1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBSsports]How Rockets manipulated the salary cap to create a trade asset, become favorites for Iggy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jaychi, Sep 14, 2019.

1. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Gotcha. Missed the sarcasm. My bad!

2. fattz

fattz Member

They are all really great players. Iggy in his 76’s days got some MVP votes. My thought is we don’t need that much of a player if we have BOTH Harden and Westbrook doing their thing. (They would take away from our stars). IMO, serviceable role players work. Cost wise: 2 Tuckers = 1 Iggy, 5 Houses = 1 Iggy or 8 veterans minimum = 1 Iggy. I would take any of the 3 choices over Iggy at this point in his career for this current team.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Only the Guaranteed portions of those contracts count for salary matching - usually they are used to fill in small amounts. At times , teams will increase the guaranteed portions to reach the desired totals.

As for likely bonuses - for them to count they had to be met the prior year.

Teams also have to have an open roster spot for each player incoming in a trade.
    Make a 3 for 1 swap you have to have 2 open roster spots to accommodate that extra players.

kjayp likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets need to forget Iggy, $17M + FRP is too steep.

Target Josh Jackson (and Bruno) instead. Only $7M ($8M plus Bruno). Would give up FRP for former 4th pick in draft that is 6'8, runs baseline to baseline like an elongated Westbrook, blocks shots and rebounds like a fiend.

JJ off field issues have devalued his stock to Rockets benefit.

Need to think like Morey, get creative, get value, get younger.

fattz likes this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think that ship sailed weeks back … They appear to have moved on and built themselves a trade piece in this contract.
    Nene cant be moved until Jan 15 2020. I think they are looking at something more long term than Iggy , especially if they have to attach any draft assets.

It does open up a lot of options …. up to $12.5m with just Nene's contract.

D-rock likes this.
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Tilman, you magnificent b*stard.