1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Mo Taylor returns tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Batman Jones, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2233282

Taylor itching to play

Rockets forward returns tonight
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The clock would not allow explanations or show mercy. Maurice Taylor could be just another Rockets player the rest of the day, killing time as he always had on the team charter, riding the early bus to road games, and warming up as if there were something to warm up to do.

But he knew that time would come when he would be different. Every night, 90 minutes before tip, Taylor's suspension for violating the anti-drug program required that he leave the Rockets fraternity and literally be on the outside looking in.

He could not buy a ticket and sit in the stands. At home games, he could not entertain in the private suite he has at Toyota Center. Instead, Taylor would rush from the court and through a quick shower and leave the arena at precisely the time most veteran players casually arrive.

"Being away from the team during tough situations kind of hurts you a little bit," Taylor said after his suspension was lifted Monday after six games, rather than the previously announced 10. "Those are the guys you're with every day. Those are the guys you really count on to keep you abreast of what's going on. Then you have to leave the gym at game time. That is kind of hard. Plus, we haven't been practicing a lot, so I feel like I've been away from the team a whole lot."

The indignity of a penalty he believed he did not deserve was frustrating. But Taylor, who will be eligible to play for the Rockets tonight against Golden State, believed all along he would be exonerated.

Still, before every game, when Taylor was ready to be another NBA basketball player, he was reminded that he was not.

By the time he returned Monday from his meeting in New York and was permitted to rejoin the Rockets in the locker room after their game at Philadelphia, Taylor wore a smile as bright as the lights he missed. But when he was asked about his nightly pre-game exits, the smile was gone. He looked down and in an uncharacteristic bit of brevity said, "I'm just glad to be back."

The NBA agreement with the National Basketball Players Association did not allow league officials to discuss details about the drug testing, its findings or Monday's decision to end Taylor's suspension. Taylor said he was not permitted to comment about his case.

But the players' union withdrew its grievance and canceled its hearing before an arbitrator, indicating Taylor's appeal was unnecessary and that the fines -- worth $86,666 for each game he missed -- had been rescinded.

But because no statement was made, Taylor was not vindicated. In a statement released by the Rockets, Taylor assumed responsibility for violating the anti-drug policy. Any exoneration he won was largely kept private. Because he had previously admitted to violating the anti-drug program, any damage to his reputation by this case was generally not repaired.

"You've got to take the good with the bad," Taylor, 27, said. "It was a bad situation. You never want your name linked with that. Hopefully, with me coming back sooner, it kind of let a lot of people know it wasn't all on me."

If the public did not know, his teammates made the argument for him. Though they said they did not know the details of the case against him or Taylor's argument with the findings, the Rockets said Taylor insisted from the start he had not violated the program and that Monday's decision served as evidence he was right.

"It's great for him," guard Cuttino Mobley said. "Forget us. That's great for him, because a lot of people prejudge us. To understand he's innocent makes it better. People make mistakes. (The medical director of the anti-drug program) made a mistake. It's definitely going to help us. We want him back as soon as possible. But I'm just glad for him it's over."

The Rockets went 4-2 without Taylor, a 6-9 forward. A lack of depth might have been especially damaging in the second loss, which came at Toronto in double overtime.

Coach Jeff Van Gundy said he did not know how he would use Taylor tonight. Taylor was allowed to work out with the team during the 10 days of his suspension, but the schedule allowed for just one practice in that span. Taylor participated in the Rockets' few shootaround practices, but those are generally preparations specific to that night's game.

"It's not like I missed a lot of time," Taylor said, "but I missed a lot of reps. I'm going to get in the gym. And I've been working out on my own a lot with (Rockets strength and conditioning coach Anthony) Falsone. Jeff makes sure of that. But that's not the same. I just want to get back on the court, get back with the lights on."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rockets summary

Decisions to make

With Maurice Taylor coming back from the suspended list, the Rockets will face several roster decisions today.

The Rockets had 12 active players with three on the injured list and two, Taylor and Eddie Griffin, on the suspended list. When Taylor is activated, they will have to release one player, and they could have another move coming with guard Eric Piatkowski close to returning from his left ankle sprain.

Forward Alton Ford was signed when Taylor was suspended. But Ford played in the first half Sunday in Toronto, indicating he could figure in the Rockets' plans. Ford did not play Monday in Philadelphia.

Center John Amaechi has not played this season, but coach Jeff Van Gundy said Amaechi has been held out only because he is the third center in a two-center rotation and because Van Gundy doesn't use veterans for mop-up duty in routs.

The Rockets could practice on Thursday, giving Piatkowski his first five-on-five test. Mike Wilks, who has played 16 minutes in four games, is the only guard who is not in the rotation.

Regardless of any roster changes the Rockets make, the benches will be crowded tonight. Before making a roster move, the Rockets had 17 players under contract. Because of their many injuries, the Warriors were granted an exception to add a 17th player and signed former Rockets forward Dan Langhi last week.

