1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Change is coming for Rockets, but in what form?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Feb 9, 2011.

1. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

You guys have to remember that if we rent Melo, we will get assets back if the new CBA is like the old CBA in which there is the Bird's right.

We'll do a S&T.

I won't fault Morey for pulling a risky move, but honestly, we weren't going anywhere and we were going there fast.

2. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

renting anyone is stupid
    see pippen vs getting barkley

we have no street cred, we are a washed up team
    and im sure the same article could be written about the nets/cavs/wizards/kings/etc

we are furiously trying to make this team better.

3. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

SERIOUSLY! We could bring in CP3 and I don't think Adelman would put him in the game.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey has often stated on radio interviews that players don't tend to leave millions of dollar on the table. Common sense, to be sure, but very often true.

LeBron and Bosh and maybe Wade signed, I think, for just a bit less each so that they could chase a ring together.

Carmelo stands to lose so much money that Morey is willing to trade for him and wave that gazillion dollar extension under his nose, then either convince him to stay or sign-and-trade him under less-than-onerous terms.

I just hope when it becomes screamingly obvious that he's getting shut out of any talks that Morey has his plans B, C, and D ready to spring.

Risky and desperate, to be sure, but that's where we are. No superstar and never on national TV.

5. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

Yea, because there are better GM options available than Morey. Or not.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Morey's back is clearly up against the wall - we can't continue with this roster as it is.

We've got a lot of dead wood to clear out, and are in terrific need of a bonafide franchise guy (preferably at C or SF) and a solution at center.

I'm a-okay with a Melo rental, even if it is a short term move. I'll be satisfied with a plan B of bringing in a couple guys like Hilario if that doesn't work out.

?
    Pippen wasn't a rental - he was a max contract S&T.

It didn't work out because Pip's back had gone out the season prior (degenerative disc), he was done as an elite player, but couldn't come to grips with it - lashing out at Rudy T for "not using him right" and acted out like a petulant child in the offseason hoping to force a trade back to daddy Phil and the Lakers.

7. SpaceCityKid

SpaceCityKid Rookie

Denver could opt out to keep Melo till' the offseason, any S&T with picks involved would be more concrete, in other words draft picks will have their exact value. I just don't see Demver going in that way, and more likely will squeeze every drop out of the Melo dilemma.

On the other hand Morey could do just that. Renting us a franchise player, that could potentially break and sign that nice hefty extension. Morey will bring in others to persuade him, but at the same time try to make them contenders in the post-season.

In the end if it fails you can at least say you tried, on to the next one.

8. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Justice is such a bomb thrower. He works really hard on creating a provocative 'hook' and almost never backs it up with any meaningful information. It's obvious the Rockets will make changes and as 'back up' he asserts that the Rockets would rent Melo - an item that has been reported and debunked. Find some REAL substance for your articles Justice! If you do you would actually 'do' some 'justice' to your profession.

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This. I agree that Denver could very well take this same approach. Other than the distraction of having a lame duck superstar for the rest of the season, at least Denver could make the playoffs this season. Plus, they could hold out the dim hope of forcing him to re-sign with the Nuggets. Regardless, they could get almost exactly the same value from NYK that they're currently being offered, minus having to eat Eddy Curry's expiring contract. (No, I don't believe that MIN will eat Curry's salary for them in that ridiculous proposed three-team trade.)

As an aside, I would like to point out exactly what the New York Knicks are currently offering Denver for Carmelo:

(1) Wilson Chandler: Yes, he's a nice young player who has improved his overall game this season. But his numbers are inflated due to playing in D'Antoni's system. More importantly, because he is "getting his numbers", Chandler is going to want a big payday this summer. The fact is, the Knicks literally COULD NOT keep Chandler and sign Melo as a free agent. Chandler's cap hold alone would prevent that from happening, so even if they timed it just right, it wouldn't work. Not under the current CBA, and not under the new (and what will most certainly be a more restrictive) CBA.

(2) Eddy Curry's expiring contract: This "asset" (if you can even call it that) is necessary to get any sort of Melo-to-New York deal done. The ONLY benefit it could serve to Denver is allowing the Nuggets to reduce their team salary (due to the "125% + $100k" salary matching rule) and to save some luxury tax. That's it. And it probably won't even save them that much money, either.

(3) A mid- to late future first round pick: The best future first rounder that NYK can hope to get for Anthony Randolph is most likely the Utah Jazz's pick currently held by Minnesota. Well, that's likely to be in the late teens or early 20s. Whoopdy-freakin-doo.

Seriously??? Come on, New York! Get real.

Why wouldn't Denver just say, "The hell with it! Let's just wait until after the lockout to deal with New York." Then, when free agency begins, see where Melo (who gets royally screwed in this scenario, money-wise) truly wants to land. Barring some seriously unforeseen circumstance, the new CBA will still give a player's former team certain contract advantages over signing with another team outright; so Denver should still hold SOME cards with Melo in sign-and-trade scenarios. Other than saving a few million bucks this season (some of which they could recoup just by making the playoffs), it seems like an in-season trade doesn't hold much appeal as opposed to this wait-until-the-offseason approach.

So, let's say New York is the spot, and Melo would even be willing (reluctantly) to sign with the Knicks outright to a somewhat smaller deal. In that case, Denver could still likely sign-and-trade Melo to New York in exchange for a signed-and-traded Wilson Chandler (assuming he's on board, which he probably would be, since he'd get his payday in the process) and/or Danilo Gallinari (if Chandler isn't willing to play ball), a recent or future Knicks first rounder, whatever recent or future pick could be had for Anthony Randolph (or Randolph himself), and a trade exception for the difference.

Unless another team (like, hopefully, the Rockets) knocks my socks off, if I'm Denver, I just wait.

But maybe that's just me.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

In white sticky liquid form?

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Given what NJ was offering, and it still not satisfying Denver, id say they want shoes, pants, shirt and underwear in addition to socks.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'd imagine they'd take that deal now. But it's a moot point. New Jersey was never offering Favors in any deal that didn't involve Melo signing an extension first. Since Melo will not do so, it was all idle chatter in retrospect.

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Carmelo would be too expensive for us unless he resigns. In essence if you want to go ahead and clear cap space and tank to draft welll next year? then by all means get Carmelo and lets begin the tanking for the 2012 draft and have free agent money for the 2012 Free agents. Which if thats Moreys plan? Then I am on board.

14. kgw

kgw Member

An article that analyzes the Rockets' roster without mentioning the impending expiration of the collective bargaining agreement lacks any credibility whatsoever.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My feeling is this. If Morey gets Melo without an extension signed (most likely), then its possible after we have him, to start exploring what other star player may want to play with him. Even unsigned beyond this year, his presence could facilitate attracting someone. If it did, then Melo may (unlikely but possible) reconsider staying.

If he goes, and the above doesnt occur, then we can go with your thoughts.

Either way, it puts us closer to contending or closer to high draft picks.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

and... I am starting to come around to going along with your way of thought as well. Maybe we should rent him??? I do think we should now. Good point. :)

17. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

"It's been a long, a long time comin'
    But I know a change gonna come,
    Oh yes it will."