1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Nets @ Rockets 1/13/2005

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 13, 2005.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I saw that interview with David Wesley where he said that playing for JVG was nothing like he expected, that he expected JVG to always be serious but that he could be funny. DW looked like he was a happy camper, coupled Sura's quotes about JVG, maybe he is a players coach.

Anyway, for once I think JVG and CD are doing their jobs. Liked JVG putting in Motumbo to guard that inbounds pass with .7 left, like his offense/defense rotations at the end of quarters, like his defensive adjustments during the course of a game. He is flat out coaching.

I have to give some credit to CD as well, he saw the lack of chemistry with the Lue/Jackson/Nachbar Rox and that a change needed to be made. He made them (changes) and the team is better because of them.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The only thing I have to say about last night's game is that it is good to know that the Rockets can play that horrible and still win. It's good to see that when Yao is that bad and McGrady is banged up that a win is still possible.

Other than that, it was a painful game to watch.

For all you Yao haters out there, last night was totally an aberration. He was definitely playing very hard but just couldn't get it going. It was a back to back after a tough game against the Mavs in which a lot of running took place. My only wish is that the Chinese federation will do what is best for their best player and best ambassador. Give the man a summer off. He is tired. If all you're worried about is winning the Asian title, prove you can do it with any Chinese player. If Yao is allowed some off time this next offseason, I guarantee that he will produce what we all know he is capable of producing.

#262 leroy, Jan 14, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

A win is a win.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

not if i have to give it a max contract, i wouldn't.

5. tiger0330

:) Yao smokes, that's why he has endurance problems. JVG has to get him to cut back to 1/2 pack a day.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Exactly how many other players average 20 and 11? How many of them will get max contracts if they don't already have one?

7. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

You've REALLY gotta quit talkin about refs here...I mean REALLY now....I don't know what Yao's problem is, but it's very embarressing to have these broadcasters commenitng every time aqbout , "Yao needs energy, Yao needs to suck it up, Yao needs to slam the damn ball in the hole for krists sake already ! or words to the effect.." I don't dislike the guy, but would you pick him for a seventh game with the title on the line ? Could you afford too ? Dekembe again shows how much desire and atitiude have to do with it, the ole man. I think he ought start some games and give yao some perspective over there. That, of course, will never happen. Rod Strickland could reallly seal the deal for us, definately matching my 6th place finish, or higher I see here now. And steve francis ? who give a sh*t bout that little punk now ? Bob sura is a MAN, and T Mac is so much more then adverttsed in the manliyness area, ( who even came close to understanding how much he cares about this? Nobody on this forum that's for sure ), , and Yao better wake up or he'll be trade bait to some stupid team that can trade the farm for a glue factory special....Also, NO MORE DUMPING ON Van gundy allowed right now >>>>there, I feel so much better.. p.s. I know, I know, Yao isn't going anywhere any time soon...les, you are a very good owner, thank god god for that..

8. jscmedia

Yao Ming smokes cigarettes ? Good God, no wonder the little fella ain't got no oxygen...man that should be forbbidden in any future contracts for damn sure !

9. jscmedia

Soupmkan don't be dumb enough tt EVER compare Yao to Hakeem....how pathetic..obviously you didn't watch Hakeem play from the first or you woludn't post that comment...statistics only tell a small part of the story...picture this.....a point guard stands at the three point line, ready to shot a 3 pointer...nobody is on him...oh my god the whole season hangs in the balance in game six...suddenly out of no where comes an avenging eagle swooping down as if from the sky.....unwilling to let his team lose, unwilling to bend or break, unwilling to and refusing to lose....if Yao Ming ever has such a play I will eat my shorts..stop smoking cancer sticks dummie....

10. bravo six

bravo six Contributing Member

I'd like to see/hear the way he said it, I imagine he was laughing as or after he said that.

11. tiger0330

From the article that Lopez wrote about Bobby Sura

Without Sura on the floor this night, the Rockets would have lost. No doubt about it.

With his teammates sluggish and McGrady hobbling after straining a quadriceps at the end of the third quarter, it was Sura who knocked down shots over his defender. It was Sura who sliced through the lane and grabbed a huge offensive rebound in overtime. It was Sura who played 43 minutes, showing the pain of his bum knee only in the Rockets' huddle.

"I'm going to play the way I always have," Sura said. "I'm not going to make a big deal out of it. I do what I can do. I've only known one way to play my whole life. If I play, I have to go full throttle no matter what's bothering me or what's hurting."

He wasn't trying to be a martyr. In fact, when asked about playing with pain, Sura grimaced more than he ever did on the court, uncomfortable, even, with the question.

How do you spell WARRIOR "SURA". Agree with you, way too many negative posts by the haters.

12. Cesar^Geronimo

A win is a win

especially the night after a big win over a contender.

Champions win by different people filling in on different nights.

The night before we may not have won without Howard.

But Bobby Sura is starting to exert himself as the emotional team leader. The Mario Ellie kind of guy.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

well Max...thats you...in a perfect world...neither would I....

but that is the state of the league these days.

marginal big men who bring what Yao does more often than not get damn near max level..
    add to it the increased exposure, and the fact that teams have to double and threaten to triple him to keep him from having good games....means that if we dont...someone else will.

and I would rather we do.

Im not saying we shoudl be happy about games liek this...but it isnt like he does this every night...he is a threat to score 20+ every night..

14. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

To me, Yao's play last nite, although hindered by the officials was inexcusable. Yao's got to learn how to play through that both mentally and physically. Those two missed FTs last nite where totally inexcusable. The only thing he brought to the table last nite was pretty good defense and a little bit above average rebounding. Learn how to let go of the frustration and hesitation, and just play YAO!

15. Charvo

Charvo Member

I've said it a thousand times. Yao needs to get a jumper in order to negate the effect of biased officials.

16. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

heh, during the top of the 4th he had one jumper that looked good but went in and out.

17. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

It sure doesn't help the issue when Yao plays the way he did, but I do nitice during the last couple of games that his teammate didn't throw him the ball when early in the shot clock and defense had not completely set yet.

I could see that Yao wanted the ball to revenge for the embarassment in some possesions, but..the ball never came.

Sura, although played with heart, did especially a bad job in decision making of this.

18. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

Agree!!!!!! Sura few pass ball to Ming

19. mitbbs

mitbbs Contributing Member

I just heard that Yao did not take shower right after the game. Instead, he had weight lifting and stamina training for some time before he met the media. It seems he is really mad about himself and hope he will nail spurs.

20. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

It doesn't matter. If you don't, someone will. If you try to trade him, you won' t get equal value. Because by then, the ones whom he is willing to sign with knows they can wait till he becomes FA.