1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Rockets implement a new system.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Hire Tyron Lue as Top Assistant starting next year, and gently lay off MDA in first few game. Try another system, where 2's are not look bad upon. Defense would be a huge step forward.

A system where every players can have a lot more freedom and Responsibility, and not just a one man show on the court. in pick n rolls, passing the ball for open shots anywhere on the court, Driving lane for fouls. Lets let Harden be the facilitator, and put him back at Point Guard. Bring in some players who can rebound, not just a offensive squad.

Highlyrated likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Implement a new system?! Nah, we're just gonna play our game. @kjayp

Firing the coach isn't gonna get you a new system. This is Daryl Morey & James Harden's system.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So your actual plan is to fire the head coach early in the season? lol

That's like a pilot's plan being to crash gently.

topfive, harold bingo and RyanB like this.
  4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

For better or worse, I hope people understand this. No matter who is sitting in that seat next season (other than a coach who has nothing to lose), they will be running Morey's offense approved by Harden.

By all indications, that's a layups and 3's offense and some mystery additional thing that they don't believe MDA brings.

There seem to be people on the board who think it's even slightly possible that we will have a coach who will be ok with midrange jumpers taken by non-elite mid range shooters. Those people are locking themselves into at least a year or two of disappointment.

Williamson, jordnnnn, Tfor3 and 2 others like this.
  5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

How about CP3 playing up to his contract?
    That would be a game changer.

RudyTBag, fattz, harold bingo and 3 others like this.
  6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

So you want to tank?

Ok, let's do it. Sucks finishing top 4 in the West.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

New system only arrives if JEHj departs. And the system is likely only different because it is Hardenless.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Don't forget it will also probably be less effective - the Rockets have been a not just league good, but historically good offensive team for 3 years now.

They have had the misfortune of playing in the same conference as another such team.

harold bingo likes this.
  10. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

That’s gonna be tough when Morey only signs fake 3 & d players for cheap hoping one of them pans out.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i say rockets should double down on the existing system...2 years in a row gsw needed the refs to beat rockets... thats a pretty good system i wouldnt mess with

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I was addressing 'new system'; not advocating same nor trade of the Mount Rushmore of Beards.

Q: let's just say the Rox were still in the East and playing the Dubs 4 of 5 years only now in Finals. Final outcome of said Finals is (tearfully) the same. Are we Rox fans happy to have been Finalists 4X or battered like Jim Kelly's Bisons?

13. varughese.arun

14. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

The system is good. We were a CP3 away to win last year and a long athletic forward away from winning this year. Our best line up against GSW in last decade was Tucker, Ariza, EG, Harden, CP3. We lost Ariza this year and added Rivers. What if we had both this year, no way we would have lost to KD-less warriors. It was a huge mistake on Morey's part to let Ariza go last summer. Now he needs to find a long/athletic forward and solid backup pg.
    We will see if Morey can play his magic again.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the system is Morey's system. the new coach will still iso harden to death and switch everything on D. the only thing we can hope for from a new coach is better game management. making the right subs/timeouts/playcalls. MDA doesn't do any of those.

the rockets don't even need to bring in a big name coach this time. MDA was used as a recruiting tool since he was on the olympic team and was close with a lot of star players. now we have enough talent to win, especially if we trade ego/capela and change for butler or love or another star.

so if we don't need a tactician, or a recruiter, what's left? the media darling! we need the media to love us instead of hate us. the media drives public opinion, which drives ratings, which informs how the NBA decides to gently influence outcomes of playoff series (yes I'm wearing my tinfoil hat today).

here is my list of coaches who the media would fawn over:

1) Becky Hammon - could you imagine the national recognition of the first female head coach? if the nba never fixed a game before, they'd do it now to get becky to the finals. oh also there's this little thing on her resume where she's got pop's endorsement. that's good enough for me.
    2) Mark Jackson - every talking head on sports news is a fan of Mark Jackson and wants to see him get another shot. every media outlet would praise his work in houston just to drive the narrative that he's successful and a great coach. if he can avoid the drama, buy into the morey system, and bring the defense he instilled in the warriors culture then he'd do well here.
    3) Ty Lue - championship pedigree, former player, well respected.
    4) JVG - same media connections as Jackson, better coach, less media love since he's not a former player and a retread coach.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Big fan of making this happen. Would bring a lot of positive attention and league support, meanwhile she is still heavily underrated.

jch1911 likes this.
  17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I appreciate the support for my unpopular opinion! she's an obvious choice since she is one of the best available coaches, and also because we need some positive media coverage and we'd be on the nba's good list for a change. I would go as far as to guarantee a championship in the first season lol.

hakeem94 and Mathloom like this.
  18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

does James Harden want a new system? There's your answer...

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think you are right …. its Morey and Harden's system. And to be honest , I cant argue with their idea. My only complaint is that they do it at a snails pace and are often left with a bad shot. If they would get into the offense quicker …. Harden can create a shot for himself or someone else every time down the court.

I just don't think they have had the right players alongside him. Cp3 isn't a good fit as he isn't a high percentage shooter from 3 nor is he a really strong defender. You don't get the good CP3 when he isn't running the offense.
    And they have never had the right guy at the 3 spot - swiss army knife guy that shoots a high percentage from 3 that can pass , shoot , rebound and DRIVE.

I think this system is ugly basketball …. but damn if it isn't their best option and it nearly knocked off that dynasty in GSW while no one else has come remotely close. (Toronto may beat them this year without Durant but that is irrelevant).

The one problem is that last piece of the puzzle - that swiss army knife wing. Those guys are hard to find.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. SemisolidSnake

Break up the team, hire some top NFL offensive linemen to block, I mean, set hard picks, to just open up lanes to the basket or space for stepback threes for Harden. Let Harden score all 110-120 pts in a game. Done. Preserves the system while thinking outside of it.