1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Scola's NBA dream now a reality after trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TreeRollins, Jul 14, 2007.

1. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Scola's NBA dream now a reality after trade
    Arrival of Argentine banger upgrades Rockets' options at power forward spot

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

LAS VEGAS — After five years of "dreaming," Luis Scola was too excited to sleep.

Unable to come to terms with the San Antonio Spurs to make the jump to the NBA, Scola reached a "basic agreement" with the Rockets less than 24 hours after the club acquired his draft rights from San Antonio along with Jackie Butler for Vassilis Spanoulis and a 2009 second-round pick.

"We're working on the contract, but we've got a basic agreement, an understanding," George Bass, Scola's agent said Friday. "He's so excited, he probably didn't sleep a wink last night. He's thrilled, this has been his dream for five years."

The Rockets quickly reached an agreement on a contract worth approximately $9.3 million over three years, with a large payment upon signing from that total to help Scola pay the $3.2 million buyout from his contract with Tau Ceramica. The Rockets will also contribute $500,000, the most allowed by NBA rules, toward the buyout.

"There is nothing we would anticipate being a problem," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. "We have to sign him to a contract. He has to finish getting bought out of Tau. But we feel good about both of those things happening.

"We have a strong structure of a deal in place. We'll get it done."

The talks with Scola were far enough along for him to take and pass his physical Friday in Argentina.

"Luis is healthy," Morey said. "He played all the games with Tau down the stretch last year and in the playoffs. The doctors found no issues."

With the Scola trade approved, the contract almost wrapped up and Butler already sitting on the bench of his new team, Morey made his first contract offer to an NBA free agent, Rockets forward Chuck Hayes.

"We're getting Chuck back," Morey said. "We offered a multi-year deal. There will be sort of an incentive type structure to it. At least, that's what I'm proposing. We have to get closer together, but it's not like we're in different arenas right now."

Hayes' agent, Bill Duffy, also said he imagined no problems reaching an agreement.

"They want Chuck back," Duffy, who met with Morey Friday the Thomas & Mack Center, said.

The Rockets did not stop there. As expected, the Rockets completed a two-year, non-guaranteed contract with former Rice forward Mike Harris, one of the stars of the summer league team. The deal assures that Harris will be in the Rockets training camp, and comes with a limited guarantee, likely $50,000.

With 19 players either under contract or expected to be (including Scola, Hayes, Dikembe Mutombo and Bob Sura), the Rockets began looking to thin the roster.

"We're trying to find John (Lucas III) a home," Morey said. "He has a lot of interest around the league.

"I do feel like we have a roster now we can go forward with, but we're still looking for upgrades."

Butler said he felt about the same way. After rarely playing with the Spurs last season, he said he was initially stunned with the trade, but now saw it as a chance to earn more playing time.

"I talked to Pop at first," Butler said of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. "Pop told me no hard feelings or anything like that. It's cool.

"I just want to get somewhere and start playing a little bit. I'm there now, and nothing can turn it back.

"I'm going to come in and play my role, grab rebounds and block shots. My mom lives there, so that's good right there. I got my mom on my side. I'm just happy. I'm going to Houston."

Scola felt the same way.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/4967808.html

2. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Man just thinking about next season is giving me the chills..can you guys say championship yet?! :D

3. francisfan4l1f3

So i guess the rockets are trying to move lucas in a trade....i guess we cant get much for him as of now.....what do yall think?

4. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

didn't Phoenix want him last year? Maybe we can get a future pick or something out of them

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

After signing a Summer League Standout, trading for a 12th man rotational player and a guy who has yet to play an NBA game?

No. I don't think I can say championship. Get a proven forward and then we'll see.

6. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

you think the chron could've resized the picture of scola a little bit?

7. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

How about adding our most pressing need, a pg who can actually shoot. We also essentially added a scorer in Bonzi. We were not very far at all from the West finals last year getting a solid pf, and 2 very good scorers will most likely put us there or at least as a major contender.

Stop being so pesimestic.

8. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

It turn out, the Rockets got what they are looking for. But Morey seems like still looking for an upgrade. I think we got our GM standing up high for alll of us. Priceless!

GO ROCKETS!

9. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Sounds great, glad they are looking into getting rid one of our pg's Lucas.

You noticed Morey has been open about everything he has done? He doesn't hold back in the media, he tells all and still gets it done. I love it, Dawson would always say "We are looking into this and that, leaving our options open" as Morey comes out "We will probably get our PF through a trade and not a FA Sign, we will select what we feel is the best player in the draft (we got a pg even though we are loaded on pg's) even if he doesnt fill a need, we are shopping lucas"

10. Jd1

Jd1 Member

Great move Morey! I'm very excited about next season :D

11. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

yes he mentioned about "finding a home for lucas" around the league but I have a feeling head will be involved in it too. I rather see head stay then novak!

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think that's more of Lucas demanding a trade. He pulled out of Summer League then went public about his situation in Houston.

13. Possum

Possum Member

Me too!

14. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Wish he had said he was looking for Alston a new home.

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

I wonder what Morey is looking at there? Replacing Alston, Snyder, or adding a vet PF?

Now Scola is on board. Do the Rockets still sign Landry or instead ask him to play in the NBDL/overseas while retaining his rights?

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

we scr3wed the spurs

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

How sweet it is! :D

18. Dei

Dei Member

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

it is still sweet!

come on beta! let's go!