1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Can Harden defend Draymond effectively?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Feb 2, 2018.

1. basketballholic

Just wondering, after once again watching Harden deal Aldridge fits defensively, do you think he could replicate that against Draymond?

Specifically, can he make Draymond's post up possesions inefficient possessions for the Warriors?

Could he stymie Draymond when Draymond turns and faces him 15-17 feet out while in the triple threat?

Would he be willing to play Draymond straight up for 7 games and accept some limits on his offensive energy because of handling Green defensively?

This man demonstrated once again last night how absolutely ridiculously strong he is. He flat snuffed out a skilled seven footer in the low post, a former all-star no less, multiple times. He's got to be the strongest point guard/shooting guard in the Association. And he's got to be stronger than 95% of the wings and power forwards as well.

In fact, when I'm watching games and I see opponents trying to run post up against him I anticipate good results. I know those are high efficiency defensive possessions that more often than not result in stops.

So I'm confident he can defend Green posting up. But for how long? I don't know that.

And I have no clue how he would fair against Green with Green feeding up in that triple threat from 15-17 feet away. My instincts are that's exactly what Green would do. Turn and face, deek, and then dribble getting Harden on the move. And that's where I think Harden loses. When you get Harden moving defensively.

Intrigued though at the possibility of the matchup.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Why would GSW run draymond post ups when just about every other play imaginable would be more efficient?

3. mockster

mockster Member

Harden defense and effort has improved. Obviously he shouldn't be guarding draymond unless a switch but I think he's a more capable defender then he even thought.

Funny what can happen when you actually try

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

This is how you defend Draymond....you let his bi$#^ a$$ shoot as many broke a$$ threes as he wants.

5. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Also, I definitely did not get the impression that Harden gave Aldridge fits. Aldridge was killing it down low, including on Harden, until they stopped going to him and he stopped with the quick move and started waiting for the double teams.

Sean Dr34ms likes this.
  6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I don't see this being an issue. Not sure what Draymond post-ups generate, but Curry/KD pick and rolls are scoring at 1.33 pps, which is insane efficiency. Even as change of pace, a Draymond post-up has to be low on the totem pole for Kerr.

That being said, Harden is an underrated post defender.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

hard to be scared of a draymond post up, assuming the male genitalia isnt a factor

Space City, glimmertwins and hakeem94 like this.
  8. basketballholic

Ummmm, we think we know that to be the case. And GS doesn't run post-ups per se. They simply recognize mismatches and Green heads to the basket looking for the ball. Most of the time he catches it, not being in post-up position. And when he does post-up and catches in the low block it's because they didn't get the ball to him earlier as he was diving towards the rim.

But that presents its own problems because when he does post up its st the end of his dive and the defender has contested the pass to him earlier or the dubs swirng the ball looking for something else. Then when they do get him the ball in the post he's usually so close to the lip that all single defenders are helpless, including guys like Dwight. Haven't you seen this over and over?

But the preferred play for GS is to get Green the ball when he dives. And they are excellent at it. Which then allows Green to make all sorts of decisions on the catch while facing up from 15-17 feet. He can put the ball down and continue a drive. He can stop on a dime and quickly reassess (which is almost a guaranteed basket) he can continue in one motion without a dribble and flip up little 5-10 floaters with incredible accuracy, or he can take the dribble and flip into a very quick post up that's impossible for bigger slower defenders to respond to, or he can power through smalls. On top of all that his court vision at that spot on the floor is ridiculous and he can see any defender diving to help and deliver the ball to one of their great shooters.

That's why I'm asking these questions. Green is not LaMarcus. LaMarcus loves to catch, stop, and spin into his jumper or another back to the basket move. Green doesn't have to stop. He dives. He'll gladly accept the ball and maximize a myriad of options. Or if they don't get him the ball on the initial dive he'll just bump and grind a small defender while on the move until he's basically got the defender pinned way low.

IMO, Green is much, much, more difficult to defend than LaMarcus. I'd like to think Harden could deal with him. But we've obviously never went there.....at least not for more then possibly a handful of possessions over the last 4 seasons.

So, I don't know.

I do know this. The key to beating the Warriors is neutralizing Draymond. You can say is neutralizing Steph or KD. But that's ridiculous to conceive. It takes multiple defenders to neutralize those two guys and when you commit multiple defenders the other one, not to mention Klay and Green, is going to chew you up.

Green is the key. He's the player that makes them go because they can go small with him at the 5. You've got to be able to make him face guard at the three point line against a great shooter so he can't help defensively very much you have to nullify his interior offensive game that he takes advantage of when opponents match up small with the Warriors or when he gets to go against a big slower guy.

#8 basketballholic, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Seems he should. Draymond isn't gonna out-quick him or consistently out-muscle him.

Only a 2" height difference.

AroundTheWorld and djperm like this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If GSW is running postups with Draymond Green against James Harden, Rockets have already won.

hajkov, djperm, da_juice and 5 others like this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The alternatives are Durant or chasing Curry/Thompson around screens.

Green is by far the least demanding of their big 4. He's primarily a passer/screener in their offense.

seeingred likes this.
  12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Harden has never been a terrible post defender, or 1v1 defender for that matter.

If someone writes an extremely long post, with no links or stats, just ignore it. More often than not, these posts are narrative driven.

Help defense, on the other hand, he has some issues.

13. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Harden will put the clamps on Draymond and lock him down per @vlaurelio!

djperm likes this.
  14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

It's less a matter of effectiveness and more a matter of would it wear him out too much. With Aldridge, I'd be hesitant to put that interior pounding on Harden over 7 games. With Green, I'm not too concerned, he's not really that physical despite his reputation.

Harden isn't going to stop Draymond entirely. But Draymond gets 0.78 points per possession on 0.8 post-ups per game and 0.96 points per possession on 0.6 isos per game. Both of those are below the league-average possession (which is something like 1.05-1.10 points per possession) and WAY below the Warriors' elite offense that gets 1.13 points per possession so if running Draymond at Harden one-on-one is what we've reduced Golden State to we've done a great job.

15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

mavsprick fakerocketsfan will send us a pic of him rockets red in a sea of blue mav fans per @swyyyguy

still waiting...

but seriously are we more worryied about clamping down drays 10pts a game?

than his defense?

16. do work son

do work son Member

if golden state is running draymond post ups for offense, we've already won.

djperm and K-Low_4_Prez like this.
  17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

more importantly, how will they stop harden?

djperm likes this.
  18. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Funny what can happen when you have CP3 to share the workload, thus yielding more energy to expend on the defensive end.

djperm likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He could always guard the post well, but the problem was, when asked to do it full-time in an intense playoffs series, he fatigued quickly. Post defense is grueling. It's a wrestling match. It isn't something he was used to. Plus, he had to carry the offense.

But Draymond doesn't post-up much. And CP3 is here now to help Harden rest a bit on offense. So, yeah, I think so.

djperm and vlaurelio like this.
  20. thekad

thekad Member

The issue with Harden guarding Draymond is the Curry/Draymond pick and roll. Obviously any post up from Green would be a gift for the Rockets.