1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Check the Record" - Larry Dierker

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by thacabbage, Oct 9, 2001.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

That was his answer in response to "<i>Why Dotel and not Jackson.</i>"

<I>what the hell is that!?!?</i>

somebody fire the man right now.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

OK that doesn't sound like "Octavio Dotel was dead and thus unavailable for this game." Time for someone to get their fire on.

3. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I don't even get what he was saying.

was he saying, "check the record" meaning "check my record as manager for 5 years"?

or was he saying, "check the record" meaning "check jackson's record against the batters atlanta had coming up in the 8th"?

or was he saying, "check the record" meaning "check the record playing backwards in my head that is the voice of satan instructing me not to put in octavio dotel"?

will someone further explain what he was saying?

my personal opinion is that, at this point, dierker wants to be fired. I think he's fed up.

4. francis 4 prez

LMAO!!

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Damn, was I the only one who had a bad, evil feeling when Jackson came in?

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I had that feeling too, ROXRAN.

Let me go on record right now to say that I will not be speaking to the media about the Astros until they are out of the playoffs.

7. pooh222

pooh222 Member

Dierker is a total idiot. I had a very uneasy feeling when he put Jackson in, and if I'm not mistaken, I heard some boos in the crowd when Jackson took the mound. This team is just snake bitten in the playoffs, and it doesn't help when the manager makes very stupid decisions. There was totally no excuse for Jackson being in their ahead of Dotel. If Dotel wasn't hurt, he needed to be in there.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I had that bad feeling when they showed him warming up in the bullpen.

9. francis 4 prez

I just remember thinking please let someone else get up and warmup also. But alas, they didn't, and I knew we were ****ed.

10. haven

haven Member

My reaction involved a Larry Dierker voodoo doll and a few choice expletetives...

...thanks to clutchcity.net chat, people actually had to listen to my ranting! ;)

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

People are blaming poor, little, itty, bitty, scampering, anorexic, error-proned, nappy-headed Julio Lugo for this loss, when in fact it's all Dierker's fault. No, I'm not being sarcastic. I feel sorry for the dude. It's his first ever playoff game and he makes a horribly crucial error. The cameras were all over him in the dugout as he sat there frowning with puppy dog-like eyes, as he put his head in his hands and as he watched the bottom 9th with a sullen, It's-all-my-fault expression. Man. I really detested him, but for some reason he made me feel that way - sorry for him.

It's Dierker's fault. Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker, Dierker.

Dierker.

Next time you may want to put in someone who has never thrown away a 7-run lead in the bottom of the 9th with two frickin outs.

DOTEL LIVES.

SO PUT THE DAMN DUDE IN.

And try-just try Senor Jose Vizcaino tomorrow. Aight?

:mad:

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I thought that shortstop who bungled a routine double play ball looked a little too old and a little too white from my seats to be Julio Lugo. :rolleyes:

That being said, it was r****ded not to bring Dotel in.

13. EddieGriffin

EddieGriffin Member

OK, here's how Jackson and Dotel have fared against the Braves this year.

Jackson
    2 games 1-0 2.2 IP 4 hits 4 ER 1 HR 3 BB 2 K's 13.50 ERA

Dotel
    3 games 1-1 8.0 IP 8 hits 5 ER 0 HR 5 BB 8 K's 5.63 ERA

While Dotel didn't excel against the Braves, he pitched a hell of alot better than Jackson did. What "record" are you talking about Dierker?

14. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I knew the game was over when Jackson came in. I told my one of my friends, if the Astros win, Ill buy everyone dinner tonight. ( I swear this is true).

So actually even though they lost, Im happy I dont have to pay for dinner. :) JK

I hate Larry Dierker, the guy is insane. He loves to save his pitchers for some ****ed up reason. This game was Houstons till his ****ed up self brought in a **** pitcher.

15. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

"Check the record"

maybe Dierker's mental health records.

he sure was a kurt and rude boy during the post game press conference...

rH

16. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

is there anywhere where I could see the postgame comments? I live in dallas, and I can't get any of the tv coverage. I want to see what dierker's demeanor was like after the game.

17. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Hmmm. Maybe he meant dental records, as in "identify me by my dental records after the Houston fans get ahold of me."

18. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Regardless of who was pitching, the GD inning would have been over if Lugo would have fielded the grounder and got the double play. He didnt and we lost. That's it.

I was yelling at the game, "Where is Dotel???"

Didn't help then, doesn't help now. :mad:

Mike Jackson is not that bad, but Mike Williams BLOWS!

We WILL win game 2 today. Dotel WILL pitch.

Berkman will hit a homer.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If anybody is going to the game today, and sitting in sections 105 or 106, please spill a beer on the ugliest set of Braves' fans (isn't that redundant?) I've ever seen in my life. They were the most annoying group of idiots I've ever encountered, and I heard them say they would be back today.

You can't miss 'em, they're sitting in the last row and they look like some escaped r****ded circus freaks.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Personally, I'd like to see Wag's pitch two innings in that situation, but it's only game 1. we still have four more to win it all. If we can just win one of the next two we have Oswalt and Miller against a relatively weak Atlanta Line up. I like our chances. Milicki or Shane must step up to give us chance. Even if it doesn't happen today, which I hope it does, we still have a good chance to win this thing. I'm not going to blame Mike Jackson. The first hitter got lucky down the line. Just stuck his bat out and it fell in. The second hit Biggio got a glove on. Wagner gave up the big hit and nobody feels worse than Lugo, but now is the time to stick together. Let's go out and beat them today!