1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston shouldn't turn its back on Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I cracked the code!

[​IMG]

2. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I am not ready to escalate the situation to a rep, but I have been forced to turn around and give my two cents a few times. The 10-10 with 14 rebounds game was one of those times.

3. sabesque

sabesque Member

I think this is kind of the point. What exactly has Dwight done since coming here to deserve the negativity that he receives? The "distraction" is not earned, not deserved and largely driven by sports media who LOVES the clicks that come with stretching out controversial narratives.

Totally a valid question the role of the traditional center. But Draymond Greens aren't readily available, and so far, no one else in the league has been able to solve the problems that GSW's personnel create. So to rephrase the original question, what's the better alternative?

4. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Eh. screw em. Some people just enjoy complaining. Hell, Scarlett Johansson could be speaking in to their pink microphone and they would b*tch about her split hair ends.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Great to hear Clutch's takes. With so much negative reporting, its hard to know what's what.

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

As Clutch points out Howard has really done nothing to deserve a good bit of the negativity that surrounds him. However, he is responsible for some of it - especially the questions about his desire to do what it takes to win. The reality is that I simply don't care what costume he wears to Comic Con, how many baby mommas he has and how much of a fun guy he is on and off the court. All of that stuff is noise as far as I'm concerned. My interest is solely focused on the basketball fortunes of this team. If Howard, Harden, Lawson, Beverly or any of the others cannot advance this team's fortunes in this respect they should be gone.

Now that's what we should be discussing - what DM and the coaching staff should have been focused on since last year's WCF. Instead this team looked like it kicked back and expected to glide into the 2015-16 season on a high note and when things started falling apart, DM panicked, fired McHale (and now looks to let Lawson go as well) and so far has been two steps behind the rest of the teams in the West. All they are doing so far is spinning their wheels going nowhere.

7. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  8. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Any trades will result in us not reaching the WCF, will take to much time to get the chemistry required. However, this current team will not come close.

My only concern with Dwight is that he does absolutely zero to improve his game, we don't need a good guy in the neighborhood, we need championships.

It's quite evident that he has quit on us, with that big goofy smile on his face

9. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

is Clutch a DOF??? :eek:

10. dmoneybangbang

Pint sized guards?

AB?!?

Isaiah Thomas!?!?!1111

11. RyanB

RyanB Member

THIS THREAD SHOULD BE STICKED

12. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Clutch I totally agree. IMO personal values and character are an important intangible that goes into a winning culture long term.

I spotlighted Dwight on this Episode of my LOVE Cafe Web Series. For the kinds of reasons you shared.

http://houstonsvoice.com/2015/12/01/love-cafe/

1 person likes this.
  13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Pint=16oz=#16=Pau Gasol

14. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

Nice to read a positive article on Dwight. I'm a big fan a Dwight and think he's been pretty good this year. No he doesn't have much of a post game, but if throwing it down in there a few times a game early helps the team, then do it. I'll say this, I'll take a Dwight post up over a brewer 3. Unless morey pulled off some magic trade, I'd b sad to see Dwight leave either now or in free agency.

15. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Amen.. Harden just doesn't settle well with me. He needs to grow up some.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think people are misunderstanding the difference between Dwight the performer on the floor, an the guy the media makes him out to be off the floor.

Since the second he decided to sign here, the media has gone out of their way to make him out to be a diva, and he has done absolutely nothing to deserve it. It actually started literally when he decided to sign here, that BS about waffling when he just wanted to talk man to man. Then he didn't like his teammates, then he didn't like Harden, then he was faking injuries, then he was unhappy with his usage. The media portrays it as if it's always something with him, when in fact we have seen him be nothing but professional who has played his best when it mattered most.

His athleticism may be declining, so I'm not positive about keeping him right now, but that's different from not wanting him because he's a loser and a headcase.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Scott, it's entirely unfair that a man of your age has such a head of hair (I'll try to keep my envy under control!), but entirely groovy that you're helping to spread the word of acts of love by those who do so much when they could kick back and relax, examples of selflessness so needed in this cynical world. Being an ardent Rockets fan is icing on the cake. Dwight doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves and perhaps you don't, either. Kudos!

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Late to this article as I was away for the weekend but wanted to say BRAVO to Clutch for that article. Well said. Dwight is not the "overall" superstar he was in the past, but he still brings a lot to the table. Look, everyone has deficiencies. We're not always in position to pick and choose the perfect roster addition. Dwight brings a lot to the table right now with his defense and that is something this team needs a heck of a lot of these days.

And maybe if Codman is talking about PINTs he is talking about beer. Beer from Milwaukee or Toronto. How about Patrick Patterson? How is he doing these days? He's still a pretty good team defender, no?

1 person likes this.
  19. rocketman4325

rocketman4325 Member

That declining guy was the most consistent player on the team in last years playoffs. And has been giving the most effort in this years disappointing start.

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this completely. The man has done nothing but do as asked of him. He may be on the decline but unless you are getting Marc Gasol or Anthony Davis, Dwight has shown he can still keep up with the best of them when it is needed. We are in a win now situation and should be able to win now. If anything he just needs to be more vocal with his team mates.