1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: Post-Trade Deadline Moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Mar 15, 2016.

1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I see - that was my understanding from the article too but it didn't make sense to me why we would be paying a player to play for another team. I thought the Smoove issue was different. He was making a higher salary in Detroit; since they used the stretch, they would be paying him the salary stretched over a longer period of time; meanwhile, we signed him using the biannual exception, and any money over that Detroit would be responsible for. In Thornton's case he was a vet min; I guess this means that the Wizards can sign him for free but we still pay his vet min? Just seems kooky.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

There is such a thing as a right of "set off" in which the waiving team is entitle to reduce its payment obligation to a waived player by an amount based off the player's salary with his new team. The waiving team can set off 50% of the amount by which the player's new salary exceeds the one-year veteran's minimum (that minimum amount being based on a full season's salary). However, Thornton is only making the prorated veteran's minimum with the Wizards, so the math there would not result in any set off being granted to the Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

That makes sense - thanks Bima! Great article.

4. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Please give yourself a raise in pay at your job, i am sure you are worth it.

I would kick in a BiamThug tip jar if one was started. You save a lot of us lame and deceased brains (me) from embarrassing ourselves;).

I really look forward to the post that you do. It is a bright spot to look forward to.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Great info, as always, Bima! THANKS!

Beasley and Goudelock seem like very shrewd moves... scorers who will either be cheap contracts next year or waived without any downside beforehand... nothing but upside potential...

6. basketballholic

Didn't realize the difference was only $3.27 million.

Perhaps we could do it without giving up McDaniels. That could be accomplished by releasing one of Smith/Terry and then Terrence and having those guys picked up by another team. Perhaps Portland? Maybe Orlando?

I simply won't believe that Les will pay the tax for this group if they miss the playoffs until and unless it actually happens. I know the odds are we make it in to the playoffs. But .... if we don't....I think we cut a deal to get out of the tax. And I'm not sure we won't cut a deal to get out of the tax even if we go to the playoffs. There's no reason for us to keep Jones to play. We'd simply be holding him for his birds rights for a possible sign-and-trade during the summer.

And it's not just about paying the tax. It's about being able to participate in the tax split dollars and more importantly to not trigger the start of the 3 out of 4 seasons in the luxury tax that triggers the repeater tax.

7. BimaThug

Supporting Member

It's certainly not outside the realm of possibility, but at this point I think it's highly doubtful the Rockets duck the luxury tax this season.

As far as the "repeater" tax is concerned, I don't think the Rockets are too worried about that. They have never paid the luxury tax under the current CBA (they last paid it in 2010-11, *before* the league started keeping track of taxpaying years for repeater tax purposes), and it's unlikely they'll be taxpayers in the next year or two with the cap (and, consequently, the luxury tax threshold) skyrocketing.

While the D-Mo trade represented a way for the Rockets to duck the tax in the process of adding a valuable asset (a mid-first round pick), I don't think it's the be-all-end-all goal for Les Alexander that you do. Otherwise, I don't think you would've seen the Beasley or Goudelock signings.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

This. So much for Le$ is just concerned about making money and doesn't spend to make the team better :rolleyes:

What I'm wondering about though is there really no repercussions for Detroit rescinding the Dmo trade because of a "failed physical"? DMo has been healthy the last couple of games and he has been starting, running and taking contact for significant minutes, its tough to argue he failed a physical check when he is playing like this. Don't the Rox and DMo have a case against detroit, esp. for DMo what Detroit essentially tanked his stock for next year. For the Rox the rescinding deal cost them not just an asset but also tax dollars (they not only have to pay $$$, they also lose out on the share of the tax pot that gets distributed to teams who didn't pay tax).

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Bima I read recently that we would have a max amount off cap space of 41 mil? Is this true???

We we're 6th on the list and the only playoff team was Boston ahead of us.

That's huge if true we woukd be a playoff team with James Harden under contract among others and 41 mil in money to spend.

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I don't think the Rockets will have much of a case against the Pistons here. While Detroit's voiding the trade is definitely fishy, it was within its rights to do so. Houston even granted them the extension of the physical inspection period.

D-Mo and his group might have an actionable claim there, but it'll be hard to prove.

