1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] As Howard sacrifices minutes for wins, Bryant cripples Lakers’ future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

LOL

You can always tell who does and doesnt understand the importance of the salary cap when reading responses like the ones in this thread.

Funnily enough, the people that dont get the cap are also the most strident Bryant fans.....coincidence? I think not.

Regardless of past value or perceived future value(top 5 player at 35 with a archilles injury?? lolwhut) the salary cap is a very real and very important aspect of the NBA and with him taking up 40% of the cap there is no way they can build a contender and no, King Kobe isnt going to be enough. You can take that to the bank.

Winners sacrifice for the team, obviously he doesnt want to win in the future *that* much.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Maybe he hasn't been a prima donna, but he does sometimes reveal his immaturity with stupid technical fouls. And it is weird that the fact that he was playing so badly that he had to be benched for the 4th quarter got spun into a good thing.

3. Lihao

Lihao Member

What kinda sacrifices minuted you expect ? No player would go and tell the coach don't play me, play the other guy. He didn't complain nor bother by
    McHale decision to bench him , he's even cheering for the team on the bench , high five with the players after they scored . That's look pretty good for me that he's willing to sacrifices for the team

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent, R2K! The Cat wrote a solid column pointing to the hole Mr. Bryant has placed the Lakers in (or maybe it's a PortaCan), and while I can express my admiration for his effort in more than just a post, with you I get a message that I have to spread stuff on my lawn, or some damn thing.

5. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Think he won already, got the money and the rings. Salary cap - that's for the owners to worry about not employees. Winners sacrificing? What are we in communist China? This is America!

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I don't think his bad play was spun into a good thing. If that were the case, OP would have written "Meanwhile Howard tanked his own minutes for the purpose of giving Asik some PT and fostering team chemistry."

OP claimed that Howard was mature about riding the pine. Sure, maybe he sucked bad last night, but he didn't pout about being benched. The point was about self-interest v. winning. Kobe chose self-interest over wins; Howard took the win without making self-interest a big issue.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It is good that Dwight was happily cheering on Asik and Co. last night, but I do wonder whether he will be as happy of this happens, say, once every 7-8 games or in a couple of playoff games.

8. Play07

Play07 Member

While I agree with some of your posting I want to point out a few things

Kobe has 5 rings, and is has helped that organization be able to sale $2,000-$5,000 court side seats that have been sat in by some of the best in the entertainment business for years. (PR)

Howard is making the basically the same kind of money here in Houston which also handicaps the rockets CAP that you speak of, the difference is Howard hasn't won a championship but is on record saying that's his main goal, & being mad watching the heat win while he was at home last year.

Anyone can argue who should have took less to WIN. A guy with 5 rings past his prime, or a guy with NO rings past his prime.

I have nothing against Howard taking his max or Kobe, but it's 2 sides to every story...

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You probably want to read up a little more on communism and/or China before making that statement.

10. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

As a max player, Dwight does not deserve any props at this time. There are a only a few max players playing worthy of their contracts this year and Dwight isn't one of them.

He made mental mistakes and his effort was less stellar so far. Offensively he is a huge liability with his woeful post ups, and the sheer number of times he kept asking the ball does not make him less selfish.

This is not bashing on Dwight reply and I still believe his time will come during playoffs. That's how max players should be judged.

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Your patriotism is beautiful. "Yeah, baby, I'm American, gimme some money. Go to hell, Pau Gasol: you are a foreigner. . . . Can't take the 'me' out of America. . . . There's no 'I' in 'team,' but there's an 'I' in 'paid' . . . . I am American so gimme some money!"

12. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

I'm an economist and spent several years of my life there.

13. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Invisible hand has worked well for this country.

14. Lihao

Lihao Member

you don't get it don't you ? It's not about what he did , it's what's he going to do ! I can guarantee Kobe won't be the same player at this age after serious injury . it's obvious that Lakers needs help to be able to compete in the next few years , Kobe latest huge contract basically cripple the team's salary cap and road to NBA Finals .

That's pretty much "i don't care about winning no more , i just want my money!"

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

16. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

I get it and so does he.

17. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

GO THE WIZARDS!!!

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

No, this team already had a whole bunch of young guys signed, like Harden, Lin etc. The Lakers have Nash; Gasol will be departing I guess, especially since this Kobe deal, and then? The Rockets don't have the same needs as the Lakers do in the next 2-3 years.

Yes you are bashing him. Why "should" Dwight be "judged" after 15 games?

Has worked well for you. The invisible hand has no mind.

19. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Then you should know China isn't a communist country. No communist countries exist.

But this is off tangent. No need to bring politics into this.

20. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Weren't you awarded as Officer in Patrol of Criticisms Against Rockets Players? My apology Officer! I'll TRY not to do it again...