asik+DMo/Jones+Evans/Casspi+picks may work monetarily, but They would most likely want something else, so you trade Lin to teams X, bringing back either an expiring or mediocre player, and get assets from that team sent to Portland.

It's simple really.

15. Jah

Jah Member

Those that question how we can get Aldridge by getting nothing back for Lin, obviously just don't want Aldridge because they prefer a cripple weakling like Ryan Anderson or that no-defense-having, Kevin Love. Neither of those guys will NEVER be a Rockets.

We going with Aldridge or someone like Nene Hilario and if you don't like it, go join Minnesota and watch Rubio, Love, Budinger, Pekovic and boys like that, play ----who knows, Ryan Anderson can join them at the trade deadline too, and you'll have a starting five of "boys like that." Just don't push those guys on the Rockets. We don't want no R.Anderson or his Love.

Now, the way the Aldridge trade could work---

Bucks Gets:
    Lin

Buck Sent Out:
    J.Henson

Blazers Get:
    Asik
    J.Henson
    DMO
    1st rd pick

Blazers Sent Out:
    LaMarcus Aldridge

Rockets Get:
    LaMarcus Aldridge (14 mil)

Rockets Sent Out:
    Asik (8.3)
    J.Lin (8.3)
    1st rd. pick

Rockets' outgoing salary = 16.6
    Rockets incoming salary = 14 .0

A cap-saving close to 2 millions (don't know Aldridge's exact salary amount. It's a little over 14 millions.)

With the loss of Asik, we can sign M.Camby.....and Camby would come if he learn we'll ship Asik now or at the trade deadline. It's a win for all parties involve and I see not reason how this trade hurt us for giving up J.Lin.

With our Big 3, Harden can be that primary facillitator. Plus, we still have Beverly and Brooks unless I.Canaan surpasses expectations. It's a good trade to make for the Rockets.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The Bucks would rather resign Jennngs than do that I'm sure. If Morey is able to trade Lin ANYWHERE without giving away picks to get rid of him I'll be shocked. I literally don't see a team that would take him, not even Charlotte or Philly. I mean go team by team... there's either someone getting paid, someone just drafted, someone just better, or a team tanking. I suppose if Jennings leaves that Milwaukee might be interested but Jennings is restricted and doesn't look like anyone wants him anyway.

#256 CometsWin, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  17. Jah

Jah Member

That's pretty much what fans and sport writers are saying around the league about Lin but that's speculation at best. Nothing grounded in reality. There's a saying in the NBA, "no bad contract is untradable" and so far, that fact stands.

A lot of Sport Writers are of the assumption Lin's contract has a balloon payment of 15 millions in his 3rd year but GMs around league knows better. They know the cap-hit is 8.3 evenly for 3 years. And a salary like that is average for a good PG so Lin's contract is not toxic like most fans/sport writers think.

An argument can made that it would be difficult to shop Lin as a "centerpiece" of a trade.....and that would go for Asik, Parsons and DMO as well because the market don't see guys like that as franchise or thoroughbred quality players. It just the way it is in the NBA, if you know what I mean.

However......in the Bucks case, they have a B. Jennings that don't want to be there. The team have to look ahead and act now or lose Brandon in free-agency. They're a small market team so their chances of landing a good PG to play for the Bucks is a fading pulse-line.

Teams will take Lin in situations like the Bucks are in, or Lin would have to be packaged with another quality player to get teams to bait. Asik and Lin is an ideal package but Asik is more valuable to us than Parsons.

So, what we do is keep Lin til the trade deadline. And while doing so, build up his stock which he'd certainly be able to do with Howard in the fold. His value will rise by the trade deadline and then we can strike out for a good haul like Aldridge.

I rather we do it before the season start but it doesn't hurt to keep them til the deadline snd build their stocks up. I still think we get Aldridge with just Asik, DMO, Lin and 1st rd pick.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

LaMarcus would fit great here in Red Nation. Would be a dream come true in some of our eyes indeed.

19. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I don't have anything against Lin but....I feel like Jeremy Lin = Trevor Ariza in the sense that they got paid to potentially be a star only he isn't . No body wants those contracts so I'll be pleased if Morey can get any value at all in return.

20. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Unfair comparison. Trevor Ariza had every opportunity to step up and demonstrate he was worth his contract and he didnt. Lin signed the contract thinking he'd have that opportunity, but then of course Harden was traded to the Rockets and he(Lin) had to adopt a different role.