1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] While angling for big fish, Rockets keep draft options open

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 21, 2014.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

No way a Wade/Bosh/Melo/James combo could exist in a team.

If the cap is set at 60 million, Wade/Bosh/Lebron will have to take less than 15 million then convince Melo to take the same amount when other teams can offer him more than 20 million a year. Even if they do convince Melo to take less, they would not have anyone on their bench.

The Heats biggest problem last season was Wade's decline and their poor bench. Adding Melo doesn't fix that unless he comes off the bench - not happening.

The only way Lebron and Melo could be together on a team is if Wade or Bosh leave. Wade isn't leaving. And they need Bosh to compete against other teams big men so they would be dumb to let him go.

2. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

The $50-55 over 4 years is Wade's final contract. There would be room for them to let Bosh and James expire and resign Lebron. This is how it ends?

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm with you here but those two are about the only what-ifs I have on Morey. Now, if you want to talk about draft futility, go back to his predecessor and look at how many times they (Rox) were in the lottery and the lack of success they had back then ending up with nothing but Yao Ming to show for it. Compared to that, Morey comes out smelling like a rose.

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Exactly, some of you guys are overreaching.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

True but Wade has indicated that he'll accept any role to remain with the Heat and the organization loves him for what he's done for it so I just don't see them dumping him. If anyone leaves, it will probably be Bosh - who also doesn't want to leave Miami. We'll know soon enough - James has to decide by tomorrow I believe.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

not like Murray is a great drafter anyways.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No. Pat as in 2Pat, PPat, Patrick Patterson :p

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

If we are looking at it from a talent perspective, I think that it is easy to see that the Rockets offer a better, younger and deeper roster to offer Lebron than the Heat do, even if Miami adds Lowry (which would help their PG need, but not their lack of a bench, or lack of rebounding, or lack of interior defense and would only marginally help their aging, slowing down roster)

Unfortunately for us, we would have to do more than just convince Lebron that our roster would be better. We would have to convince him that the negative backlash he would receive would be worth it. We would have to convince him that leaving Miami and uprooting his family for Houston would be worth it. And we would have to convince him, without a doubt, that we could get past OKC and San Antonio and GSW and LAC and win championships, multiple times.

It's all speculation at this point. We don't even know of Morey will have a chance to talk to him if he opts back in. But after going through years of players like Bosh, Melo and Howard not wanting to play for us and saying they wouldn't sign with us if we traded for them, it feels good being mentioned as a potential landing spot for these guys

9. Nook

Nook Member

Join the Mavericks board TrueBeaner.

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

The reports are saying that Wade might opt out of his current contract and instead sign something along the lines of 4 years 50-55million.

That would help give the Heat a little bit more cap room to work with, but with the way Wade has looked the past two years- a bad outside shooter who can't beat people off the dribble anymore and doesn't play much defense- that is still paying him too muh money for too long

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

you think he is a great drafter?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then you could also count in Luis Scola because he never played in the NBA before.

I guess about 2007 was his rookie year was it not?

13. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I'm aware of the Caroll Dawson drafts. I forgot Royce White bust which he admitted to. And the T Will acquisition that we gave up a 1R to Nets for, but I can't fault him for that being a low risk - high reward scenario..though some wood argue giving up a 1R was bad.

14. Sanity2disChaos

You tell um. :rolleyes:

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The sad part is. . . they don't even have the GUTS to do it in the west
    Not only would it be an all star team . .. but it would be going against the JV for the whole year

That would only have to play hard for 7 games a year [the finals]

Rocket River

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

You have to put all his moves in perspective. I think he has done a good job of getting talent and taking a few judicious risks. Before Harden, the most we were ever going to be was a middle of the pack, just short of playoffs team. Morey took some risks, like TWill and Royce, hoping to strike gold. He doesn't have to take those risks anymore.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think they're different games in of itself: Judging lottery talent, making the most out of mid-1st to early 2nd round talent, and retooling a pick to responsibly follow your playoff team's needs.

While Maori has proven to be good at the 2nd skill, the third skill is a bit iffy. Which isn't a slight since only a few GMs have ever made that work over half the time.

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

What's unfair about grown men choosing to take a 40% paycut to play where they want, when they are free agents?

19. Spooner

Spooner Member

-- one GReat hindsight

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I think JTR was more charismatic than you.