The party that REALLY got screwed by the voided trade was the Sixers. In reliance on the consummation of the trade, Philly waived Jakarr Sampson (a spot starter for them) in order to add Joel Anthony to its roster. By the time the trade was voided, Sampson had cleared waivers and signed with the Nuggets. So not only did Philly not get the 2nd rounder from Houston for taking on Anthony's contract, they didn't get Anthony and they lost Sampson with no way of getting him back! The league may consider altering how waivers work in scenarios like this as a result.

Read my post earlier in this thread. Rockets may have anywhere from $30 million to $44 million in cap room without having to make any trades, depending on whose cap holds they keep on the books and where exactly the cap comes in at. That number does NOT include Dwight, so subtract whatever any re-signed Dwight salary might be from that total amount.

11. basketballholic

Agree. Sixers got hosed. Strange thing is I haven't seen anything about them appealing to the league about it. Or did I miss something? If you were the GM wouldn't you have appealed with the league office to get Sampson back?

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

SVG's 'claim' was DMo's long-term health considerations; that makes claims against them exponentially harder to prove.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sure they were hosed. The rules were the rules and holes therein exposed. The likely fallout IMO is that there will be tweaks about when a team must waive a player before a deal is finalized (physicals passed).

After the first Jet's non-trade when he had his watch on his wrist 20+ years back they tweaked to an earlier deadline.

Who finds all the holes at the time of writing the CBA? (Hmm, I can think of one person...)

14. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Will we really have enough cap space to have almost 2 max contracts ready this summer?

Does Dwight have to leave for that to work? With Brewer and jones have to be dumped?

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets can have 2 max contract slots.
    Dwight will have to be renounced/leave to make this happen. Or he can stay and take one of those max slots.
    Jones will likely be renounced.
    Brewer (or Ariza) will have to be traded to open up room for 2 max slots.

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Brewer then. Ariza? He's still a great defender and knows his role.

17. basketballholic

Waiting to see if Terrence gets released in the next few days. I simply refuse to believe Les is going to pay an extra $2.4 million just to carry Terrence's bird rights when we're obviously not going to bring him back. I'll be shocked if he's not released and picked up by another team who wants to take a look at him. That's an extra $2.489 million in the Rockets pockets just to get another team to pick him up without having to pay anything but $1,000 waiver claim and possibly one paycheck to Terrence to have his birds rights.

#37 basketballholic, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lets go all in on Durant so he can turn us down and we miss out on other quality players.

19. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Besides Durant and assuming Howard leaves my wish list is:

Kyrie, Noah, Conley, beal, butler, and any other big SG

I've come to think harden needs another capable passing 2guard like kyrie or someone. Even in Okc when harden came off the bench he was more of a PG than Westbrook

I want Capella to be our starter next year but I really love Noah for his attitude. Whiteside seems no better than what Capella is capable of bringing in the years to come. I think Capella is a little soft sometimes but I think if he actually played a steady 20-30min a game every night he will eventually become conditioned to it and harden up. I know people our amazed when I say he's only 21(my mavs fan of a roommate says he's the only player on the team he respects lol). Whiteside will also want a max so **** that too

20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Curiosity lead me to compare Dwight and hassans advanced and regular stats. Hassan is better in every aspect it appears, orb%, drb%, trb%, block%, 0-3ft-fg%, fg%, ts%, ft%, dprm, def rating, everything. He's a knuckle head but so is Dwight.

For comparisons I also checked Drummond who is by far and away the best rebounder but graded out slightly less defensively.

So I started thinking about Capella, he's worse then Dwight and hassan at most categories, but is young and improving. He is certainly capable of starting IMO and it would be a much better allocation of assets to start him at his reduced price and bring in someone like horford, who grades out excellently defensively but also can stretch the floor.

Hassan is the shiny name and better at this point than Dwight and would come at a cheaper price but I think adding someone like horford makes the team better and is a better use of asset allocation

Horford I think would cost around 24-25 mill I believe so you could still be capable of of 15-18mill of leftover cap space, if you could trade just brewer with maybe a montrezl as sweetener you could get up to another 25 mill or so.

That would allow you to try and steal a Conley or Harrison type second creator/3rd star. But you could also move ariza or beverley and get into range for Durant. Obviously that's the best scenario but it keeps us open to multiple avenues.

Also an under the radar player I would also like to get would be Millsap, still highly underrated.

#40 BigMaloe, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016