Good signs

Ten games into the season, the Rockets have yet to lose consecutive games. And though it's early, there could be the first signs of a trend.

"We have to work for that mental toughness," guard Cuttino Mobley said. "We probably laid down last year. You never know."

This season, the Rockets seem to have improved upon their greatest shortcoming in each loss with their performance in the next game.

In a loss to Memphis, the Rockets had 24 turnovers. The next game, they cut that to 15. In the loss to Dallas, the Rockets were outworked and generally passive defensively. They forced seven turnovers in Dallas but forced 20 the next night against Phoenix. On Sunday in Toronto, the Rockets had just 11 assists in a double-overtime game. They had 16 with just 26 field goals against Philadelphia.

"Playing four in five nights, we didn't make a lot of shots, but the ball moved in the first half," coach Jeff Van Gundy said.

"I think we're really trying. We got knocked down pretty good (Sunday) how we lost. I thought the guys did a good job getting back up again and really did a good job of limiting free-throw attempts (Monday) until the second half. But for the most part, we tried a lot harder.

"We have to play smarter. We know that. We've got the hard-working part down for the most part. Smart is the next frontier for our team."

2. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

so who do y'all think gets the boot from the team? Will Ford be shown the door just as he was settling in? My guess is yes . . .

3. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

good article, good to know that our bloated DNP list will start to contribute in the coming weeks. I do feel bad for Amaechi, especially after that comment because our "two center rotation" really isnt a rotation when both our centers are playing 38 minutes for a 48 minute game. does anyone know if Amaechi has any role on the team whatsoever, if not even a veteran voicebox? because it seems he really is our fourth center after yao, cato and the few minutes that braggs is in. poor guy, i feel bad that his role is even worse than jason collier last year, at least collier got to start for the tip off a couple times, meech is just wasting fabric wearing the uniform.

4. JamesC

JamesC Member

I'm glad to see Mo return to the lineup. He was playing really well before the suspension. It seems his suspension has increased his desire to play. As for who gets cut, its gonna be interesting. Ford does seem the most likely.

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

My guess is both Meech and Ford leave as Mo and Pike return.

6. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Will Adrian Griffin ever return? If so, who gets cut then with MoT and Pike returning also.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I think we still have Ben Davis waiting to get well so we can cut him.

8. droxford

droxford Member

Ok, there's something I don't understand, (and I confess that I'm just too lazy to dig through the countless posts on the MoT Suspension thread)...

Why would the players' union withdraw its grievance and cancel its hearing? If they did so, why did the NBA reduce Taylor's suspension? What happened?

-- droxford

9. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I just can't wait to see MoT and Pike back in the rosters.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Simply put, the NBA agreed with the union that the suspension was not warranted as evidenced by the fact that they returned Mo's docked pay. If it was a decision that 6 games was enough of a suspension, then his pay would not have been returned.

Since the fine was rescinded and Taylor was reinstated, there was no need to continue the grievance. It is not mentioned, but perhaps by dropping the grievance and hearing, the union keeps one of its 2 'expedited' hearing exceptions.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

From what I gather, MoT did do something technically against the rules (like take some medicine he wasn't supposed to) but not enough to warrant the 10 game suspension. MoT and the Union appeal to the league. MoT has a legitimate case that the penalty was too harsh. The league does not want to lose face and turn this into a bigger issue so they strike a deal with the MoT and the union.

The league says we will give you all your money back if you withdraw your grievance. We won't say what you did wrong, but we don't have admit that we totally screwed up.

The Union and the League made the best out of the situation.

MoT gets all his money and gets to play and league doesn't have to admit that they overreacted and were partially wrong.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The rumor was that MoT took anti inflamitory drugs for his shoulder and that is what triggered the suspension. There never should have been a suspension to begin with and I think that is why the fine was rescinded.

13. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

but then why didn't we have him back for the game against Philly?

We heard about the reduction in suspension before the philly game, right? It seems that if there never should have been a suspension, then he would have been available immediately, right?

14. verse

verse Contributing Member

motay couldn't make it to the philly game in time. he was on a train, from what i hear.

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If MoTay did nothing wrong at all, then why did the league not issue an apology and why did MoT take responsibility for it? I think he did do somthing against the rules but just not enough to warrant a 10 game suspension.

16. verse

verse Contributing Member

well, if it was taking an anti-inflammatory drug that registered on the drug test as "against the rules", then technically he did violate the rules. however, it seems the league and players association both saw it as a ridiculous infraction. so, yes, motay took responsiblity for violating it, but it was agreed upon by all parties as nonsensical.

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Welcome back 'Big Mo'we need you! 12 points/game,
    ***3 assists**** 5 rebounds. Take only open shots or pass the ball to one that is open.

18. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you can't cut a player that is on the IR. I that same situation came up last year with Pete Mickael.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Double post.