1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] As Howard sacrifices minutes for wins, Bryant cripples Lakers’ future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Nov 26, 2013.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

See I thought you signed the contract before you played the season so unless Jordan is from the future there's no way he could have known he'd win titles without more help.

Dwight is just one of the most aloof players in the NBA. It's perfectly legitimate to question Dwight's intensity level or his desire to win. When Dwight wins a title or five then we can compare him to Kobe.

The contract is obviously a measure of how much the Lakers value Kobe's legacy as opposed to their ability to attract free agents. The Lakers aren't morons, they understand the choice they've made.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol @ people that still question what Duncan does for the Spurs

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You're arguing just to argue here. You know extremely well that the past is a good predictor of the future, when it comes to NBA teams. Spoiler alert; there's a good chance the Heat are going to be contenders come May and June. Probably the Spurs, too.

The situation of the rebuilding Lakers, currently, is not even remotely comparable to that of the 1990s Bulls. Sorry.

As to your last point, yes, I get that entirely. I'm not saying they're morons. I'm saying they made a very calculated decision for the next few years to prioritize Kobe's legacy -- and the glamour that comes with that -- ahead of winning championships. Dwight saw that, wanted to go to another organization that prioritized winning titles over the near-term, and was criticized for doing so. Meanwhile, Kobe was put on a pedestal for his "winning' mentality and actually had the audacity to tell Dwight that Dwight needed him to teach him how to win.

Several months later, it's completely obvious: Dwight wanted to go to a contender over the next few years, while Kobe and the Lakers wanted what was best for their own legacy.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

I thought Howard had reconstructed his $22,000,000 a year contract, to $14-16 a year so the rockets could have options of keeping certain players & and adding on other players to try to get get his first ring.

we talking about Kobe that has 5rings & then comparing it to Howard minutes? Not at ring we talking about minutes ? not a championship we talking about minutes ????

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Looking forward to 3 more years of Kobe D-riding in Lakerland with less and less justification.

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

:mad::mad::mad:

I wish they would have signed Kobe for the next 5yrs at 24mill yr !!!
    Freakin Fakers they can't even get screwed correctly!!..:rolleyes:

7. ryebread

ryebread Member

i am not one of those people. tim duncan is the best pf to play the game. but he's old now. he still does some great things, but the spurs are TP's team now. that isn't saying duncan is garbage. you can call the thunder durant's team and still think westbrook is an all-nba player, which he is.

speaking of which, it's ironic that someone from this forum laughs at the perceived lack of appreciation for Duncan. this forum is filled with hate for all-world players like westbrook, melo, and kobe.

8. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Mchale choose to go with the bench guys and won. It has nothing to do with 'sacrifices minutes' from DWH.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If anything, Tim Duncan deserves more from the Spurs than Bryant from the Lakers. Duncan has kept them relevant ever since his arrival to the hole called San Antonio. He never complains about playing time even though Pop routinely limits his minutes. He has never demanded to be traded. He never complained about touches or role or anything. And he accepted a salary less than half of what Kobe has just signed for.

Kobe ran Shaq out of the team. He then demanded the Lakers to rebuild on the fly while threatening to leave. The Lakers were terrible with him as the solo star. And he literally also ran Howard off the team. He doesn't deserve half as much as guys like Duncan and Garnett.

Even if he did, there are other ways the franchise could pay him and honor him after his retirement without crippling the team's near future.

10. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Even with all the injuries, Lakers are still at .500. Pretty good for a team left for dead.

11. Lihao

Lihao Member

Yeah wait until Kobe come back and chuck them to the wonderland lol i cant believe people actually defending him for that contract , basically you people said was Kobe>Lakers team , and some of you complaint about LOF, what a bunch of KOF , i felt bad for the Lakers Only Fan lmao

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Who was Kobe going to sign with again? Are you telling me Kobe would turn down $15, or $20 million a year? The Lakers made a PR move, not a championship building one.

13. hatwin1976

hatwin1976 Member

With Kobe retires, what assets LA has that can offer to other teams to avoid a long rebuilding process? Without one superstar, you could not allure other free agents to come. Without a valuable asset, you could not trade for a superstar. I do not know where the confidence comes when you say it won't be a long rebuilding process.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Oh yeah? Well... You're a stupid article.

(Also, I'm not going to take your word on the short rebuilding process.)

15. Remii

Remii Member

Parker was having an MVP caliber season last year... At least before he got injured. Duncan was darn good though and he was just as important. I can't really disagree with your assessment.

16. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Honeymoon period.

Wait until Howard played a playoff series and then come back and revisit this thread.

17. Lihao

Lihao Member

eh? seriously?You going to compare Jordan contract with this? How about the record of the team before the contract was signed?
    Jordan---Bulls set best regular season record ever 72-10 ,NBA Champions .Jordan voted as MVP for both regular season and NBA Finals .

Kobe---Achilles injury, Lakers made the playoff as a 7th seeder 45-37 , got sweep 4-0 by Spurs in the 1st round.

See the difference?

18. Lihao

Lihao Member

Lakers also lost the best center in the league during offseason

19. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

The NBA will rig the ping pong balls so LA gets the number one pick.

20. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

That appears to be true for the Grizzlies game, however it speaks volume when one of the team leaders (Dwight Howard) states that he is willing to sacrifice his minutes and so should his teammates if necessary to minimize cruising/plodding to help WIN games moving forward.

He needs to improve on his self control with belligerent fans, made free throws in the game, and post play. However, his Dominance on the court & Leadership qualities are Shining Brightly.

#100 djperm, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013